QFX files not importing - Quicken Mac 2016 v3.8.3

Options
BentChainRing
BentChainRing Member ✭✭
IM a long time quicken user. I downloaded my bank account QFX files. Tried to import them into Quicken 2016 v3.8.3 and its giving me an error about connection services being expired...but I dont use connection services. I just download transactions from my bank and import them. Its never been a problem. I checked for an update but Q says Im up to data, in terms of this version. What is up here?

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Options
    IM a long time quicken user. I downloaded my bank account QFX files. Tried to import them into Quicken 2016 v3.8.3 and its giving me an error about connection services being expired...but I dont use connection services.

Importing a QFX file is considered an "online service", and as such is disabled once the support for your version of Quicken expires.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Quicken 2016 online services ended last April 30, so you shouldn't have been getting any online services (including uploading QFX files) for the past 11 months. If you were using it and it was working, you may have been in some lucky black hole where the service didn't cut off. ;)  (But as Chris says above, this is the way things work.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • BentChainRing
    BentChainRing Member ✭✭
    Options
    How is importing a local QFX file on my computer considered an 'online service'?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Because the first thing that Q does as part of that import is to "call home" and see if you're running a currently supported product and if the file was produced by a "Participating Financial Institution".
    You QFX file is failing that first test as your product is no longer supported.
    And, BTW, you downloaded from an online source ... didn't you???

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @BentChainRing  There are other things Quicken does in the background when you upload a QFX file which access its servers, like Payee name normalization and auto-categorization of categories.

Could Quicken make it work differently, so you could upload QFX files at your own risk, without their background processes? Probably. But that's not their model. You're certainly not the first Quicken user to feel this isn't the way things should be; we're just telling you that this is the way Quicken works, and complaining that it's not right here isn't going to change that.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.