I had several QDATA files on my desktop from a back-up hard drive. I had inputed 13 months of data

Options
and always reconciled after each month. On my old system (both Windows 10), the data was saved to my hard drive. I sent all the old QDATA files to my recycle bin. Now I cannot pull up my data. I did not clear my recycle bin, so I restored all the files to my desktop. Still I cannot pull up the data I inputted covering the last 13 months. I thought info would be saved until you dump (clear) the recycle bin.

Best Answer

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @fatherdon41,

Can you tell us what happens when you try to open the QDF files with Quicken?

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• fatherdon41
    fatherdon41 Member
    Options
    They all show the info that was originally showing from the old hard drive when pulled from it. Three show last data date of 2010 and the one I was working from evidently showed an ending date of March 2019. All the data is from my banking statements going back to 1998. I put in each month for my wife's and my banking account. i would reconcile each month before entering the following month data. I am using the Quicken Deluxe, Version $26.15, Build 27.1.26.15.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Okay, so with respect to each of the data files you retrieved from the recycle bin - the 13 months of input is missing.  Is there any chance that you had auto backups setup?  To check Go to: "Edit" > "Preferences" > "Backup" and look at the right window - Is "Automatic Bankups" Checked?

Even if it isn't - click on "Open Backup Directory" and see if there is a recent file located there.

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• fatherdon41
    fatherdon41 Member
    Options
    Automatic backups is checked.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    and always reconciled after each month. On my old system (both Windows 10), the data was saved to my hard driveall the . I sent old QDATA files to my recycle bin. Now I cannot pull up my data. I did not clear my recycle bin, so I restored all the files to my desktop. Still I cannot pull up the data I inputted covering the last 13 months. I thought info would be saved until you dump (clear) the recycle bin.
    I'm so confused... trying to figure things out -
    What do you mean - Old System ?
    What or why did you send/delete old QDATA files to the Recycle Bin ?
    Do you mean your actual Quicken QDF data file that contains ALL your data ?
    OR do you mean some of the QDF-BACKUP files ...... BIG difference -
    A Recycle Bin restore puts the files back to the exact location they came from -
    was that your Desktop originally - vs the usual /Quicken/ folder ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you need help restoring from a backup - here's what you need to do:

FIRST - make a manual backup of your current file and save to your desktop - just in case something goes wrong!
    1. Choose File menu > Backup and Restore > Restore from Backup file 
    2. Click on Restore from automatic backups, and "Open Backup Directory" and then select one of the backup files listed - I would suggest that you pick the most recent one.
    3. To replace the current file with the backup, select Overwrite the open file with the restored file and click Restore Backup.
    Let me know how this goes.

Frankx

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lastly - just to get the file names correct....
    which file names are you seeing - the .QDF or the .QDF-backup ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• fatherdon41
    fatherdon41 Member
    Options
    I opened the backup directory - there were for files listed. I tried opening all 4 and they showed data up to 2010, not 2019 or 2020.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    From what you told me, it appears that you did not save your work, or perhaps mistakenly overwrote / deleted the file with "13 months" of recent Q transactions.  I would make sure that you search your entire drive for the file, before starting over.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

• fatherdon41
    fatherdon41 Member
    Options
    I just looked at the back up files and Quicken QDF data that just was updated from the back up. It shows my full history. How do I copy this file over to my c drive, as it is evidently on one of my back up drives is the system (I had a system crash last year, and I had to have the crashed hard drive info put on a new hard drive (it is now listed as drive I.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Options
    You should be able to either Move or Copy it using windows.  Just make sure that you close out Quicken before you copy it and when you restart Quicken - Select "File" > "Open Quicken File" > and point it to the file you just moved.

Just to check - when you say "full history" are you saying the it has the "13 months" of new input?

Frankx

• fatherdon41
    fatherdon41 Member
    Options
    I want to thank both of you (FrankX and ps56k) for your great assistance. You were able to decipher what I was trying to say, and you were able to bring my info back to me. Thank you very much. Have a super week and stay safe.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Happy to help.  And same to you!

• fatherdon41
    fatherdon41 Member
    Options
    Yes, from 1998 thru this month.
This discussion has been closed.