Saving work

How can I save accounts to flash drive instead of laptop. Just having program on laptop

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you do the following you can move the data file to the flash drive.
    File -> Show this file on my computer
    Close Quicken.
    In the File Explorer window that came up move the *.QDF file to where you want it and double click on it. This will open it in Quicken, and Quicken will remember this spot for the data file the next time you open it.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a bad idea to store your Quicken data file on a USB flash drive. You should store it on the laptop's hard drive and backup to the flash drive.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    > @Greg_the_Geek said:
    > It's a bad idea to store your Quicken data file on a USB flash drive. You should store it on the laptop's hard drive and backup to the flash drive.

I have done it in the past and it seems to be OK, but slower than on my SSD.
    But like any drive it can fail and as such you should always have a backup stored on another device. For sure the SSD/hard drives "fail less", but a good quality flash drive can last a long time too. But they can all fail and you never know when they will fail.

Quicken Windows automatic backup is a pain in that it can only write to the same folder as where your data files is, and as such isn't good for cases where the device fails.

So you have to either do a manual backup pretty much every time you used Quicken or have something that backs up the QDF (just needs to be a copy) to the "cloud" or another drive/device.

(edited-updated)
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • judy crane
    judy crane Member
    Thank you. I have windows 10 and quicken 2011. I loved the old 2008 quicken but it won’t load on my new computer. I have too much bells and whistles on newer versions of windows and quicken. Y’all have answered some of my questions but not with the answer I wanted..lol.. have a wonderful day..stay well...
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

You stated that you're using Q 2011 ...

Old Quicken Patch downloads 2000+

When running an old, unsupported Quicken for Windows version you may no longer be able to download bug fixes (patch files) directly from Quicken.
    However, until further notice they are still available here:
    US version: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html
    Canadian version: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatchescanadian.html
    If clicking on Help / About Quicken does not show the highest Release number available for your version (year), as shown on this webpage, download and install the appropriate file(s) from the link above.

How to properly set up Quicken Backup
    How to make Quicken create a backup for you automatically every time you close Quicken
    What Quicken backups are available where?

For the sake of this discussion it is assumed that your Quicken data file is located in the Default (and recommended) place: C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken

Review the backup settings available in Quicken (under Edit / Preferences / Backup).

In there you will find two types of backup: Automatic and Manual Backup.

Automatic Backup should be enabled and always goes to a \Backup folder that's part of the folder which contains your current Quicken data file, e.g. \Documents\Quicken\Backup. Set it to create a backup after running Quicken [1] times and to keep [9] (or more, your choice) backup copies.
    The file name for Automatic Backup files contains a date and time stamp as part of the file name, e.g. QDATA-2020-03-22.PM03.45.QDF-backup

To create a Manual Backup copy of your Quicken data file on an external device (USB-hard drive or USB memory stick recommended), put a checkmark at "Manual Backup Reminder" to enable the function and set "Remind me after running Quicken [xx] times" to [1].

Click OK to save the changes.

From now on, when you close Quicken using the red X button, you will get a popup window.

When you get this window for the first time, on some versions click the radio button for "Backup on my computer".
    Change the Backup File name's drive letter and path to point to your external device so that it looks something like this: E:\Quicken Backup\QDATA-2019-04-01.QDF-backup
    or use the Change button and work your way through the dialog.

Do not change the filename portion! Just overtype the drive letter and choose a backup folder name. If the folder does not exist, it will be created.

Also choose the option to "Add date to backup file name".

Every day when you run Backup or close Quicken, an additional backup file is created. Without the Add Date option you only have 1 backup copy which is overwritten every day ... and that may prove bad in a problem recovery situation.

Allow this backup to run to save the changes made on the screen.

Of course, once in a while you will have to go in and delete some of the oldest backup files, at your discretion, to avoid filling up your USB device.

One can never have enough backups of a Quicken data file. BTDTGTS!

This discussion has been closed.