Can't connect to Fidelity Investments

I was able to connect with Fidelity just 7 days ago. Now I can't connect. I am ableto connect directly to Fidelity through their website. Thoughts?

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I was just able to complete OSU for Fidelity.  Did you get an error code/message?
    Also, sometimes OSU will fail to complete properly and one or more accounts will not update with various error codes/messages provided.  If there are multiple accounts that did not update, try running OSU, again.  If it is just one or two accounts that did not update, I will usually go to the account register, click on the Gear icon at the top right of the register screen and then click on "Update Now."  This will often work when OSU doesn't.
    FYI:  Just because we can log in to our online account at a FI does not mean that Quicken will be able to do so.  FIs will sometimes do system maintenance or have system issues that can affect Quicken connectivity but do not affect our ability to log in directly to our online accounts.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R35.31 on Windows 10)
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    More info is needed in order to assist you.
    Please do HELP, About Quicken and tell us:
    • What Q product you're running
    • The BUILD of that product
    • The "Valid Thru" date of that product.
    And, just double-checking, are you talking about accounts at Fidelity Investments, or accounts at Fidelity NetBenefits?
    BTW, Fidelity is also my broker ...  and I had no trouble downloading from them just now.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Craig_
    Craig_ Member ✭✭
    @NotACPA
    I have both Fidelity Investments and NetBenefits. Neither will update. My credit union updates just fine. I'm running Premier 2017 with a valid thru date of April 30th. Version R19.8 Build 26.1.19.8 There are no updates available. I get an error message of Error 297-A unable to establish an internet connection.
  • Boatnmaniac
    @Craig - Have you tried to run OSU, again?
    Have you tried "Update Now"?
  • Craig_
    Craig_ Member ✭✭
    @Boatnmaniac Yes I ran it again this morning with the same results. I wasn't able to find the update now option for my fidelity accounts, only my credit union account.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited April 2020
    @Craig - I was able to update my Fidelity accounts, again, today, so it does seem that this is not a Quicken-wide issue.
    Sorry, I forgot about that regarding investment accounts.  For investment accounts:  Account Register > Gear icon > Update Transactions (instead of Update Now).
    Update Transactions/Update Now is really nothing more than running OSU for just a single FI. There are a few other ways to run OSU on individual FIs other than Update Transactions/Update Now.  Another easy way is to click on the downward pointing triangle of the Update button, click on One Step Update and then select the individual account from the account list that pops up.  Regardless of which way you do this it will update all the accounts you have associated with that selected account's FI.
    If Update Transactions doesn't work for you, here are the next steps I would take:
    1)  Account Details > Online Services tab > Reset Account.  This will often work when Update Transactions/Update Now doesn't.
    2)  If that doesn't work:
    • Back up your Quicken file for quick retrieval in case something goes wrong.
    • Account Details > Online Services tab > Deactivate
    • Account Details > General tab > Remove all Financial Institution information from the top right corner (i.e., account number, customer ID).
    • Repeat the Deactivate and FI information deletion for each Fidelity account.
    • Select one of the Fidelity accounts (it doesn't matter which one) and from the Online Services tab click on "Set up Now".
    • During the ensuing set up process, Fidelity should download data from all of your accounts there and Quicken should prompt you to select what to do with that data.  Be sure to select Link to an existing account and then select the account you want it linked to...do this for each of your Fidelity accounts shown in the popup prompt.
    • Note:  This process might download transactions that will be duplicates of what is already entered into your account register.  Simply delete the duplicates.
    Let me know what worked/didn't work for you.
  • NotACPA
  • Craig_
    Craig_ Member ✭✭
    @Boatnmaniac @NotACPA I tried your suggestions yesterday and nothing worked. I logged on this morning and did another update and all accounts updated successfully. I didn't make any changes. Not sure what was going on but all seems to be ok now. Thanks for your help.
  • Boatnmaniac
    @Craig - Difficult connection issues seem to occur more frequently on weekends and holidays.  That's often because FIs often schedule their system updates and maintenance during those times so as to not interfere with their normal business operations hours.  Or it can be that the FI experienced a system issue that affects access for some or all of their customers but they don't have the right people available to resolve them at that time.  When getting connection issues during the weekends and when user actions can't resolve them, it's often a good idea to wait until the day or next business day because many of those issues will "magically" go away.  This is why Quicken error messages will say "wait until the next day and try again."  Whatever caused your issue, I'm glad to hear it "magically" self-resolved.  Have a good day.
  • craig.
    craig. Member ✭✭
    Don't know what is going on here. I did NOT write/start this thread or make ANY of the responses attributed to me here.

I think I started a thread about the end of March concerning inability to download transactions from Discover since 3/23, but I do not see that listed among my discussions.
  • craig.
    craig. Member ✭✭
    When I just looked at my profile and attempted to make a change, it advised me that my username (craig) was already in use by another user (!???!). My profile was set up in 2016. clicking on the "craig" identified earlier in this thread reveals that user profile was established in 2018 and indicated a January 2018 thread which I again, did not author. How is this possible within Quicken and how do we report it to get it resolved?
  • NotACPA
    I suspected that such was the case ... and have already reported it to the Mods.  They should be contacting one, or both, of you to resolve this.
  • craig.
    craig. Member ✭✭
    > @NotACPA said:
    > I suspected that such was the case ... and have already reported it to the Mods.  They should be contacting one, or both, of you to resolve this.

Thanks! I wouldn't have known about it, but for the notification of new comments on this thread when I checked the board today. Have since updated my preferences to try to make sure I get emails as well.
  • NotACPA
    Quicken Tyka just informed me that the issue has been handled.

This discussion has been closed.