How do I update stock quotes when I want to not every 15 minutes?

I had to upgrade since when I tried to download the weeks ending prices, I received an error message that I had tp upgrade. I did with a basic upgrade since I did not need mobile apps.
After that installed there still was not an "investments" tab where I would previously got to update quotes. The whole layout was different. I don't like it!!! I did some research in the program and found that the deluxe versin and highr was able to do that. So I ordered a deluxe version for an additional $44 and I still don't have it. What the heck is oing on. I don't need all the bells and whistels, I just want to keep tract of our investments and credits card balances.

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "How do I update stock quotes when I want to not every 15 minutes?"
    Click Edit > Preferences... > Investment Transactions and uncheck that "every 15 minutes" box.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should be seeing the Investments tab, along with several others.  I suspect your view has hidden them.  It's an easy fix, though:
    At the very top right of your screen, does it look like this?
    If so, click on the "v" in the circle so it looks like this.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• JoeU
    JoeU Member ✭✭
    When I start quicken the V at the top is down and it still does not show. I ordered the deluxe version and the basic still starts up. I am getting furious with Quicken. All I need is a way to update our investments "for the week" on Saturdays. I do not connect with any financial institutions through Quicken. All of my entries are manual. I don't have a cell phone that I want to see this data.
    Why can't life be simple?
  • Boatnmaniac
    @JoeU - Sorry, it's not clear to me:  Does the V look like the top picture in my previous post or like the bottom picture? 
    It should look like the bottom picture.  If it looks like the top picture, click on it and it will look like the bottom picture.
    Also, you might want to click on "View" at the top left of your screen.  Then alternatively click on "Standard Menus" and "Classic Menus" to see which view you prefer seeing.  And you also might want to click on "Show Toolbar" (in the View menu) if it is not already checked to see if you like that or not.
    One last question:  Click on Help and then click on About Quicken.  What do you see there?
    • Quicken - Starter or Quicken - Deluxe or ???
    • Year?
    • Version?
    • "Membership valid until" when?

• JoeU
    JoeU Member ✭✭
    Boatnmaniac,
    Thanks for the help. First, The arrow is pointing up not like the letter V. What is listed is Home Spending Bills & income Planning add-on services mobile & web Tips and tutorials - that's it.
    Secondly, when I click on View, There are no choices like Standard menus or classic menus.
    Third, The show tool bar is checked.
    Lastly, I clicked on Help and the is the info there:
    Quicken Starter Edition
    Year; 2020
    Version; R25.21
    Build; 27.1.25.21
    Membership valid until; April, 11 2021
    How this started I was in the process of updating the stock quotes for this week to see what the change was from last week. The message came back that my membership had expired. I never had that problem before. I upgraded to the basic edition to renew my membership, thinking that would fix the problem.
    It didn't. Then I found out I have to have the "DELUXE" edition to be able to download quotes off the internet. So I did that. I receive a message from Quicken that my membership had been upgraded to Deluxe and that my membership will expire on 12/23/2021and that it will renew automatically "at the current price". I don't want to pay full price each year, I don't do much except keep tract of my investments and my one credit card account. Unfortunately, I still have starter installed. How do I change it? Is there anyway to contact someone at Quicken directly to resolve this issue?
    I used to buy this program and had discs to reinstall if needed. Last year I was in contact with someone from Quicken and he upgraded me from 2015 to 2020.
    I didn't realize it was going to cause all these types of issues. Why can't I get discs to do it like I have in the past?
    Sorry to rag on you, but I am pissed!!!
    Is there any way you or someone else on community can help?

