Apple Card transaction transfer

Does anyone know if there's some automated way to transfer Apple Card transaction data to Quicken?

I already know about exporting OFX data to my Mac and importing it into Quicken, but I was looking for a way to get it done in an automated fashion when I do an "Update All Online Accounts" in Quicken Mac, or failing that through some magic using the Quicken Mobile or Web applications.

While the OFX route is somewhat convenient, the statements are only generated once per month and I'd like up to the minute data in my Apple Card credit card account in Quicken.

Maybe direct connect to Goldman Sachs or something?

-- Thanks, Verne
Tagged:

Comments

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    No, you aren't going to automate it any more than what you already have.

There are costs associated with supporting direct downloading, and GS has decided not to support it. You won't be able to Direct Connect as GS doesn't support it for this account type.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    So far, Apple/Goldman Sachs has not chosen to support Quicken connectivity for their customers. I would guess it's an Apple decision, not Goldman, whether to provide access, but there's nothing Quicken can do until/unless Apple chooses to do. Your only real avenue is to write to Apple and urge them to support their customers (many of whom post here about this issue) who want to download transactions into Quicken.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Last month I found and purchased a program titled OFX2QIF (there are many variations of this program) by ProperSoft. It was $39 and works very well. Just a few steps and transactions are neatly placed within Quicken.

Today I exported the April OFX files from our Apple cards and ran OFX2QIF and brought the transactions into Quicken (which again it worked without a hitch). Just for fun I thought I would check to see if Apple Card had showed up in the list of institutions providing a connection for direct import...and there it is!!! Search on Apple and you will see Apple Card is there in the list now. I haven't had any luck figuring out how to set it up yet, and see no mention online, but thought I would post that info here for others to investigate.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    What's interesting is that I thought Quicken strictly required QFX files, the Quicken variant on OFX files. (That's why you needed the third-party program to manipulate the OFX download from Apple Card into a QFX format Quicken would accept.) But you are correct that Apple Card now shows up in the list of supported institutions for importing from a downloaded file. 

For Apple Card to be in the program, they have to have signed an agreement with Quicken or Intuit to participate. I wonder whether Quicken then compromised and made the import work with an unmodified OFX file. As I said, I wasn't aware that they ever did this, but maybe Apple is such a big deal that they made an exception? Or it's possible the OFX files don't actually import, and this previews that Apple Card will soon be adding a QFX download link?

Since you have an Apple Card and I don't, you can experiment with it by creating a new Quicken file, and setting up one account for your Apple Card. See if it accepts the OFX file in the "Drop downloaded files here" box.  
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • vernea
    vernea Member ✭✭✭
    Quicken (at least the current version) readily accepts OFX files exported from Apple Wallet for the Apple Card; in fact I just export the OFX and use AirDrop to transfer the file to my Mac's Downloads folder.

From there, I just use File->Import->Bank or Brokerage File (OFX, QFX) to import the data.

During the first import, I created a credit card account called Apple Card and from then on it's imported straight into my Apple Card account.

For some reason, the account started out with a starting balance of something like -$3395.41, but I just zeroed that value and now all is well.

Unfortunately though, Apple only seems to let me cut an OFX export file for each month's complete transaction history, so I can't get an up to the minute account balance in Quicken.

After importing the data, I have to take the checking account transaction which actually pays that month's Apple Card balance and convert it to a Transfer->[Apple Card], and Quicken finds the corresponding payment in the Apple Card transaction list and links the credit card payment back to my checking account.

