How do I open a cloud account in Quicken?

I just started using quicken and had finally set it up to where it seemed to work perfectly. Then my hard drive crashed taking with it my backup copy. I'm only a couple of months into using quicken and do not want to set it up again. It was difficult enough to get it to work right.

I want to open my cloud file, that still works properly, on my computer and create a backup. There does not see to be a way to do that. I can only open files on the computer or make new ones. None of which solves my problem.

Best Answer

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Did you actually enable your Quicken accounts for the Quicken Cloud ?
    The Quicken Cloud only has a subset of the enabled account data.
    It is NOT a cloud backup of your entire data file.
    It's unfortunate that you probably didn't make another backup for keeping valuable data separate from your physical hard drive.....
    EDIT - guess I should have added - NO, YOU CAN'T

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The cloud account isn't a backup. It is a partial set of your data for the purpose of viewing in the Quicken Web and Quicken Mobile app.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • tfogle
    tfogle Member ✭✭
    I know what quicken cloud is and isn't. I also understand the pitfalls of making a backup on the same physical drive.

I'll rephase:
    "How do I open a quicken cloud account in the program?"

I can see it when I open the preferences menu. I can use it on the web. How do I open it in Quicken?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @tfogle

The Quicken data file is the "master data", all other data syncs with it.

So when you want to get your data that is in the Quicken data file to the "Quicken Cloud" you sync whatever accounts/budget you want with the "cloud".
    That is how they get there.

When transactions are entered into the web/mobile app you then and again run a sync to bring that data into the Quicken Desktop data file.

There isn't any "cloud account" to open for the Quicken data file since you are already viewing the "master set" of that data.
    Signature:
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    You haven't explained what you want this cloud account for ... what you intend to do with it.  There's multiple possibilities.
    And if you're looking to it as a Backup device, a 8mb USB drive is simpler.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• tfogle
    tfogle Member ✭✭
    So, there's this cloud file in my quicken account. It is a very lonely file confined to the web where it can only be used with a browser or app. This file is the sad orphan of a recently deceased Quicken Data File that met an untimely death to a rapid, unplanned, self-disassembling hard drive.

I am attempting to rescue this poor cloud file, for it's knowledge is useful and holds promise for the future, if only it could be reunited with a new Quicken Data File on my computer.

Unfortunately, in this world, it seems that once a Quicken Data File dies, it's offspring that were sent to do the hard work of providing interactivity across the internet no longer have a use, other that to exist in the ephemera of data floating across copper and fiber for eternity.

This user dreams of a world where we could create a new Quicken Data File with which we could anchor the poor parent-less cloud file and continue to respect and honor it's hard work rather than casting to the lost world of recycled electrons.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @tfogle

:)

Very nicely put!

The real problem they would have if they every were to try to "reconnect" is that the reason they can do the syncing in the first place is because Desktop data file and the Quicken cloud data "share the same history". If you have this orphan cloud data there is no telling how to properly connect it with a new data file which would have completely different transactions in it and such.

Note that if in the future you want to delete that orphan data you can do so by selecting:
    Edit -> Preferences -> Cloud Accounts -> Cloud accounts associated with this Quicken ID -> select the cloud account name in the list and then Delete.
    Signature:
  • tfogle
    tfogle Member ✭✭
    > @splasher said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Bottom line, you can't.  The Quicken Cloud Account (QCA) is tied to a specific file that it can sync (share data) with. 
    > The situation that you are in is that you will have to create a new Quicken file and it will have its own QCA and can NOT be associated with the prior QCA.If you had a backup of your Quicken data file, this would all be possible, but not with a new file.Let this be a painful learning experience.

Thank you for being the first to answer my question.

Yes, it seems the painful learning experience is that I should not have bought the program. It seems like maybe they stopped developing it 10 years ago.
This discussion has been closed.