Can I add accounts from a Secondary QDF into a Primary QDF directly?

Options
Basically, I have a Primary Quicken Data File that I manage for business accounts and the wife manages our family (Secondary) Data File. Is it possible to import the family accounts directly into the Primary QDF, or must I export the Secondary accounts into a QIF/QFX and then import?

Best Answer

Answers

• TFlyboy
    TFlyboy Member
    Options
    Export/Import it is then … I was hoping there was an easier way.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Hello @TFlyboy,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your question.

Yes, you can import one data file into another data file, but it would need to be done with a .QXF file --this different from .QFX files provided by financial institutions-- and not a .QDF file.

In order to do so successfully, please, follow the steps below--

First save a backup of both data files (just in case).
    1. Open the file that you intend to transfer over to the primary file.
    2. Go to File > File Export > Quicken Transfer Format (.QXF) File 
    3. You will be asked to name the file though you are not required to change it from the name it already assigns since you only need this file to transfer the data over > Choose the location you want to save the file to (somewhere you can easily locate it when it's time to import) > Click "Save"
    4. Click "Ok" once you receive the message indicating that the export was successful.
    5. Switch to your primary data file you intend to import the data to.
    6. Go to File > File Import > Quicken Transfer Format (.QXF) File > Click "Browse" > Find and select the .QXF file you previously saved > Open > Continue
    Once the import has finished-- you may or may not receive a message indicating that there were x-amount of errors found during the import. This is pretty normal as they're usually errors that stem from certain features that do not transport through a .QXF file (i.e.: investment accounts, reports, etc). You can click "Yes" if you'd like to review what didn't import or what the errors found were, then close the data log and see the imported accounts. Otherwise, if you decide to click "No", then you will simply be able to access the data file and see that the imported accounts were added.

If this worked out successfully, you can then delete the .QXF file you saved and used to perform these steps. 

Hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Options
    TFlyboy said:
    Export/Import it is then … I was hoping there was an easier way.
    As per the above posting.... you might indicate what kind of accounts are listed in your Personal QDF file - as, again as mentioned above, there might be some that don't export/import - it would be good to have a list of problems.....

@Quicken Anja   .... certain features that do not transport through a .QXF file (i.e.: investment accounts, reports, etc).

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited April 2020
    Options
    @TFlyboy, I just wanted to add real quick that you can review this support article for more detailed information on what .QXF does and/or does not export/import.

You will find this information under the section titled "More about QXF files".

Hope you find this information to be useful to you!

-Quicken Anja

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How to go about this really depends on what you are trying to do.

For instance not only is QXF limited to non investment accounts, it is all or none.  You can't pick which accounts, you have to delete accounts before export in a copy of the file if you only want some of them.  What's more it can't be used for "ongoing transferring of information".  It will not append to existing accounts if the import is run again, it will duplicate accounts.

On the other hand QIF can do individual accounts, but only one at a time (or all).  It can also do a time range, so new transactions can be added to existing accounts.

Transfers tend to be a problem for QIF especially if you are picking and choosing of accounts and missing some that are have transfers.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.