While all this is a pain in the rear end, it sure beats the heck out of typing in the transactions by hand :).
  • BrendaWiggins
    BrendaWiggins Member ✭✭
    Quicken now shows Apple Card as an institution and Apple Card downloads include a file type QFX. I never got an OFX file to import. Quicken has not supported OFX in about a decade. Maybe you are using a very old version of Quicken before it switched to the QFX file type for transactions. You are correct about only downloading monthly and not in real or active time. But here is what I found to stop me from making this work. Quicken instruction has a link to 'https://apple.co/ExportCardTransactions' but that yields only oops and warning about data being stolen by hackers. I figured there was a typo on the Quicken site and add a 'com' in place of 'co'. No better results. This link is supposed to allow you to access the monthly download files, then open them in Quicken. That does not work.
    Quicken needs to find out just what Apple might or look at the documentation to find a valid link and one with a certificate that shows it is legit. I could not find any Apple card support page that would allow a log in the downloaded files. I have downloaded the QFX files to my OneDrive so I can try importing them into the Quicken. So far the iPhone download statements tasks are very slow for such very small files. I only have 2 downloaded and I have started several that bombed.
    It looks like Apple's transaction files must be hidden deep or on a slow backburner server at Goodman Sachs. Seems they made a move on getting the QFX files but not good access via any means by a small phone across too many servers for this to be efficient as yet.
    I am running Quicken on a PC Laptop and there is no way an OFX file will open and download. And if it would work, the files are impossible to get in a file system that I can use to open on my laptop PC. I have stopped using the card and will not until I can first import the card transactions from Oct 2019 to date (April 2020) -- another month rounds the corner in a few days.
    BWWigs
  • vernea
    vernea Member ✭✭✭
    > @BrendaWiggins said:
    > Quicken now shows Apple Card as an institution and Apple Card downloads include a file type QFX. I never got an OFX file to import. Quicken has not supported OFX in about a decade. Maybe you are using a very old version of Quicken before it switched to the QFX file type for transactions. You are correct about only downloading monthly and not in real or active time. But here is what I found to stop me from making this work. Quicken instruction has a link to 'https://apple.co/ExportCardTransactions' but that yields only oops and warning about data being stolen by hackers. I figured there was a typo on the Quicken site and add a 'com' in place of 'co'. No better results. This link is supposed to allow you to access the monthly download files, then open them in Quicken. That does not work.

I'm using the latest version of Quicken Mac Premier 2020 Version 5.15.3 (Build 515.33035.100) running the latest macOS (10.15.4) on a 2017 5K iMac core-i7/64GB. On the iPhone side, I'm running iOS 13.4.1 running on a iPhone 11 Pro Max 512GB.

On the iPhone, I just go into Wallet, select the Apple Card, tap the Card Balance block, select the month to export, and select Export Transactions. I pick Open Financial Exchange (OFX) and AirDrop the file to my Mac. I assume the transfer is a binary transfer, and on the Mac I simply go to File -> Import -> Bank or Brokerage File (OFX, QFX) … and import the data.

IIRC, the first time I had to select which account to import into, but after that it's all just happened automagically.

I haven't use the Apple Card as a bank thing, but may try it on the May statement.

> Quicken needs to find out just what Apple might or look at the documentation to find a valid link and one with a certificate that shows it is legit. I could not find any Apple card support page that would allow a log in the downloaded files. I have downloaded the QFX files to my OneDrive so I can try importing them into the Quicken. So far the iPhone download statements tasks are very slow for such very small files. I only have 2 downloaded and I have started several that bombed.
    > It looks like Apple's transaction files must be hidden deep or on a slow backburner server at Goodman Sachs. Seems they made a move on getting the QFX files but not good access via any means by a small phone across too many servers for this to be efficient as yet.
    > I am running Quicken on a PC Laptop and there is no way an OFX file will open and download. And if it would work, the files are impossible to get in a file system that I can use to open on my laptop PC. I have stopped using the card and will not until I can first import the card transactions from Oct 2019 to date (April 2020) -- another month rounds the corner in a few days.

The transfer (I assume) takes place as a binary transfer, and as this is a non .txt text file transfer there is probably no line end negotiation. The file appears on my Mac to be a standard unix text file - an iPhone is just a little Mac after all - with line ends of a newline (or linefeed).

Being as how standard Windows line ends are <cr><lf> (carriage return followed by linefeed), you may want to transmogrify them using whatever software you possess to a more palatible text file format before trying to import them. I've seen this before because Windows based stdio libraries tend to be rather restrictive on what a text file should look like. Hex dump the text files if you don't know what I'm talking about - make sure the line ends are x'0d0a' before attempting the import.
  • vernea
    vernea Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    > @BrendaWiggins said:
    > Quicken now shows Apple Card as an institution and Apple Card downloads include a file type QFX. I never got an OFX file to import. Quicken has not supported OFX in about a decade. Maybe you are using a very old version of Quicken before it switched to the QFX file type for transactions. You are correct about only downloading monthly and not in real or active time. But here is what I found to stop me from making this work. Quicken instruction has a link to 'https://apple.co/ExportCardTransactions' but that yields only oops and warning about data being stolen by hackers. I figured there was a typo on the Quicken site and add a 'com' in place of 'co'. No better results. This link is supposed to allow you to access the monthly download files, then open them in Quicken. That does not work.

