Error pops up when adding new Morgan Stanley Accounts

whgallmann
whgallmann Member ✭✭
I'm a brand new Morgan Stanley client and am trying to add several new accounts to my Quicken Deluxe subscription [latest Mac version: 5.15.3 (Build 515.33035.100)]. Repeatedly getting error pop up attached, "You have no more accounts at Morgan Stanley Wealth Management to activate". But I've never activated any Morgan Stanley accounts in the past---I'm a brand new customer. A couple of decades ago, though, I was a Smith Barney client and have been using various iterations of Quicken for Mac since the 90's.

Checked and re-rechecked my username, password, account numbers, etc.

Frontline Morgan Stanley IT support suggested I contact Quicken. "Ticket" submitted to MS IT higher-ups.

Ideas from the Quicken side?

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If, as you said, "you are a brand new client" ... how new are you?
    Have you received at least one monthly statement? Or, if you transferred accounts from another broker, have the holdings been transferred yet?
    It may take a few days for the brokers to move things around.
    You may also have to check with your new broker and see if there are security settings within your accounts that enable data transfer to third party services like Quicken.
  • Michael B
    Michael B Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2020
    Use Morgan Stanley, I found I used the only 7 digits in the account number, the last 4, and the 3 digits just prior to those, so it was like [removed for privacy]

Mike B
  • lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adding my example to Michael B's:

My Morgan Stanley Wealth Management accounts in Quicken are setup from the account numbers on the monthly statement sent to me from Morgan Stanley Smith Barney LLC

These account numbers are all of the format 123-456789-012. That is, 3 digits, 6 digits, 3 digits.

The account number that goes into Quicken is 123456789, that is, the left 9 digits, dropping the dashes and the trailing 3 digits.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If all else fails, it is easy to create a new username at Morgan Stanley and link your new accounts to that ID. That's what I would recommend if you are still using your original Smith Barney login. That could be confusing either Quicken or Morgan Stanley.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• whgallmann
    whgallmann Member ✭✭
    Thanks to all.

UKR, I've been a client for 2 months now, and my username and password work just fine at the Morgan Stanley portal.

Michael B/lhoosus, I've been entering those 9 digits as you described. No dice.

Rocket J Squirrel, my Smith Barney accounts were closed 25 years ago, and my log in credentials at MS are unique.

I missed a call last week from one of their "back office" IT geeks. I'll report back when I make contact with them.
This discussion has been closed.