Thanks again,

JoeU
  • Boatnmaniac
    @JoeU - I can understand the frustration.  I know it is with the program, not with me.
    OK.  First things first.  Your Quicken version is Starter, not Deluxe.  That certainly affects the features available to you and what you can view in Quicken.
    My suggestion:
    1)  Verify what your Quicken.com account shows for the version you are subscribed to.  You can do that from within Quicken by clicking on Help > My Quicken Account.  What is the Active Quicken product shown there...Deluxe or Starter?
    2)  If it shows Starter, you will need to contact Quicken Support at the telephone number shown at the top right of the Quicken Account screen to get that corrected.  They will also be able to help you understand what you need to do to get the program on your computer upgraded to reflect Deluxe.
    3)  If it shows Deluxe, you might just need to refresh your Quicken ID profile in your program.  I think this can be done as follows:
    • Edit > Preferences > Quicken ID, Sync & Alerts > Sign in as a different user
    • Then sign in with your same Quicken ID login information.
    • When done:  Help > About Quicken.  Does it now show Quicken Deluxe?

• JoeU
    JoeU Member ✭✭
    Boatnmaniac,

Thanks for your reply. I did find a number for Quicken support on line and I will call Monday morning. What someone did when I talked to a representative from Quicken last year, he enrolled me in the version I have now. I was never told that I would have to update every year with a new version. I do not do a lot with quicken, just keep tract of investments (manually) checking account (manually) and credit account (manually). I do not need to have mobile access since i do not have a mobile phone to use it on. What I want to get through with the Quicken representative on Monday is that I want to buy a disc version of the latest program and update it when I want to.
    Prior to this incident I would upgrade every three to four years. That is all I need. I hope I can get through to them so I can remove the version they down loaded on my PC and let me buy a copy of the latest disc version. I appreciate all of your help and assistance. I just want to get back to the old way I did it. As a retired 73 yr. old, I don't need all this to raise my blood pressure and out-of-pocket costs. Have a Happy Easter!
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    You did not state what version you were using prior, but if you still have the installation disk and older backup files, you could uninstall the subscription version and reinstall your old version and request a refund. Since you maintain your file manually, simply add the investment prices to your manual updates. If you decide to go this route, you should provide this detail before proceeding to get better instructions.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Just a few notes to help clarify a few things.

1) The "edition" you have is controlled by the subscription in your Quicken.com account.  The Quicken program doesn't actually change.  To go from Starter to Deluxe is all about getting that subscription updated, not uninstalling and reinstalling since they are the same program.  Quicken looks at the subscription and limits the features based on it.

2) The original question was about not using "15 minute updates".  This feature is only in Premier or above, so this isn't "the problem".  The problem is clearly that the Starter version doesn't support investment accounts (they can be in there, but they will be read-only) and as such no Investment tab, and for whatever reason the upgrade to Deluxe didn't happen.  Once you get your subscription updated you will see the Investment tab again, just like it was in your old version of Quicken.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited April 2020
    @JoeU - I understand your dilemma.  Unfortunately, the old "buy-a-CD-for-3-yrs-before-upgrading" hasn't been an option since 2017.  The subscription model (12-26 months options) is the only one available today.  When the subscription expires, Starter will become read-only.  Deluxe and higher will be manual entry only.  No online services will be available with any of them.  Perhaps the worst part about this is that Quicken will have pop-ups and banners reminding you to renew, consuming a big part of your screen and there's nothing you can do to get rid of them...unless you renew your subscription.
    You might want to take up @GeoffG 's offer to assist with helping you go back to 2015 if you still have that disc.
    Also, if you are successful in going back to 2015 and since you just re-subscribed to Quicken this week, you should be able to request a full refund from Quicken for it.
    Sorry.  I wish I had better news for you.  Happy Easter to you, too!

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Note the way to go back to Quicken 2015 would be to uninstall current release, reinstall Quicken 2015, restore data file from backup before update, and reenter any transactions you have put in the new release.

Quicken 2016 and above have the same data file format, so it can read any data file newer than that, but the same isn't true of Quicken 2015 and below, they aren't backwards compatible like this.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    P.S.  Quicken 2015 was put out by Intuit.  If you purchased it directly from them you might still be able to download it from your account with them.  Same for downloading from retailer like Amazon.  Also it might be possible if purchased from Intuit that, that download for the install will be in your Quicken account too.

