Generating mini-report

I'm stumped... at the top of the check register, there is an option to generate a quick mini-report. I select the criteria and it does not return the correct balance amount.

To illustrate this example... After I select a Payee name (in the search box at the top right) and then from the pop-down menu selection, I select "This Year", "Deposit", "All Transactions" in the three separate boxes, and then get the selected items displayed as a mini-check register... but the last column, showing the balances is not correct to show the selected criteria amount.

Please advise what needs to be done or is this a problem to report???

Best Answers

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    HI @ksrothschild,

Quick question - are you a Mac or Windows user?

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• ksrothschild
    ksrothschild Member ✭✭✭
    Windows

Version 26.17

Build 27.1.26.17
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay - I now see what you are talking about.  But there is no "mini-report" and there are two different things that you are looking at - one on the left side of the screen and the other on the right.

1) on the right - there is a "Search" box - this is separate function that lets you do a search of the register.  It has nothing to do with the "boxes' on the top left.  If you type something in the search box, it will serach the register and return transactions that meet that search criteria.  If you type an amount it will retiurn all transactions with that amount, etc.

2) on the top left there are three sorting boxes (that have nothing to do with the Search function discussed above).  You have the ability to sort the transactions:

a) By date, including a variety of date ranges;
    b) By type, either payments or deposits;
    c) By transaction type - with a number of options.

Hope this helps - let me know if you have any follow-ups.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW - You almost had me "stumped" there for a few minutes...
     ;) 

• ksrothschild
    ksrothschild Member ✭✭✭
    We are getting there... yes, your number 1 and number 2 bracketed response does have something to do with each other together.

Your number 1) bracketed response is what I did to narrow down to the desired payee - and with that weeded down, it leads to number 2) bracketed response as I want to do select the a), b), and c). After making these three selections - the right-most running balance amount is NOT correct.

Maybe, if I do a screenshot and "white out" the identifiable data - and then send to you, would that help???
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, now I understand what you are doing, and I see what you mean by the "running balance" "is NOT correct". 

But that last column is the "running balance" of the account.  And that's why I stated that - in my view - the two functions are actually meant to be used standalone, and not in tandem (although I understand that you could choose to use them together).
    And when you do choose to use them in the manner you described (together) you are correct that the amount displayed in the "running balance" column is not what you might expect to see - because you expect to see a "total" of the items - which is different than a "running balance". 

A "total" is not the same as a "running balance" by definition.  You probably have figured this out already, but Quicken takes the "running balance" in the account after the first item on your sorted list and then adds or subtracts each of the other line items in your"sorted list" - producing a "running balance" that is - in my view - meaningless. If you expected the amount shown to be simply the total of the sorted amounts, Quicken doesn't have a column for "total" (nor does any other register that I am familiar with). 

Hope this helps.

Frankx

• ksrothschild
    ksrothschild Member ✭✭✭
    I'm indeed glad that you got what I was trying to explain.

Yes, I only wish that this method would result only what I want from this mini-register-report.

Yes, I want the true picture of the selected criteria and have the actual balance numbers. What good is the balance, as it is done now, because it is very misleading and off the point.

Would you know how to rectify this concern... or even bring this issue up to Quicken for their perusal in coming up with a "fix".

Thank you again,
  • ksrothschild
    ksrothschild Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you... I do see and got the desired results... but as you said, it requires more keystrokes/effort to get to what I wanted... One issue I noticed... I wanted to do the selection by the "Payee" and lacking that option, I opted for the next possible selection - and once I got the report, I was able to see the total in a different light.

Still, I would like Quicken to consider my suggestion for a quick display scenario according to the SEARCH criteria on the register screen page because my SEARCH was based on the Payee keyword selection.

I hope you can pass my thoughts on to the Quicken group.

Thank you!!!
  • ksrothschild
    ksrothschild Member ✭✭✭
    TomEHawke...

THANKS!!! This is what I like... a quick and easy method!!! However, it needs one more item to the period covered... It covers 30/60/90 days, last 6 months, last 1 year, and last 3 years... I'll like to see one more period included - "This year". It's now end of April, and that means about 120 days since the beginning of 2020. Hope somebody can add this "This Year" time period... Again, MANY thanks TomEHawke!!! ;-)
  • TomEHawke
    TomEHawke Member ✭✭✭
    If you click on "Show Report" from the mini-report, you'll see a drop down on the left side of the full report for Date Range. You can select any time period you'd like from there. Yearly and Year To Date are just two of the selections.
  • ksrothschild
    ksrothschild Member ✭✭✭
    Yes... I did see that feature when you first posted in response to my inquiry. I do know that it will require more steps to take. This is why I thought to myself to request that "This year" as another option for the Quicken people to add. I hope that somebody can take it from there and implement my request. Thank you again!!! ;-)
  • ksrothschild
    ksrothschild Member ✭✭✭
    TomEHawke,

Again... a BIG thank you for the follow up response. I really wanted that "This Year" option, but as you said, "ONE more click", I can't ask for anything better... No, I do not want the moon... but the bottom line, the mini-register report is what I wanted to start in the first place all along...

Again, THANKS!!! ;-)
This discussion has been closed.