Payee name keeps changing (Q Mac)

John_M
John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
I believe this issue started on Version 5.15.1. I have not yet updated to 5.15.2. I had never had this issue until recently.

I have a payee, which is CVS. I would prefer that it be all caps. I always enter transactions before they are downloaded, so I enter the payee as CVS. When the transaction is downloaded, it changes the payee to Cvs. It changes not only the most recent transaction, but also all of the past ones too.

So, I go into the "Payees & Rules" menu and change Cvs back to CVS. Everything is fine until the next transaction is downloaded and then all of the CVS transactions change back to Cvs.

I do not use Quicken Mobile. Under the Connected Services section of Preferences I have "Automatically improve the quality of downloaded payee names and categories" checked as I have had for years.

Any thoughts as to what is going on?

Comments

• John_M
    John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @skeleton567, but I don't see a preference for capitalization in the Mac version (I notice that you post in Windows). If there is one, I'm totally missing it.

The memorized payees list is where I keep changing the payee from Cvs to CVS.

I'm going to try to do a renaming rule (under Payees & Rules) to see if that fixes it.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @John_M

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue.

If you are still experiencing this issue, can you verify where the data file is stored?

This can be located by holding the "Control" key on the keyboard and clicking the file name along the top in Quicken.

In this path, do you see any mention of Dropbox or iCloud?

If the active file is stored in a cloud drive, this can cause the behavior that you have described.

Please let me know!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • John_M
    John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    I do not use Dropbox or iCloud for Quicken (although my backup files in Documents are stored in iCloud, I never access the Quicken files there). The path below has not changed for years. As stated earlier, this behavior did not start until 5.15.1. Here's my path (with a few edits to hide names).

Thanks for your reply.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @John_M

Thank you for verifying that the file location is not the cause of the issue.

I have a few more questions to help me understand what could be happening.

If you navigate to Window > Payees & Rules, do you have 2 separate Payees listed? CVS and the lowercase version?

Also, did you create a renaming rule or was there already one in place under Renaming Rules?

Please let me know!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • John_M
    John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    Only one payee listed. When it changes to Cvs, I change it back to CVS on the Payees & Rules screen. There was never a renaming rule. I don't really need them, since I always enter my transactions as they happen, so the downloaded transactions match with the correct name.

As stated in my second post, I have now created a renaming rule. I'll see if it works the next time I go to CVS (like most people, I'm not getting out as often these days...).

Thanks again.
  • John_M
    John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Hello @Quicken_Tyka I went back to CVS on the 15th. On that day, I entered the transaction in the register with payee of CVS. As noted above, I had already created a renaming rule (that I had never needed before) as follows.

When the transaction downloaded this morning, it changed the payee back to Cvs. In fact, it also changed the renaming rule as shown below.

I'm wondering if Quicken is trying to enforce a capitalization rule that allows only the first letter to be capitalized. I believe, this is the way the program worked several years ago (at least in the Windows version). Keep in mind that this behavior started only with 5.15.1 (I am currently on 5.15.3). Until that version, this did not happen.

I am going to put in a transaction from today for my grocery store (Market Basket), but enter the payee in all caps. I will also create a renaming rule (below). This will change all previous entries, but that can be changed later. We'll see what happens when the transaction is downloaded.

• John_M
    John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    The transaction downloaded today for MARKET BASKET and it retained the capitalization and did not change the renaming rule. So my theory appears to be incorrect. I'll just live with the fact that CVS gets changed to Cvs each time a transaction is downloaded and change it back. It takes less effort to change it than it does to get upset about it!
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Hi, John:

I am seeing this as well with my AT&T payee (what I have used for decades) suddenly getting replaced with At&t (something I would never type in.) A QuickFill rule gets auto-generated, even though I never created it. Deleting it accomplishes nothing-it comes back.)

No other payee has done this; the only unusual thing is that my few AT&T transactions are all scheduled transactions (for utility bills) that get "marked as paid" from the download versus the vast majority of other transactions that I manually enter or mark as paid beforehand.

Being that AT&T transactions only download twice a month, it takes time for testing. I will reset cloud data, and see if this prevents the change from occurring with future downloads.

We shouldn't have to create rules to compensate for the "auto-magic" overwriting what we manually entered.  :|
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @John_M and @John_in_NC  I hope you'll both report this via Report a Problem. It does seem like something that should be treated as a bug.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • John_M
    John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    Glad to have the input from you two SuperUsers. I was hoping someone with five stars would chime in on this. Problem has now been reported.
  • John_in_NC
    I reported this as well to Marcus a month ago.
  • John_M
    John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    Happening with a new payee for me now. USPS became Usps.
  • John_M
    John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Perhaps the ability to lock a payee, which has been introduced in the v5.16 release of Quicken for Mac, will fix this issue.
  • John_M
    John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    I "locked" the payee as "CVS" but as you can see Quicken still changed it to "Cvs" during my most recent download. So that doesn't seem to do the trick. Every time this happens, I change the Payee name again back to CVS and it stays correct until the next download.

Given that I have reported this as a bug, it looks like there's nothing else I can do other than live with it. There are worse problems in life...

• GeeRab
    GeeRab Member ✭✭
    I have the same exact issue with Cvs. Wasn't a problem until earlier this year. Not important, but certainly annoying and something that doesn't sound like it would be a major issue to fix.
  • John_M
    John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Happening now with REI as well as CVS, USPS,... Bug submitted months ago. Must not be important to Quicken.
  • John_M
    John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    This appears to have been fixed with the most recent version. I'm not seeing this error anymore.
  • John_in_NC
    John_M said:
    This appears to have been fixed with the most recent version. I'm not seeing this error anymore.
    I am seeing the same. 
  • KevinL
    KevinL Member ✭✭
    Anytime I have a single "word" with more than the first letter capitalized (or something like "and" that shouldn't be) I get the first letter capital and all others lowercase. So "McDonald's" is "Mcdonald's", "HP Instant Ink" is "Hp Instant Ink", "College of Charleston" is "College Of Charleston" and so on. Well, except CVS and AAA (so far...). This is absolutely annoying. This should be a comparison at the ASCII level. CVS and CVs and Cvs are NOT the same thing. If they might be, just ask me! ("CVs looks like CVS. Is that what you meant?")

My friend summed this up fairly well, I think: "With computers, we can fix problems we wouldn't have without them."
This discussion has been closed.