Securities Mismatch

When i download from my investment accounts (occurs on Merrill, Morgan and Schwab). i get a securities mismatch after an update. For example, i get that Schwab shows 6 shares but quicken shows 12 shares. I ignore and go in and check my holdings and find that the correct number of shares is in the register ( from the brokerage not Quicken number in the mismatch screen). I have called Quicken support 3 times to only get people who say this is not an issue yet it is all over the web with no real answer. I am using windows 10 pro and quicken subscription. To try to fix i reset all accounts, checked for duplicate stock symbols, turned of and the re-set up the download, and then started a new file to see if that helped. None of this worked

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't speak to Merrill and Morgan but I frequently get suggestions for placeholders, (security share number mismatch), when using Schwab..  This seems to have started a couple of years ago, if my memory is correct, and I've learned to simply ignore them.  They always pertain to the transaction I just accepted into my Schwab Account, i.e., the "reported" share quantity always omits the "just accepted" transaction, like a dividend reinvestment.
    I don't know why this is happening.  To the best of my knowledge and belief the downloaded share count is supposed to be a "real time" number, but clearly it's not.  But I must admit I've never mustered up the energy to take the issue up with Schwab, since that's where that number of shares balance is coming from.
  • Spokey
    Spokey Member ✭✭
    I'm having this problem with Fidelity (managed account). I might have initiated the problem myself. I know that in a download a month or two ago, there were a bunch of new securities.

I think Quicken has a real stupid practice of picking an existing security and not defaulting to a new one when the cusip ids don't match. I did accidentally add one of the new securities to an existing one.

Realizing my mistake, I added the correct security and changed the 'buy' to that security. But every time there is a transaction in that account, quicken indicates a mismatch saying I'm missing the one I don't own and I have too many shares of the correct security (the numbers exactly match). I've reset the account. I've deleted the online download for a couple days and later added online back in. Nothing seems to help. I've downloaded manually into a csv and Fidelity is reporting correctly. I've downloaded the 'positions' manually and they look right.

This seems like an obvious bug. I'm kind of surprised quicken has done nothing.

I guess there are no community suggestions either as the OP is over a month ago.
  • MikeMilt
    MikeMilt Member ✭✭
    I have hundreds of downloaded transactions in my investment accounts. It seems that Quicken (or me?) didn't handle them properly when downloaded. So, now my accounts are way off, showing shares in my account that I bought and sold years ago. In many cases both the buy and sell transactions are in there, but since I sold the security should have been gone long ago, but it is still in the account. How do I edit this so that I can bring my accounts up to date?
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @MikeMilt

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and post your issue, although I apologize that you have not yet received a response.

If you are still needing assistance with placeholder entries in Quicken, please take a moment and review the information available here and post back to let us know what version and release of Quicken you are using.

Please also see the information available here and here for more details regarding placeholder entries and how to resolve them.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
This discussion has been closed.