Credit card number changed. How do I update on Quicken Mac?

Credit card number changed (same account) for Chase. How do I update so that existing transactions are retained, but new ones downloaded for new Card Number. I have seen answers to this for Quicken Windows but not for Quicken Mac (subscription version 5.15.2)

Seems like this would be a common occurrence but not able to find help!

TIA
Tagged:

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Normally when the card number changes, the transactions keep on downloading with the same web login credentials. But if they are not, try this:

First, make sure you have a good backup in case anything goes wrong. Create a new credit card account and link it to Chase. When asked, link it to the new card number. 

Then, go to the old card Quicken account and select all transactions. Drag and drop them to the new account in the sidebar. The old account will now be empty and can be deleted. In the new account, delete any duplicated transactions and make sure those that are cleared are properly checked in the Clr column. That should do it.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • James Young
    James Young Member ✭✭
    I tried this but when I direct connect download from new card it goes back three months thus duplicating the transactions downloaded in the old card. Is there a way to download credit card transactions from a certain date? my thought is to download after the new credit card # activated?
  • James Young
    James Young Member ✭✭
    Version 5.15.3, macOS 10.13.6

My credit card # changed. When I add the new credit card # it downloads transaction going back 3 months which then duplicates the transactions on the old Credit card #. I want to start the downloads for the new card from the date it activated is this possible?
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    In the "Windows" world of Quicken, and I assume it's the same for Mac versions, it's the Financial Institution (FI) that controls how far back in time "new" transactions get downloaded and 90 days is a common span of time used by many FIs. 
    Many people using Windows versions of Quicken have encountered this credit card number change issue and, generally, it's possible to continue to use the same Quicken Account for the new card number, thereby avoiding the downloading of old transactions as "new."  You do this by deactivating downloads for the credit card Account, and then re-activate the Account for downloads, pointing the "new" credit card account that Quicken finds at the FI to the existing credit card Account in Quicken.  You might give that a try.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Just delete the duplicates one time. They will not be downloaded again and you should be good going forward. 

There is a setting to adjust the download start date (see below). In my experience, it doesn't always work though, depending on the bank.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • John_M
    John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    See Above

(Edited-Self-Referencing Link) 
  • James Young
    James Young Member ✭✭
    Thanks Tom, The deactivation and reactivation worked. I linked the new account # to the existing account and then disconnected the downloads on the old account #. I just had to delete the "Xfer to account entries that were downloaded in the old account"
This discussion has been closed.