Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

If I install my unused Quicken 2018 now, will the 24 month subscription be honored?

I am currently using Quicken Home & Business 2017. Downloads run out after April 30. I have to upgrade. I have an unused copy of Quicken 2018 with a 24-month subscription. Will installing this version result in a subscription that ends in April of 2022?
Tagged:

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    If the activation code that came with your Quicken 2018 has not been used, you will be able to use it and get the full 24-month subscription.  Your subscription term will start from the day you use the activation code.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R33.19 on Windows 10)
  • Boatnmaniac
    @BruceMacD I should have also noted that when you complete the subscription activation and install the program you will be upgraded to the latest version of Quicken, not the 2018 subscription version that is on your CD.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple of other comments.....
    If you are using HB 2017 - what 2018 version did you purchase ?  HB ?
    Lastly, I thought awhile back that Activation Codes were only good for a certain amount of time....and had to be used within that timeframe -
    Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @BruceMacD ,

Do you use a Data File Password for your Quicken Data File?
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R32.12  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.6 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 21364.1000
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19042.928

Note: Holding Down the Left Shift Key or Left Ctrl Key produces Window with Quicken 2019 in the Title Bar when click About Quicken,

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

• BruceMacD
    BruceMacD Member
    I had to re-install my 2017 H&B program recently due to a hard drive failure. The activation code worked fine. But that was a desktop version, not a subscription. The 2018 Premier has not been activated and the membership not started. I was just wondering if there might be a problem now with activating the subscription. I no longer need H&B as I have QuickBooks Accountant Pro to manage the businesses.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken 2017 did not use an activation code and Quicken Subscription is still desktop software.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Boatnmaniac
    ps56k said:
    ...Lastly, I thought awhile back that Activation Codes were only good for a certain amount of time....and had to be used within that timeframe -
    I believe 2018 activation codes do not expire but beginning with 2019 they expire after 2 years.  At least, that's what I gleaned from earlier posted comments here in Community.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

Let me clarify a few things—as for my previous post:

To clarify, this policy was not in place at subscription launch; if you purchase a copy of Quicken and there is no expiration date on the activation code provided to you (or in the email a retailer provides to you) then the product activation code does not have a set expiration date.

Again, specifically IF no expiration date is provided – this was the case at subscription launch in October 2017.  This policy changed later, to the 24-month expiration date policy.

This policy, of course, is intended to be used in good faith--if there are large swaths of unsold product at a retailer, we will often accept that product as a return and refund the retailer (a pretty regular practice for us).  If that’s the case, we expire that batch of codes, and the retailer doesn’t need to return the physical product to us to be stored or destroyed, as they did previously.  The intention is for them to throw out the product, obviously, but we don't police this.

If a user purchases product from a legitimate retailer, and the activation code doesn’t work, we just ask the user for proof of purchase, and then provide the user with a product copy to download; I’ll make sure this is reinforced with our support agents. 

But, if the user purchases from a shady retailer, (say, one that’s trying to sell product that’s been bulk-expired, which is likely the case in two out of the three recent cases posted in the community), they may encounter this issue when trying to activate their product. 

So, if a legitimate user purchased Quicken 2018 a while back, and they dust it off and decide to finally install it, the activation code should work for them; however, I would be wary of any user purchasing 2018 now, from an unofficial retailer, and expecting it to work. 

I hope this clarifies things,
    @Quicken Kathryn
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
This discussion has been closed.