very slow load time

rftttt
rftttt Member
The first time I turn on my computer and try to load quicken it takes 4-5 minutes. If I close out and start again, the load time is "normal?" -less than a minute. I spent some time on the phone with support but they said quicken seems to be operating ok and there must be some conflict with windows or? on initial start up. I've re-installed quicken, tried starting with security turned off, ran mondo patch, moved files to desktop --- no help. None of my other programs having problem. Been using quicken since 2012 and slowing has been building over probably the last 4 months. Keep waiting for new releases to help

Running 2020 quicken release 25.21 build 27.1.25.21, Windows 10 Home ver 1909 build 18363.720. HP desktop core i7-4770, 8gb, 64 bit oper system.

Any steps I should take to determine source of problem / conflict

Best Answer

• rftttt
    rftttt Member
    Answer ✓
    Here's the latest. First, thanks for the responses and suggested action items. Load time is down to about 2 1/2 minutes instead of 5 so things are running better. Maybe thats the best I can expect without a more detailed investigation.

FYI -here is a quick summary of what seemed to work and not:

- disabling network adater didn't show much improvement
    - installing mondo patch didn't help ( probably too late at that point - first had to set up new administrator to get it to install and then it didn't help)
    - tried uclean uninstall and then downloaded and reinstalled quicken but it didn't show much improvement. ( after the install the program launched and then started loading a backed up file which may have been a problem)
    - finally did rename data file folders and did another complete unistall. Then ran clean drive / registry programs and defraged the drive. Completed new installation and downloaded data files. Now running cleaner ( no strange screens showing up ) and faster ( not ideal but better)
    - printed out data files showing whats running before and after loading quicken but determining what differences are significant and what to do about a task for another day ( or weeks)

Thanks again for help and directions.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    When we boot Windows, there are a number of services that start.  Some of these services start immediately, some are delayed, and some are triggered.  Its possible Quicken is dependent on the availability of delayed or triggered services.  Is there a reason you're shutting down the computer instead of allowing it to sleep or hibernate?
  • rftttt
    rftttt Member
    Don’t use the desktop everyday (use iPad or laptop) so got in the habit of turning it off each night. Anyway to review a log or something to see what quicken is looking for and then get windows to load that on startup. A couple times I started to get a message that windows was not responding for a couple seconds before the loading continued again. I hate to suggest it, but would reloading windows clear it up?
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @rftttt ,

When you first start up the computer, after it is fully loaded, disabled the Network Adapter.

Start up Quicken. Loads very fast. Re-enable the Network Adapter.
    Close and reload Quicken. Still fast.

Reloading Windows, will not clear it up.

Reinstalling Quicken according to this procedure:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7844658/installing-reinstalling-windows-quicken-subscription-editions
    will help increase Quicken's speed.
    Don't skip a step.

Use Glary Utilities to check for Disk Errors.
    Download from:  https://www.glarysoft.com/

Questions?

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    rftttt said:
    Don’t use the desktop everyday (use iPad or laptop) so got in the habit of turning it off each night. Anyway to review a log or something to see what quicken is looking for and then get windows to load that on startup. A couple times I started to get a message that windows was not responding for a couple seconds before the loading continued again. I hate to suggest it, but would reloading windows clear it up?
    I suggest you compare the services that are running before and after Quicken loads immediately after a reboot: press the Windows key and enter services.  To capture the list, press Alt + A, L.

Note: Pushing the the start up of these services into the Windows boot may improve the initial launch time of Quicken but they will degrade the Windows boot time.

Instead of turning it off, I suggest you allow windows to sleep or hibernate.  If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13770/windows-shut-down-sleep-hibernate-your-pc
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I suspect the Quicken update utility from one release to the next is not optimal. As a result, load times and screen refreshes can suffer long lag times. I would suggest a complete mondo patch install. Simply download the installer and run.

• rftttt
    rftttt Member
    Answer ✓
    Here's the latest. First, thanks for the responses and suggested action items. Load time is down to about 2 1/2 minutes instead of 5 so things are running better. Maybe thats the best I can expect without a more detailed investigation.

FYI -here is a quick summary of what seemed to work and not:

- disabling network adater didn't show much improvement
    - installing mondo patch didn't help ( probably too late at that point - first had to set up new administrator to get it to install and then it didn't help)
    - tried uclean uninstall and then downloaded and reinstalled quicken but it didn't show much improvement. ( after the install the program launched and then started loading a backed up file which may have been a problem)
    - finally did rename data file folders and did another complete unistall. Then ran clean drive / registry programs and defraged the drive. Completed new installation and downloaded data files. Now running cleaner ( no strange screens showing up ) and faster ( not ideal but better)
    - printed out data files showing whats running before and after loading quicken but determining what differences are significant and what to do about a task for another day ( or weeks)

Thanks again for help and directions.
This discussion has been closed.