How do I fix this?

Jeanine
Jeanine Member ✭✭
I get an unknown institution message when I try to import my download from my credit union into Quicken. It has always worked in the past.

Answers

• Jeanine
    Jeanine Member ✭✭
    I use Quicken Deluxe 2020. version 5.15.1 on a Mac
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Jeanine,

How were you "import[ing] my download" - do you use one step update?  Do you know what your connection type is ( go to "edit account details" > "online services" and let us know what appears in the "online setup" section.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Jeanine
    Jeanine Member ✭✭
    I download the file from my credit union website. I drag the download to the Quicken icon. Then it used to load into Quicken. I don't know what one step update is. I have wifi. I don't see anything that says edit account details or online services or online setup. Where do I find that?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the name of the credit union?
    Are they still a member of the Quicken / Intuit download service or did they let their contract expire?
  • Jeanine
    Jeanine Member ✭✭
    It's the Fremont Federal Credit Union. The option to download in the Quicken format is still on their site so I would think they are still a member. I guess I could ask them.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Jeanine,

Okay, so you are downloading a file from the credit union's website and then uploading it into quicken.  Check the file extension - the file should be a *.qfx file - right?

Not sure why the process isn't working like it used to but what you need to do is locate the download file on your computer and make sure your Quicken file is open, then just doubleclick on the file and it should upload.

Get back to us if it still doesn't work or if the file type is something else.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Jeanine
    Jeanine Member ✭✭
    Yes, it is a qfx file. I tried double clicking on the file with Quicken open but I had the same result as before. "Unknown Institution"
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you tried this yet (if your bank recently changed their website or password requirements)?

How to refresh financial institution information (Branding)

Please read and follow instructions here:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/what-do-if-my-bank-not-listed-quicken-or-if-my-bank-was-recently-added-quicken

If that doesn't resolve the issue:

• It is the bank's contractual obligation to notify their Account Manager at Intuit Inc. of any changes to their websites and download functions in a timely manner before the change is implemented.
    • The bank also needs to notify their customers of this change and any actions that might be required by the customer to regain access.
    • If they didn't do that, complain to your bank's upper level management.
    • Also contact Quicken Support via Chat or Phone at https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support  and report this Online Banking issue, so that Intuit Inc. can be notified of the issue.  Ultimately, however, the bank must work together with Intuit on solving this update issue.

Please let us know if you were able to get this issue resolved (or not).

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay - maybe something happened to your file.  Try this -

1) open the account in Quicken and click on the Gear icon (upper right hand portion of the screen) > select "Account Deatils";
    2) on the page - check the following and make sure they are accurate:
            Financial Institution Name
            Account number
            Customer ID

3) Click on the "Online Srevices" tab > the account should be activated - and you should see a "Deactivate" button here - BUT don't push it yet.

Get back to us...

Frankx

• Jeanine
    Jeanine Member ✭✭
    I clicked on the gear icon (bottom right corner). There is no "Account details". The financial institution name is correct. My account number and customer ID do not appear here. There is no "Online services tab".
    There is a "Set up transaction Download" button. I tried that but I got the same message 'Unknown Institution'.
  • Jeanine
    Jeanine Member ✭✭
    I clicked on the link, UKR. The list of financial institutions does include my credit union. No other help there for me. Sounds like I need to contact my credit union.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Hi @Jeanine,

You are on a Mac, so the layout of screens is different.  But when you say " My account number and customer ID do not appear here" - can you find that information in some other place in the "account details" section?  If so, is that information correct?

Also - is here any other place where your account number appears in Quicken - if so, you need to check that to make sure it is correct.

Also you might want to delete the "financial institution name" and then re-insert it since Quicken clearly isn't recognizing your downloaded file wit your Quicken account.

Frankx

• Jeanine
    Jeanine Member ✭✭
    No, I can't find the account number or customer id anywhere. I deleted my financial institution name and tried to reinsert it but I got the same message. "Unknown financial institution". It also says the CU website might be down which it isn't. I just got a new download from it. It says Error 155 Fl is blocking our access.Please verify that you can connect to your bank and navigate until you can see your most recent transactions. - which I did. Also says Aggregator in error (FL blocking:ccscrape.155. Does any of that mean anything to you?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Jeanine,

That error indicates that Quicken has not been able to connect with the credit union in order to collect (i.e. "scrape" the data) from the website.  Since you can connect and see the data by logging in to the credit union its not a connection/data issue, so the only solution left is for you to work with Quicken Support to have them look into it.  Here re the links to support  https://www.quicken.com/support#windows

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Frankx

• Jeanine
    Jeanine Member ✭✭
    Thank you so much for trying. I'll contact Quicken.
This discussion has been closed.