Get error "Unable to create the destination data file" when I try to backup Quicken

I get an error code" Unable to create the destination data file" when I try to back up Quicken onto my thumb drive as I have done for ages until very recently

Best Answer

• patmartinreno
    patmartinreno Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    In case this is of interest, I went to Quicken Chat and Hobdy solved problem in short order 1. Go to File, 2 Go to File Operations 3. Press and Hold CTRL SHIFT and while holding them, click on Validate and Repair 4. Check box for Validate file and click OK, close note pad 5 Close and reopen Quicken and Log In.

That worked first time for me.

Thank you for the efforts to help me

Thank you to Hobdy

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there sufficient space available on the USB drive for your QDF?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• patmartinreno
    patmartinreno Member ✭✭
    I tried a new thumb drive with plenty of space on it and the backup shows on it but I still get the error on Quicken and it says File NOT backed up
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a test, what happens when you select the local HD?
  • patmartinreno
    patmartinreno Member ✭✭
    I get the same error code "Unable to create the destination data file."

Sorry just got back to Quicken.

thank you. I hope you can help
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you do the backup to your HD, what's the FULL path to the backup location (starting with C:\\) and what's the full name of your Q data file?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• patmartinreno
    patmartinreno Member ✭✭
    C:\Users\Martin\Desktop\Qdata.QDF-backup
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the case of saving to your HD, you are pointing to the desktop when this should be a backup folder. So where are you specify the backup location when using the USB drive?
  • patmartinreno
    patmartinreno Member ✭✭
    F:\Qdata.QDF-backup

Sorry, I have been away from Quicken for a while, Still have same problem today
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a guess, but that is the root of F:. Try creating a folder, say "Backups" and try to save to that folder.
  • patmartinreno
    patmartinreno Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    In case this is of interest, I went to Quicken Chat and Hobdy solved problem in short order 1. Go to File, 2 Go to File Operations 3. Press and Hold CTRL SHIFT and while holding them, click on Validate and Repair 4. Check box for Validate file and click OK, close note pad 5 Close and reopen Quicken and Log In.

That worked first time for me.

Thank you for the efforts to help me

Thank you to Hobdy
This discussion has been closed.