Cannot enter paycheck in version R26.21

I updated Quicken today to version R26.21 on my Windows 10 machine and now I can't hit the "enter" button on the paycheck dialog ( "Edit Current Paycheck and Enter into Register" ).

Based on suggestion solutions to similar problems I've tried:
1) Rebooting
2) Changing the menu style ( from classic to standard and back )
3) creating a new paycheck
None of these things have worked.
Thanks,
Kathy

Best Answer

• KathyRo
    KathyRo Member
    Answer ✓
    Ok I found the problem while I was making a "simple example" that I could take a snapshot of without revealing my personal financial details.
    In the "After Tax Deductions" section I added an "Other After-Tax Deduction" that was meant to go to an IRA account but instead of having the correct account designation it simply said [IRA] ( which is not defined anywhere ).
    So when you hit enter it doesn't know where to put that deduction.

It would be nice if Quicken could warn the user in this case.
    Thanks.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where did you find that "Edit Current Paycheck ..." dialog.  I couldn't find it in my Q R26.21.
    And, are you using a Scheduled Transaction for your paycheck?
    Lastly, in what specific way are things "not working".

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• KathyRo
    KathyRo Member
    Sorry I should have been more specific - it was late last night!
    I click on the "Enter" button and nothing happens - the dialog doesn't close and nothing is entered into the checkbook registry.
    Technically it's not a scheduled transaction -- it doesn't appear under that tab. However it is recurring.
    The first one was a long-standing paycheck I edited recently. Using the 'classic menus', I created a new one by navigating to Planning | Tax Center and clicked on "Add Paycheck". ( I can't find out to do that with the standard menus. )
    Once you've created the paycheck, there are many ways to bring it up. One way is to right-click over the item in the "Bill and Income Reminders" and select "Enter this reminder". The dialog will come up and if you click on the "Enter" button it should close and make the appropriate entry in the account registry you've attached it to. But it doesn't. :p
    I'd like to attach a picture but I can't figure out how to do that.
  • KathyRo
    KathyRo Member
    Answer ✓
    Ok I found the problem while I was making a "simple example" that I could take a snapshot of without revealing my personal financial details.
    In the "After Tax Deductions" section I added an "Other After-Tax Deduction" that was meant to go to an IRA account but instead of having the correct account designation it simply said [IRA] ( which is not defined anywhere ).
    So when you hit enter it doesn't know where to put that deduction.

It would be nice if Quicken could warn the user in this case.
    Thanks.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Enclosing an account name in square brackets (e.g., [IRA]) is the standard way anywhere in Q for transferring money between accounts.  In this case, from the account receiving your paycheck to the IRA account and thereby reducing the net amount of pay that you receive in, presumably, your checking account.
    And what do you mean by "[IRA] (which is not defined anywhere)"?  Are you trying to transfer money to an account that doesn't exist?
    Why is your paycheck not a "Scheduled Transaction"?  Even if it changes by a bit, doesn't it reoccur on some known schedule?  Setting it up  as a Scheduled Transaction saves quite a bit of work over time.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• KathyRo
    KathyRo Member
    Exactly : the account doesn't exist. I think what happened is I started typing that and didn't select the correct account name from the list so it was left with [IRA].
This discussion has been closed.