Investment Register VERY SLOW when Accepting Downloaded Transactions & couple of other questions

Options
1. When accepting downloaded investment transactions, the system is VERY SLOW. What am I doing wrong?
2. When I make changes to a downloaded transaction (correct label from Bought to ReinvDiv, etc) it takes an extremely long time to post. The system does a search for existing transactions on every save.
3. Why don't the transactions come down correctly to begin with? Dividends as dividends, etc. Is the issue with Transamerica or Quicken?
4. If I make changes to the row in the register, then Enter or Accept, it ignores my changes and posts the transaction as downloaded. The only way I've found to enter them is thru the Edit function.

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Please provide more details about your Quicken data file.

I'd like to know if you have account registers where a single account is approaching or exceeding 10,000 transactions.

What is the file size, in KB, as shown by Windows File Explorer?

And I'd also like to see the "File Information" window  (See below)

Is any cloud backup software (Dropbox, MS OneDrive, etc.) actively accessing your Quicken data file while Quicken is running?
    What is the complete file name of your Quicken data file  (e.g. C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken\QDATA.QDF)?

How much total RAM do you have installed?

What version of Windows are you running?

About file size and number of transactions:

You can find out how many transactions you have in your data file by doing this:
    - Click Tools / Account List. This should tell you how many transactions you have in each of your accounts in an optional column, "# of Transactions".
    If this column is not shown in the Account List, click the Options button at the bottom of the Account List window, then click "Number of Transactions" to add the column.

- File Information: Click Help in the Menu Bar. CTRL+click About Quicken and it'll give you a File Information box. Please capture an image snapshot of this File Information box and attach it here.
    The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and newer) can be used to capture a partial screen image and save it to a file of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF.

To attach the image here, start composing your response. At the top of the text entry window you'll see a row of icons, possibly beginning with B I S
    Click the landscape "Attach image" icon. It will allow you to select and upload the captured image file from your computer. You can also try to drop and drag or copy and paste the image. The captured image will be inserted at wherever the cursor is located in the text.

• formula
    formula Member ✭✭
    Options
    I'd like to know if you have account registers where a single account is approaching or exceeding 10,000 transactions.
    23K in one register, total 56k

What is the file size, in KB, as shown by Windows File Explorer?
    109MB

And I'd also like to see the "File Information" window (See below)
    Is any cloud backup software (Dropbox, MS OneDrive, etc.) actively accessing your Quicken data file while Quicken is running?
    No

What is the complete file name of your Quicken data file (e.g. C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken\QDATA.QDF)? C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Quicken\Smith Quicken Data.QDF

How much total RAM do you have installed?
    4GB

What version of Windows are you running?
    Windows 10

No row of icons to insert image
    Year: 2020
    Version: R25.21
    Build: 27.1.25.21
    Membership Valid Until: March 12, 2022
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for providing the information I asked for, except for the contents of the File Information window.
    At first glance, I can see why Quicken is slow ... You are running Windows 10 on a computer with only 4 GB of RAM. That's not enough. You should add RAM, at least another 4 GB, even better, 8 GB.
    On my computer with Windows 8.1 and 4 GB, Quicken performance is only tolerable if nothing else is running and using memory and causing disk I/O bottlenecks due to excessive swapping/paging.
    That large register with 23k transactions ... is that a banking register or an investment account register?
    Please send the details of the File Information window.
    After upgrading RAM, there may be other things that can be done to improve performance, especially if you are a regular (heavy?) investment trader.
This discussion has been closed.