New transaction entry...automatic available vs "Command N"?

Is there a setting where I can elect that a new transaction entry automatically comes up after I enter a transaction? I remember having this before when I was a 20+ year quicken user. I left soon after switching to the Mac version and have returned in 2020 with hopes there is much improvement to the Mac version. But I miss having the automatic new transaction come up after each entry vs now where it seems I have to "Command N" after each and every transaction I enter.

Best Answer

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    There is not. However, instead of saving the transaction you are entering with Return or Enter, just hit Command-N which will both save the open transaction and create a new one. So it's still only one keystroke.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• RickO
    Answer ✓
    There is not. However, instead of saving the transaction you are entering with Return or Enter, just hit Command-N which will both save the open transaction and create a new one. So it's still only one keystroke.
  • jglo
    jglo Member
    Thank you. Not the answer I was hoping for but that is a great tip to make a new transaction a 2 stroke (Command-N) action instead of 3 (Enter-Command-N). Thx again!
  • RickO
    edited March 2020
    Here's one more hint. If you are working on a keyboard with function keys or arrow keys, macOS will let you assign those to the menu item Transactions > New Transaction instead of Command-N. This will make it into one keystroke instead of what you consider to be two. Here are instructions:

macOS Custom Keyboard Shortcuts

Another option would be to assign that menu item to Command-Return. So Return would mean "save the transaction" and Command-Return would mean "save and create a new transaction".
  • jglo
    jglo Member
    That is terrific! Thanks again. While I have you...in reconciliation mode is there a way to "find" or "search" for a transaction either by name or amount? I am reconciling a statement and need to search an amount that is the "difference" when I thought I was done reconciling. Does that make sense?
  • RickO
    There is no search during reconcile. But you can leave the reconcile window open, then go to the register, set a date filter, and use the search box to search for the amount. (Click the magnifying glass to restrict the search to the Amount column.) Then once you find the transaction, go back to Reconcile and find it by date.
  • jglo
    jglo Member
    YOU ARE MY HERO...thank you!!!
  • Barbara Allen
    Barbara Allen Member ✭✭
    I am new too and very frustrated by the same thing after years of 2007 so I thank you too.
This discussion has been closed.