Need help with an export issue.

Fritz56
Fritz56 Member
I use Quicken Premier. When I try to export to Excel, it creates a file with 0K data and Quicken closes. This only started occurring in the last couple of months. Any ideas out there?

Best Answer

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tell us the exact steps you're taking and we'll see whether we can reproduce it. Be as verbose as necessary to provide precise information.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Fritz56
    Fritz56 Member
    edited April 2020
    Rocket,

Thanks for the response. Here is what I did.

1) I opened a saved Quicken report that I had previously created.

2) I clicked on the Export button in the upper toolbar in the right side.

3) I select the option Export to Excel Workbook (.xlsx). This opens an Explorer window where I select the folder where I want to save the file.

4) I name the file "Expenses - 2019".
    Note 4.1: the "Save as type:" is Microsoft Excel Worksheet (.xlsx).
    Note 4.2: this is the only option for the Excel file (i.e. I cannot select an older version of an Excel file such as .xls)

5) I hit the Save button. The wheel spins for 3-4 seconds and then Quicken closes. I then get the following pop-up (see attached image) for a BugSplat crash report (whatever the (removed) that is).

6) I have only selected the "Don't Send" option here. There is an Excel file with the correct file name in the directory I selected. It is 0KB in size. If I try to open it, I get the following message: Excel cannot open the file "Expenses - 2019.xlsx" because the file format or the file extension is not valid. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file.

7) I can successfully save this report as a PDF or as a text file.

Also, I am running Windows 10 Home, version 1909.

Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks,
    Fritz56
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Please specify which report you are using in step 1. I understand you customized it, but which built-in report was it originally based on?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Fritz56
    Fritz56 Member
    The report says "Spending Transactions - Last Year". See attached screenshot. I believe it is a report I created a few years ago (with an earlier version of Quicken) that I updated to cover 2019. Please note however that this report was exportable as recently as a few months ago.
  • Fritz56
    Fritz56 Member
    Rocket - Just checking in. Do you need additional information?
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Hi, @Fritz56 , sorry, I got sidetracked with other things & haven't yet tried to reproduce this.

We've found that often re-creating a custom report from scratch solves some problems. There seem to be issues using old reports from previous Quicken versions. So that would be worth a try.

• Fritz56
    Fritz56 Member
    I tried to create a brand new report using the Spending Itemized Categories template. I customized it to contain the same data in my previous report. When I tried to export this new report, Quicken crashed again and I got the same BugSplat pop-up screen.
This discussion has been closed.