But it is highly unlikely that Quicken Inc support is going to supply an install for Quicken 2015.
    Signature:
  • JoeU
    JoeU Member ✭✭
    GeoffG,
    I had 2015 installed before quicken downloaded 2020 last year.
    I always back up my data on a separate USB stick.
    Boatnmaniac,
    I do have the 2015 discs, but I just ordered a factory sealed copy of 2017. I will install that after I contact Quicken to cancel my subscription order and refund my money.
    Hopefully they will agree.
    Chris_QPW,
    As I have mentioned, I have a back up copy of all of our accounts on a USB stick, and have ordered a copy of 2017 - hopefully I can continue to use that from now on. That should arrive by next Saturday. If I remove my subscription copy of 2020 and then install 2017, I should be able to use the back up files I have as it starts up or as a restore. I have only made 2 or 3 entries since this happened.
    I also have the 2015 discs - should I reinstall that first before installing 2017?
    That is not a problem. As a retires 73 yr. old on SS I have plenty of time - not money! We only have one checking account, one credit account and some investments with Edward Jones. All of that record keeping is done manually not automatic downloads. I still use paper not paperless methods.
    Thanks guys for all of the help. If I need to do anything else special, please let me know before Saturday when I redo with 2017.
    Joe Uridil
    Be safe all.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you have Quicken 2017 that is great.  You should be able to just uninstall Quicken Subscription and install Quicken 2017 and use the same data file.  You shouldn't even have to go to your backup data file since Quicken 2017 has no problem reading a Quicken Subscription data file.
    Signature:
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited April 2020
    @JoeU - There were two Quicken 2017 products available.  One was for the type of Quicken CD product that we always used to buy...install the program on the computer and after 3 yrs upgrade to a new version.  This 2017 product will have online services available until later this month when the online services support expires.  But you will be able to continue using it manually after that.
    The other product is for the subscription program.  Like all subscription programs (2017, 2018, 2019, 2020) you can buy it on a CD for installation.  During installation it will request an activation code (which should be in the CD box) and Quicken ID number (or request you to create one) and will then upgrade to the latest revision.  If you bought this one then you just bought another subscription and you might want to try to cancel the order before it ships (unless you really want to stay with the subscription model).
    Sorry, I stand corrected.  I was pulling this off memory and I should have checked first.  Quicken 2017 is the old model program.  Subscription started with Quicken 2018 but it was released in 2017.  So, you should be OK with what you bought...but note that online services with it will discontinue later this month.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Note if you want to you could of course uninstall Quicken Subscription, install Quicken 2015, install Quicken 2015, restore from backup, add new entries, and then when Quicken 2017 shows up install that and continue on.  It is all up to you.

Just one more point when going "backwards" you should always uninstall manually instead of trying to let the install do the uninstall (it will probably tell you to do the install manually anyways).

And it wouldn't hurt to remove (they say rename, but I would just remove them) the folders mentioned in this article for Quicken 2017 to make sure you have a good clean environment for the install:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken
    Signature:
  • JoeU
    JoeU Member ✭✭
    Chris_QPW,
    I was mistaken. What I had installed was Quicken 2019 not 2015, which was a subscription version. I did not realize the change when I ordered it the last time. I do have a 2013 version, but do I need to install that after I remove (uninstall) the current program? I tried to contact Quicken, but they are only open normal business hours which is 11 AM Eastern time. I am also asking the person I bought the 2017 version from if it contains discs and if it was an update rather than a full version. I am getting so confused and fed up. If this doesn't work, is there any other finance program I can input my data from Quicken? What a pain!
  • JoeU
    JoeU Member ✭✭
    Boatnmaniac,
    The 2017 version I first ordered was a subscription type. I have since cancelled it and found a non-subscription version and bought it. I also have contacted Quicken to cancel the renewal I made last Saturday - that has been done. I will follow the link to remove the current Quicken program from my computer. I will have to save all of the receipts I will get until the new program arrives on Thursday. Hopefully I won't have to bother you all again. If you have any other tips, please let me know.
    Thanks,
    Joe Uridil
This discussion has been closed.