How do I migrate my 2017 Quicken data (I'm getting an error)

I have been using Quicken 2017. After transferring all of my data to a new computer, I couldn't open my Quicken file. I received the following error message: "An error occurred during persistent migration". I just purchased Quicken Deluxe and tried to migrate the data there, but received the same error message along with: "The document "xxxx.quicken" could not be opened." It advised me to check for updates, but I'm already using 5.15.3. Any suggestions on getting my data migrated? Thanks, Leschnei

Best Answer

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    It sounds like you are transitioning BOTH to a new computer and to a new version of Quicken. We need a little more info:

What macOS version are you running on each computer?
    What Quicken versions do you have installed on each computer?

It sounds like you moved an uncompressed or non-backup copy of your data file. That can cause issues like you're seeing. Once we know the answers to the above questions, we can advise the best way to proceed.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Leschnei
    Leschnei Member ✭✭
    Sorry, I intended to include those details:
    Before sending my MacBook Pro (OS 10.15.3) out for repairs (the right fan), I migrated the entire contents of my computer (except for applications) to a MacBook retina (also (OS 10.15.3), but never opened Quicken on that second computer. After the repair, I reloaded the system on my MacBook Pro (still OS 10.15.3) and migrated files back, including my Quicken file (called Finances 2.quickendata). Before the migration I was using Quicken 2017. After the migration back I redownloaded Quicken 2017 (v 4.8.6) and tried to open my Quicken file. After that failed, I purchased Quicken Deluxe (subscription) and tried it again, but still failed with the error messages from my previous post.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    In general, when transferring the contents of one Mac to another, you are much better off using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper to clone the drive, rather than migrating the contents. This will do a much better job of preserving file permissions, etc. But that's water under the bridge now.

I was about to give you some suggestions, but I noticed you said your file is called Finances 2.quickendata. That file extension (.quickendata) is the file extension from Quicken Essentials for Mac. The extension for QM2017 is .quicken2017 and the extension for Quicken Subscription is .quicken. Quicken Essentials won't even run on macOS Catalina (10.15.3), so now I'm really confused.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Leschnei
    Leschnei Member ✭✭
    I'm confused too. I did have Quicken Essentials at some point during the many years that I've had Quicken. I'll have to dig through old Time Capsule backups and see if I can find a .quicken2017 file. Thank you for your help - at least I have a better idea what I'm looking for now.
  • Leschnei
    Leschnei Member ✭✭
    Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.