Category Report prints all rows, want to collapse some Categories to reduce size of report

I'm trying to get a category report for the last year. I customized it so I see only certain categories or sub-categories. Also I manually collapsed many sub-categories so I would only see the hierarchy without many of the sub-categories.
When I print or save to pdf, the modifications I've made in customize or manually collapsing sub-categores does not take effect, so the pdf shows every category and sub-category. My report is then 86 pages long!! I don't want this!
Please help.
Tagged:

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    If you are starting with the Category Summary report, try instead Create Transaction Report (by Category). 
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • rwoolley2
    rwoolley2 Member ✭✭
    That didn't help. A big part of the problem is that for my credit card expenses, which are almost all of my expenses, each Category lists the expense from my CC for each month of the report. All the times for a month when the expense category was $0.00 are shown along with the times there was an actual $$ expense. That blows up the report.
    If I could collapse the sub-categories manually or somehow in the Customize section, then that would help tremendously. I did collapse a lot of the sub-categories in the Customize window, but it didn't make any difference - I'm still getting the same number of pages in the report. I tried collapsing manually and then doing File > Print but still get 80+ pages.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    How about using a Summary Report?
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Yes, the fact that collapsing headings onscreen doesn't translate to the printed reports has been a glaring omission of the new reports engine in Quicken Mac. It's been brought up in this forum a number of times, and acknowledged by the product manager, so I'd expect to see this fixed sooner rather than later.

Currently, you may be better off exporting the report to a spreadsheet and cleaning up what you actually want in Excel or Numbers.  

I'm a little confused about the $0 amounts you mention. How are you organizing the report.? If you use Rows=Category, there aren't monthly totals.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • rwoolley2
    rwoolley2 Member ✭✭
    The Summary Report worked. The $0 amounts from my credit card are gone.

There are some Categories that don't show that I have enabled in the Customize section. Would that be the case if there was nothing spent or no income for those categories over the period of the report? I'm doing a 12-month report.
    Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.