I'm running the latest version of Quicken Premier 2020 Mac (Version 5.15.3 [Build 515.33035.100]) on the latest macOS (10.15.4) on a 2017 core-i7 5K iMac with 64GB, and the latest iOS (13.4.1) on an iPhone 11 Pro Max with 512GB.

I go into the Wallet app, select the Apple Card, hit the Card Balance tile, and select the month I want to export.

I then hit Export Transactions and select Open Financial Exchange (OFX). I AirDrop the file to my Mac.

On the Mac I got into Quicken and hit File -> Import -> Bank or Brokerage File (OFX, QFX) and import the data. I believe the first time I had to select a credit card account I'd set up called Apple Card, but after that it all took place automagically.

> Quicken needs to find out just what Apple might or look at the documentation to find a valid link and one with a certificate that shows it is legit. I could not find any Apple card support page that would allow a log in the downloaded files. I have downloaded the QFX files to my OneDrive so I can try importing them into the Quicken. So far the iPhone download statements tasks are very slow for such very small files. I only have 2 downloaded and I have started several that bombed.
    > It looks like Apple's transaction files must be hidden deep or on a slow backburner server at Goodman Sachs. Seems they made a move on getting the QFX files but not good access via any means by a small phone across too many servers for this to be efficient as yet.
    > I am running Quicken on a PC Laptop and there is no way an OFX file will open and download. And if it would work, the files are impossible to get in a file system that I can use to open on my laptop PC. I have stopped using the card and will not until I can first import the card transactions from Oct 2019 to date (April 2020) -- another month rounds the corner in a few days.

When I look at the .ofx file on my Mac, it appears to be a standard unix text file (with newline or linefeed line ends). As I recall, DOS and Windows apps can be pretty particular about what line ends they will allow due to limitations in windows-based stdio libraries. Do a hex dump on your .ofx before attempting to import the file and make sure your line ends are x'0d0a' <carriage return, linefeed>.

If your line ends are simply x'0a' <linefeed>, find some software that will transmogrify a unix file to windows standards and redump the file to insure you have line ends of x'0d0a'. After the file is in a windows palatable format, do the import of the ofx file.
  • Gasport
    Gasport Member ✭✭✭
    Not sure if this helps, but I can go into my Wallet - Apple Card and click on the card balance and download the transactions from August 19 when I first used the card until the latest statement. The option for QFX is there. I don't see any way that you can download the current months transactions like I can with other credit card companies nor set up the card for direct connect.
  • Dennis@1
    Dennis@1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    The option for QFX download on Apple Card showed up in the latest IOS update for iPhone. (13.4.1)
  • BrendaWiggins
    BrendaWiggins Member ✭✭
    Late last night I finally got the transaction files downloaded to my Laptop from Apple / Goodman Sachs. Very slow and some files would stall - that is a server this all had to process through was slow. Anyway, once I got the files I imported them one by one using Quicken's Import. All went fine. It is still deficient in the access and download speed and not being able to pull new transactions often rather than once a month with the statements are run and posted.

Maybe, Apple can use some clout to get a higher priority for out access and downloading with Goodman Sachs. I suppose that is the point of most contention in this speed issue.
  • vernea
    vernea Member ✭✭✭
    > @BrendaWiggins said:
    > Late last night I finally got the transaction files downloaded to my Laptop from Apple / Goodman Sachs. Very slow and some files would stall - that is a server this all had to process through was slow. Anyway, once I got the files I imported them one by one using Quicken's Import. All went fine. It is still deficient in the access and download speed and not being able to pull new transactions often rather than once a month with the statements are run and posted.
    >
    > Maybe, Apple can use some clout to get a higher priority for out access and downloading with Goodman Sachs. I suppose that is the point of most contention in this speed issue.

Not quite sure what speed issue you're talking about .. all steps seem to take place almost instantaneously here.

There is a slight delay when choosing export - maybe 1-2 seconds. Is that what you're talking about?

I suppose if you have a great many transactions that could slow things down.
  • vernea
    vernea Member ✭✭✭
    > @Dennis@1 said:
    > The option for QFX download on Apple Card showed up in the latest IOS update for iPhone. (13.4.1)

I used QFX instead of OFX for my last statement transfer and it worked just fine.
This discussion has been closed.