Tax Planner and Adjustments to Income Schedule 1 Part II Line 10

I have Educator Expenses (less than $250) reported on Form 1040: Educator Expenses, Self. Why isn’t Tax Planner picking this up and reporting as an Adjustment to Income? Tax Planner is correctly picking up my Student Loan Interest Deduction. I have a category for this and it is appropriately set up with the correct Tax Line Item. Just for giggles I changed these to Alimony and it picked them up as such.
Tagged:

Answers

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    You are correct.  The tax line is not set up to display in the Tax Planner module, Other Adjustments and it should be. Just like Student Loan Interest.

As a workaround you could assign the Student loan interest tax line to your Educator Expense category until Quicken updates the planner.
  • Tony Long
    Tony Long Member ✭✭✭
    It calculates the student loan interest, not the Educator Expense. I will use the workaround you suggested. I have manually entered too. Hopefully, Quicken will update the planner.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both Educator Exp and Student Loan Int both show in the Tax Schedule report under Form 1040 as negative numbers.  And in the Tax Summary report both show up as expenses.  So at least those reports capture them accurately.  Too bad that we can't add tax form associations to the appropriate buckets in Tax Planner.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Tony Long
    Tony Long Member ✭✭✭
    I know....I've been in a chat with Support and shared my screen with them so that they could see it...apparently, they are going to escalate it....we will see it's repaired. I know there is a workaround but I want things to work right....LOL
  • Tony Long
    Tony Long Member ✭✭✭
    @Boatnmaniac at least the Student Loan Interest did associate with appropriate bucket (other), it's just that the Educator Expense is not associating with any bucket even though it has been designated as Tax Related on Form 1040; Educator Expenses, self.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Tony Long - Yes, I saw that, too....@markus1957 just beat me to the punch on the recommendation.  :smile:
    Please post back here if/when you get additional response from Quicken Support. I'm not optimistic that they will do anything to fix this (they usually don't when it comes to Tax Planner) but maybe I'll be surprised. 

• Tony Long
    Tony Long Member ✭✭✭
    @Boatnmaniac will do!
  • Boatnmaniac
    Tony Long - This is not the only tax form that isn't associated with Tax Planner.  I just proposed that Tax Planner be made editable so users can add missing tax form associations to Tax Planner: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7874715/allow-users-to-add-tax-forms-to-tax-planner/p1?new=1.
    If you like this idea, please vote for it.

• Tony Long
    Tony Long Member ✭✭✭
    I will definitely do so!
This discussion has been closed.