I am trying to manually set up a transfer between my checking and savings account. How do I do it?

I want to set up a future transfer to show that I'll be moving money from savings to checking to cover Estimated Tax payments. I can only set up reminders, which is not what I want. Can someone help? I am using Quicken for Windows.

Best Answer

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reminders is precisely what you want. You need to set up a transfer reminder on the date you select repeating, presumably quarterly. The from account would be savings with the to account being checking.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you just trying to enter it in Quicken or do you want to make it actually happen at your bank?

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• annegchodosh
    annegchodosh Member ✭✭
    Just entering it into quicken. I want it to appear as a transaction in both accounts without having to click on the reminder and pressing enter.
  • annegchodosh
    annegchodosh Member ✭✭
    Sorry, I want to set it up as a scheduled transfer.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    GeoffG said:
    Reminders is precisely what you want. You need to set up a transfer reminder on the date you select repeating, presumably quarterly. The from account would be savings with the to account being checking.
    Don't forget Quicken has a special interval for estimated tax reminders. The full string stupidly doesn't fit into the too-small "How often" box, but it's there in the menu.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• annegchodosh
    annegchodosh Member ✭✭
    Sorry, I just want to set up a manual scheduled transfer of money from savings to checking to cover the taxes. I already set up the tax payments as bills.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    edited March 2020
    OK, but I'm still unclear on whether you just want to record the transfer in Quicken or whether you actually want to cause the money to move.
    If the latter, you need to set up 4 annual repeating online payments. There is no interval in Quicken which will move the money in advance of the estimated payment dates, which is why you need 4 annual transfers.
    See the Quicken help on creating bill reminders:

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• annegchodosh
    annegchodosh Member ✭✭
    I just want to record the transfer in quicken. But I don’t want the transfer to appear u til the date. So for example, I want to set up the record of the transfer for 4/8, 6/10, etc. but I don’t want it to appear in my registers until those dates.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Then all you need are 4 annual automatic transfer reminders.

• annegchodosh
    annegchodosh Member ✭✭
    So, when the dates come, will the reminder automatically post to the account?
  • annegchodosh
    annegchodosh Member ✭✭
    RJS: Thanks so much.
This discussion has been closed.