Budget does not include transactions from accounts created AFTER the budget was created (Q Mac)

nimrand
nimrand Member ✭✭
As described in the title, I have a budget for 2020, but I have discovered that transactions in accounts created in Quicken AFTER the budget was created do not show up. I realize the Mac version does not let you pick and choose which accounts are included in the budget, but it should at least include all visible accounts by default. Is there any way to fix?

Best Answer

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @nimrand

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a response.

I am currently unable to recreate this, I have an existing budget and created a new account, transactions from that new account display properly in the budget.

Are the transactions in this new account using a new category or an existing category?

Is there a budgeted amount for the category being used?

Lastly, what is the account type for the newly added account?

Please let me know!
    ~~~***~~~
  • nimrand
    nimrand Member ✭✭
    They are using existing categories that are budgeted (transactions for these same categories from other accounts show up just fine). The new accounts are checking accounts, the same as the other accounts that do show up on budget.

Also, this is the Mac version. I don't know if this happens on the PC version.
  • bdubsposse
    bdubsposse Member ✭✭
    I am having same/similiar issue as @nimrand . But I think I may know the reason. My original budget was created before the latest quicken update. However, I needed to add an account today, 3.17.2020, to track some older data so things would reconcile. (the account is setup as a manual credit card account so no webconnect/direct connect, etc.) when I added all of the transactions I noticed I cannot see anything reflected in my budgets related to this account. I also noticed when you click on a random category in the budget view to see the details it only shows '14 accounts, 1 category' but I currently have 15 accounts.

If I duplicate this budget same results.

Then things got interesting, Out of frustration I opened a budget I created this past weekend which would have been created on the 5.15.1 build. Selected a category within the budget view to see the details and it displays '15 accounts, 1 category'! I can see all transactions now in this budget!!!

If this is indeed the issue, is there a way to copy/paste the budgeted values into a new budget created after the 5.15.1 build?
  • nimrand
    nimrand Member ✭✭
    The first time this happened on v15.1, recreating the budget from scratch fixed the issue, but the same problem occurred when I added new accounts *after that*. I don't want to manually re-create this budget every time I add a new account.
  • kevinbeick
    kevinbeick Member
    I'm have the same issue as @bdubsposse , created by taking the same steps in creating the budget and updating the software. Looking forward to clarity on how best to rectify the situation!
  • abw2020
    abw2020 Member
    I'm having the same issue. v5.15.2
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello all,

Thank you for the response and for providing additional details although I apologize for the delay.

I am still unable to recreate this issue, may I ask what type of account is being added?

Is it a checking, savings, cash account?

Please let me know!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • drumsdb
    drumsdb Member ✭✭
    I have this exact same issue so I was happy to see this thread. My situation is very simple to detail so hopefully it will help the quicken team.
    I created the budget in January of this year.
    Last week I opened a new account with Wells Fargo. I added the account for tracking and linked it with online transactions. However, no transactions in show up in the budget. I've had about 6 automated transactions that did not appear. As a test, I also added several manual transactions of both income and expense and none showed up under the correct budget.
  • nimrand
    nimrand Member ✭✭
    In my case, they are all checking accounts, but I doubt the account type really matters.
  • drumsdb
    drumsdb Member ✭✭
    My account was a checking account as well. I did call Premier Support and opened a ticket this morning. I walked through the entire process and included screenshots and creating a new test account that also failed to add to the budget.

Hopefully that will work to escalate cause this is a big problem for me.
  • Paul Kleeberg
    Paul Kleeberg Member ✭✭✭
    I am having this issue as well. I wonder if this more about an account with $0 balance when the budget was created.

The account is a cash account. It is a Costco cash card that I have had for years and I put my Costco check into it when I received the rebate in Feb. None of the transactions, not the deposit of the check into the account that were credited into different categories, nor any of the following transactions as I spend money from the cash card are showing in any of the budget categories. Other cash accounts appear just fine. It appears that the zero balance when the budget was created may have something to do with it. Others have seen it with new accounts. This is with an old account with a $0 balance when the budget was created;
    Quicken user since 1997 when Dollars and $ense died.
  • Paul Kleeberg
    Paul Kleeberg Member ✭✭✭
    Zero balance appears to be the issue.

