reconciling credit card to online balance

Hello,

I am trying to reconcile a credit card to the online balance but the reconciliation box keeps trying to do it only to March 31. It will not include any transactions beyond that, yet the online balance reflects todays balance so it is showing a large difference. My quicken balance today is correct and matches the online balance, but the reconciliation window keeps telling me I'm off? How do I get it to reconcile to todays balance to match the online balance please?

Thank you
Pamela

Best Answer

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Pamela:

I understand the issue is the incorrect online balance date in the reconcile window when using the Balance to Online option. You can't change that online date reported as it comes from your bank. Only a Quicken tech support agent (or your bank) can determine the source of that error. 

That said, if you back out of the online reconcile, and use the Reconcile to Statement option using today's date and online balance, it will work the same way. (So, yes, that is how you can change the ending date.)

I do this all the time in when reconciling to an online balance with accounts. 

Answers

• John_in_NC
    Hi again, Pamela:

Why your online balance is out of date is for another conversation; that likely is a problem upstream of you or with an issue with the way your bank is reporting it.

But, you certainly can back out of that reconciliation and choose to reconcile against the statement. There, use the online balance/date for the ending fields. You should reconcile if everything is correct.

In terms of reconcile, it is the same-the only thing the "online" option is doing is pre-populating the fields from what is being pushed out from the bank.
  • pamela77
    pamela77 Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you John, I appreciate your answer. I read back through questions about the problems upstream before I posted my question, but maybe I missed something. My online balance is exactly what my quicken balance shows, and I went through every transaction back to when the card was opened and checked them with the transactions in my quicken. The only problem is with the reconciliation window. I am wondering if the date can be changed on the online reconciliation? It keeps defaulting to march 31st and I want to take it to todays balance, which would then match my quicken balance. It is trying to match the online balance with March 31st balance, and it won't show any transactions beyond march 31st in the reconciliation window (the little window that pops up when you click on reconcile:
  • John_in_NC
    Answer ✓
    Pamela:

I understand the issue is the incorrect online balance date in the reconcile window when using the Balance to Online option. You can't change that online date reported as it comes from your bank. Only a Quicken tech support agent (or your bank) can determine the source of that error. 

That said, if you back out of the online reconcile, and use the Reconcile to Statement option using today's date and online balance, it will work the same way. (So, yes, that is how you can change the ending date.)

I do this all the time in when reconciling to an online balance with accounts. 
  • pamela77
    pamela77 Member ✭✭✭
    John that's perfect! That is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.