Cannot reactivate 2019 QUICKEN Home and Business CD

I've been using Quicken home and business version on CD since 2014. Upgraded to 2017 and then again to 2019 last year. After installing 2019 on my computer, updating all my files to the newer version, none of my personalized categories, payee's, etc, were transferred over from 2017 to 2019. And that is a big deal to me. I did not have the time to deal with this so I uninstalled 2019 and went back to my 2017 version to finish the bookkeeping I had a deadline on. Pretty much forgot all about until recently. Currently since my 2017 version expired I no longer have had access to use it like I had before and decided to reinstall my 2019 CD. Because I had already used the activation code that came with the disc the first time I installed the program it will not let me do it again with that same code. I used the product for probably 20 minutes before I uninstalled it. I bought it at Office Max and I would just like to use it and get my taxes done. If i have to categorize everything all over again I guess I will have to do that but I really do not want tot pay $99 dollars again for something I haven't even been able to use the way I need it to work. It is even more frustrating that I cannot manually input my banking files into my unsupported 2017 version. But that's an entirely different question I have no desire to ask about. Any advice on how I can reinstall my 2019 CD of Quicken Home and Business and Rental Property would be very much appreciated.

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    First off there should be no reason why you can't use Quicken 2017 manually, in fact for a few more days you should be able to download (support expires after the 30th).

Next all of your categories should have "transferred", in fact there isn't any file conversion between Quicken 2017 and Quicken Subscription (2018 and beyond).

About the only thing I can suggest on that score would be to try running Validate & Repair on the file.  And it might be better to do it in Quicken 2017 instead of Quicken Subscription:
    File -> File Operations -> Validate & Repair -> select Validate File -> OK

As for the subscription once you activated it, the time starts, it doesn't matter how long you used it.  So depending on when you activated it, the subscription may or may not have expired.  But again as long as you have the Deluxe or above edition you should still be able to do manual entries.  The one difference between Quicken 2017 and Quicken Subscription when support expires is that with Quicken Subscription there will be ads that take up about 25% of the screen.

Of course it wouldn't hurt to ask Quicken support if they can do anything about getting you more time given what happened.  They might also be able to help with some of the problems you are having.  They can do a screen share which might help understand the problem(s).

You can also log into your account on www.quicken.com to see the "priority" support number there (gets you to the front of the line of people that are waiting that don't have "priority" support)

Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    There was NO file update (file conversion OR file format change) from QW2017 to QW2019.
    Anyone currently running QW Subscription can uninstall it, re-install QW2017 and proceed merrily on their way.  They won't have download (after 4/30) but the data will be there.
    So I don't understand what you're claiming.
    And, please try to put some white space in your message.  I almost went cross-eyed trying to read this.

Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    First off there should be no reason why you can't use Quicken 2017 manually, in fact for a few more days you should be able to download (support expires after the 30th).

Next all of your categories should have "transferred", in fact there isn't any file conversion between Quicken 2017 and Quicken Subscription (2018 and beyond).

About the only thing I can suggest on that score would be to try running Validate & Repair on the file.  And it might be better to do it in Quicken 2017 instead of Quicken Subscription:
    File -> File Operations -> Validate & Repair -> select Validate File -> OK

As for the subscription once you activated it, the time starts, it doesn't matter how long you used it.  So depending on when you activated it, the subscription may or may not have expired.  But again as long as you have the Deluxe or above edition you should still be able to do manual entries.  The one difference between Quicken 2017 and Quicken Subscription when support expires is that with Quicken Subscription there will be ads that take up about 25% of the screen.

Of course it wouldn't hurt to ask Quicken support if they can do anything about getting you more time given what happened.  They might also be able to help with some of the problems you are having.  They can do a screen share which might help understand the problem(s).

You can also log into your account on www.quicken.com to see the "priority" support number there (gets you to the front of the line of people that are waiting that don't have "priority" support)

Signature:
  • kdeanyahoo
    kdeanyahoo Member ✭✭
    Thank you Chris_QPD, I will give your suggestions a try. I appreciate your response.
  • kdeanyahoo
    kdeanyahoo Member ✭✭
    @NotACPA, Thank you for your response as well. I believe Chris_QPD answered my question. And without the snarkiness yours had. I'll stop now so to save your eyesight. Have a nice rest of your day.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @kdeanyahoo ,

I don't know the reason for people buying CD for Quicken Subscription products.

Once the CD is used and you activate Quicken on the computer, that CD becomes a brick, used now for a Glass Coaster.

Quicken 2016, 2017 and Quicken Subscription Products, uses the same Quicken Data File Format, using Manual Backup and Restore.between installations.

To reinstall Quicken Subscription, on each computer installation, use this procedure:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7844658/installing-reinstalling-windows-quicken-subscription-editions

Don't skip a step.

Questions?

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R35.31  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.6 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19043.1165
                       Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit Build 22000.176
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19043.1165

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

• kdeanyahoo
    kdeanyahoo Member ✭✭
    @thecreator, I plan on giving both Chris_QPD and your suggestions a decent try first thing in the a.m. Thank you to you as well for the advice.

I believe people buy the CD's because they really do not know any better. I think there are a lot of people who feel the hard.copy has got more value to it than a digital download like before you would get your windows software on a disc when you bought your brand new computer. Obviously that is not how this works but old habits or expectations die hard.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    SO, they can buy the download and then copy it to a USB drive. 
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Some people buy the CD because not everybody buys the program directly from Quicken. There are so many scams out there that you might buy a download online thinking it's a legal reseller and get a virus on your computer.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @pilot135pd You can actually avoid getting a virus these days by not using the install they might point you to.

You can get the install for Quicken here:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-download-quicken-quickencom-after-i-buy-it

What you would need though is the activation code, which is just a number that they should send to you in an email or maybe on a webpage.

Of course there is nothing to stop them from scamming someone, but hopefully that would also be able to be dealt with by disputing charge on the credit card.

But of course the best way is to buy from a known retailer. 
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.