Interestingly, I was able to reproduce this with another cash card that also had a zero balance when the budget was created.
  • Paul Kleeberg
    Paul Kleeberg Member ✭✭✭
    I TRIED TO EDIT THE ABOVE BUT WAS UNABLE TO.

Zero balance does not appear to be the issue.

Interestingly, I was not able to reproduce this with another cash card that also had a zero balance when the budget was created.

(I had looked in the wrong category)
  • daya
    daya Member
    Hello

I also have a similar problem. I had created a new credit card account after creating the budget and the transactions from the new account are not captured.

I recommend that, along with the categories (income / expenses), option should be made available for selecting the accounts while creating / editing the budget. This may solve this particular problem and may also be useful for other situations.
  • nimrand
    nimrand Member ✭✭
    @Quicken_Tyka

What did you do differently that allowed you to reproduce the issue. Was it the account type, or something else?
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @nimrand

Thank you for the response, this issue appeared to be intermittent for me.

I have a budget that over 2 years old, I have added several accounts since this budget was created and haven't seen this behavior.

I tried to duplicate this by adding a new account with a test category and was able to view the new transaction in the budget. I kept testing this periodically and I was able to duplicate this.

My version is Version 5.15.3 (Build 515.33035.100) I have not updated or made changes to my previously being unable to recreate this.

I have been able to recreate this with Checking, Savings and Cash accounts.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • tombehr
    tombehr Member
    I know that there has been prior discussion about this issue. Are there any know "work-arounds"? Please advise.
  • atbusa
    atbusa Member
    edited April 2020
    When selecting the 1 month option on the budget tab, the spend for a specific account is not included in the actual spend in the bar graphs. However, when clicking on the bar graph, the detail shown includes the detail spend of the account. I have ensured that the account is not "hidden" from reports or lists.
  • atbusa
    atbusa Member
    I noticed there was another thread discussing this same topic. It does not appear that a fix has occurred yet. Is this correct or am I just missing the correction noted in a different thread.
  • I'm having the same issues: I've added all sorts of accounts (newly married) and the ACTUAL expenses And actual income categories are NOT displaying in my Budget for only these NEW accounts. Only the projected expenses/income is visible...so I opine that there's linkage problem for all these new accounts since the last update. I'm running on a Mac, Deluxe 2020; Version 5.15.3 (Build 515.33035.100). This needs some expedited attention :-) so we can rely on our budgets...thank you. First time posting.
  • n8sabes
    n8sabes Member ✭✭
    NO RESOLUTION / WORKAROUND FROM TECHNICAL SUPPORT
    Version 5.15.3 (Build 515.33035.100)

I spent considerable time with technical support on this issue and they do not have a fix. They seemed dumfounded that this problem exists.

Tech Support had me try the following:

Creating / Recovering Quicken file
    Deleting accounts
    Creating new accounts
    Deleting budgets
    Creating new budgets
    Hiding / Showing accounts
    etc., etc., etc.
    etc., etc.
    etc.

After lengthy experimentation without resolution -- They apologized.

I just don't understand how Intuit can consistently release such untested & buggy software for decades and decades now. Why can't they attract leadership necessary to improve? Sorry to be critical, but it's a frustratingly truthful personal experience. Yet, I continue to give them my money for mediocrity because there isn't a better alternative that CPA's accept in all these years.

• Allen118
    Allen118 Member ✭✭
    I am having the same issue. When can we expect a solution? I have to agree with @n8sabes.
  • Allen118
    Allen118 Member ✭✭
    @Quicken_Tyka

Can you please provide a follow up on how Quicken is addressing this?
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Allen118

Thank you for the response, although I apologize for the delay.

This issue will be corrected in a future release, unfortunately, I am unable to provide an ETA at this time.

if you would like to be automatically notified as updates become available, please "bookmark" this post by clicking the yellow star icon in the upper right.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • SCA
    SCA Member
    Hello I am having the exact same issue - If I create a new account after my budget was created the budget does not read transactions from the new account. Please help! The budget feature was one of the main reasons I purchased this software...
  • SCA
    SCA Member
    also I am running version 5.15.3 for Mac OS
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @SCA  Read the post just above yours: Quicken is aware of this issue and will have a fix for it in a future release.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • SCA
    SCA Member
    thanks jacobs I thought I was the only one
  • I am having the same problem with a new credit card account that was created after the budget was created. I see this as a high prior in order to track my expense categories.
This discussion has been closed.