Character limitation when entering account username.

R3k
R3k Member ✭✭
Hey. Im trying to add my Synchrony credit account to Quicken Mac via direct connect. Quicken asks for my Synchrony user name, but doesn't allow me to type in enough characters to enter it. Any ideas on how to get this working?

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @R3k,

Is it be possible for you to access your Synchrony account outside of Quicken?  How many characters are there in your user name?

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• R3k
    R3k Member ✭✭
    > @Frankx said:
    > Hi @R3k,
    >
    > Is it be possible for you to access your Synchrony account outside of Quicken?  How many characters are there in your user name?
    >
    > Frankx

Thanks.

There are 28 characters in my user name. Quicken has a limit of 20 characters.

This is not enough. Lets say somone's log in is (and this is not mine): peter.southers@gmail.com

This would be a common username thats too many characters for quicken.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @R3k,

Okay, so we know that your problem is being caused because Quicken has a 20 character limit to user names. 

While your example user name above might be a reasonable name someone would like to use. it won't work with Quicken.  And. to be perfectly frank, I doubt that Quicken is going to modify its programing to accommodate longer user names, so I think your only option is to shorten your Synchrony user name.

Sorry.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• R3k
    R3k Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Ok, thanks for your help. I think I worked it out. I was trying to connect to "Synchrony- Credit cards". Quicken only allows a 20 character limit for this.
    If instead I try to connect to something like an Amazon credit card account administered by Synchrony, then Quicken allows you to enter an email address as a username, so the character limit is larger.
    Thus id need to connect to "BhPhoto [Synchrony]" which is not supported by Quicken.

So thats three institutions Quicken does not support via direct download that (Removed) does: BhPhoto Credit card [Synchrony], (Removed) and also (Removed). I much prefer to use Quicken, moved over from (Removed) a couple of months ago, but i think im going to have to go back due to the inconvenience

Not shilling, it just sucks.
    Thanks for your help again.
  • ALittleHelp
    ALittleHelp Member ✭✭
    @R3k how did you determine that Quicken Mac has a limit of 20 characters for the username?

The limit should actually be 32 characters (which some people want to exceed for the same reason, using an email address as a username.) The 32 character limit is set by the OFX/QFX protocol, which underlines all of the Quicken to financial institution communication. And that isn't going to change.

In Quicken Windows I have PayPal username that is 26 characters long, which works fine.

If Quicken Mac is actually limiting the username to 20 characters that is a bug. It doesn't adhere to the standard they are using.
  • R3k
    R3k Member ✭✭
    @ALittleHelp

After 20 characters you are unable to type in more.
    There seems to be a 20 character limit for connecting to institutions that Quicken assumes require a username login only. This limit doesn’t exist when Quicken deems you you can also login using an email address.
This discussion has been closed.