How do I remove the requirement to enter a password for one bank account.

Some time ago I changed a preference so that I have to enter the vault password to download transactions for a bank account. (Select bank account, select update now, must enter vault password) I would like to remove the necessity to enter the vault password every time I download transactions for that account. (This is specific to this one bank account - other accounts do not require I enter vault password.) Can't find this in the menu system. Help!

Best Answer

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have the financial institution's password stored in the Password Vault, Quicken will use it instead of asking you for the FI's password.
    So, do Tools->Password Vault->Add or Edit and remove the password for that account.
    The downside to not having the FI's password in the vault is that you will now be asked for it every time you do a One Step Update or an Update Now for that account.  I find it easier to have the passwords in the vault for all my FIs so that I only have to remember just the Password Vault's password versus all of the individual FI passwords.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Glamis
    Glamis Member ✭✭
    I have my password for that Bank in the Password Vault - but I have added a required password to update. I don't remember how I did that. :) I need to "un-do" the requirement for a password to update that one bank.
  • Glamis
    Glamis Member ✭✭
    My apologies - I understand now that my Capital One bank has a Express Web Connect+ and does not require the Password Vault, while my other bank only has a Web Connect and does require the Password Vault - which explains why Capital One doesn't trigger the Password Vault password request, and the other bank does trigger the Password Vault password request. I was assuming the Password Vault password request was specific to the one bank. Oooops.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you have that backwards.  Web Connect is where you manually login to the FI's website and do the download.  Quicken does NOT store the passwords for Web Connect accounts in the Password Vault since that authentication is made outside of Quicken by you using a browser.
    With Express Web Connect accounts, you decide whether to store the password in the Password Vault or enter it yourself everytime you do a download.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.