Quicken ID Sign-In Window Appears in Background when Entering Q Data File Password

Hello All,

This post is being opened as a continuation of - https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7870721/quicken-r25-xx-opens-with-background-logon-screen-still-appears-after-being-posted-as-resolved

Due to the extreme length of the previous post, it has been closed to better assist Users who are continuing to experience this behavior.

Our Product/Development Teams have been investigating this behavior, but so far have been unable to reproduce the issue in-house and suspect this may be caused by anti-virus/anti-malware software.

For Users who are continuing to experience this behavior, please add a comment to this thread providing the following information:
  • Windows OS Version
  • Quicken Product and Release Version (Help > About Quicken)
  • What anti-virus and/or anti-malware software do you use?
  • If the anti-virus/anti-malware software is temporarily paused or stopped, does the Quicken ID sign-in screen still appear in the background?
  • If the computer is booted into Safe Mode w/Networking, does the Quicken ID sign-in screen still appear in the background? 
  • If you haven't already, please "whitelist" the following files/folders in the anti-virus/anti-malware software:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken
C:\ProgramData\Quicken
C:\Users\*username\AppData\Roaming\Quicken

Once whitelisted, please try once again to open Quicken and let us know if the Quicken ID sign-in screen still appears in the background.

Thank you,

Sarah

Comments

• Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Will run another test after I do an image so I can back out the updates as Quicken Deluxe Release 24.14  Build 27.1.24.14 with Windows 10 PRO (64 bit),  Windows 10 1909 build 18363.653, Webroot 9.0.28.48 and Malware 4.1.0.56 work just fine- no problems until updating to 25.  So problem is in the 25 update.   Earlier I seen post they were aware of this problem and my contact with Quicken office said they knew of problem and was working on it. 

Wish you hadn't closed last thread as there was useful info from tests when I suggested starting without internet connection, you got different results which should help point to what goes wrong during handshake at startup.
  • Trini
    Trini Member ✭✭✭
    How can one check if a file/folder is already whitelisted in McAfee Total Protection?
    A comment: One morning recently I ran Quicken deluxe 2017 updated my data and closed it, no logon screen appeared anytime using 2017. A few hours later I updated from the paid 3 year 2017 subscription to the 1 year (same price as 3 year) 2020 subscription following all the directions given by Quicken and voila, got a logon screen that has persisted ever since. Using the same anti-virus software.
    I will try as time permits to help the Quicken product/development team by providing the above information. I am sorry they are not able to solve the problem. It appears to me to be with the 2020 1 year subscription product since it did not appear with the 3 year 2017 product, just in the space of a few hours.
    Thank you for the update and the information.
  • Don Bartenstein
    Don Bartenstein Member ✭✭✭✭
    Running Win10 Pro 64 2004 Build 19041.264 Quicken R26.23
    Using Malwarebytes and Windows Defender. Folder exclusions added to both.
    Still seeing the ID sign-in screen even with both virus blockers off. Like Divemaster I started seeing this after the 25 update was installed.
  • Don Bartenstein
    P.S. The Safe Mode test fails too...
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    As others have mentioned.... this all started around the same timeframe as R25.10 -
    Currently running Win10 - 1903 - MS Defender -
    Qwin R26.17 -
    NO other anti-virus - NO other added software - NO other changes that caused this
    NO Ransomware - NO Controlled Folder Access -
    Just tried with turning OFF all the MS Defender settings.... NO change -

What about the comments that this only happens to Quicken that was installed with a "retail activation key" vs the direct download from the Quicken website...

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• GLE81342
    GLE81342 Member ✭✭
    Tried all. Still getting the Quicken Welcome screen behind the Password Data.
  • Rich L
    Rich L Member ✭✭
    Same Here Tried all. Still getting the Quicken Welcome screen behind the Password Data.
  • leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    • Windows OS Version
    + Windows 10 Pro 10.0.18362 Build 18362
    • Quicken Product and Release Version (Help > About Quicken)
    + Deluxe 2020 R26.23 Build 27.1.26.3
    • What anti-virus and/or anti-malware software do you use?
    + Windows Defender
    • If the anti-virus/anti-malware software is temporarily paused or stopped, does the Quicken ID sign-in screen still appear in the background?
    + Real-time protection disabled.  Quicken still displays the problem screen.
    • If the computer is booted into Safe Mode w/Networking, does the Quicken ID sign-in screen still appear in the background?
    + Will need to report back on this when I can try it.
    • If you haven't already, please "whitelist" the following files/folders in the anti-virus/anti-malware software:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken
    C:\ProgramData\Quicken
    C:\Users\*username\AppData\Roaming\Quicken

+ Please explain why "whitelisting" for Windows Defender scan makes a difference if there is no change when Realtime protection is turned off and the problem still displays.

Is Quicken support recommending that I run Quicken without anti-virus protection?

Deluxe R53.32., Windows 10 Pro

• Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    I am using a retail version thus a "retail activation key" which works fine on Quicken Deluxe 24.14 with Webroot and Malware Premium, but not on Quicken 25 and beyond.   
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    leishirsute said:
    + Please explain why "whitelisting" for Windows Defender scan makes a difference if there is no change when Realtime protection is turned off and the problem still displays.
    YUP.... doesn't really matter if the entire protection software is turned OFF...
    Maybe for those that can't totally turn off their software.
    Anyway - as noted - still have the display problem with the MS Defender turned OFF, and even tried with it turned ON - but with the specific folders Excluded... NO CHANGE -
    Hard to believe that we all see this happening... and the Dev group can't re-produce it

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Rich L
    Rich L Member ✭✭
    I find it hard to believe "Product/Development Teams have been investigating this behavior, but so far have been unable to reproduce the issue in-house and suspect this may be caused by anti-virus/anti-malware software."

I spent almost 4 hours two separate times with tech support having me try everything including re-installing Windows 10 and re-installing Quicken 2020 4 times. They sent numerous log files each time to the Development team and as of today the issue still exists. I think Sarah is just giving us a canned answer just to appease us. You would think the Developers would know and deal with the majority of the anti=virus/anti malware software that is out there. Oh Well !!!!!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Note I'm just posting on this thread to see if I might help.  First off I don't normally use a password on my data file, but I put one on my data file to test, and had no problem.  I'm R26.21.

And that is something I think the people on this thread should keep in mind.  When you are having a problem like this you tend to believe EVERYONE has the problem, but that isn't the case.  And in fact you might in fact be in the minority.

Next when "strange things happen" that can't be readily explained the anti-virus software tends to get blamed.  Mostly because in fact it has caused a lot of strange problems in software in the past.  But as shown above that doesn't seem to be the cause in this case.  I use Windows Defender and I have not turned off or even changed any settings to exclude Quicken's data file.

Which brings me to my guess.  I scanned the old thread looking to see if anyone had suggested or tried this with a new data file.  Sorry if I missed it, but I didn't see it.  If you have not tried that please try it because my guess is that this problem might be data file related.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    P.S.  My subscription was activated by using a "retail activation key".
    Signature:
  • leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Chris_QPW, thank you for the feedback.  I don't want to have to start a new datafile (years of information),so I tried a transaction-based copy (essentially a reorg) of my current datafile to see if that makes a difference.  It didn't.  The login screen still displayed.

Then I created a test datafile without a password.  Once Quicken was directed to start by opening the test datafile, it would open it without showing the login screen.  However, once I added a password to the test datafile, the login screen would display upon trying to open the file.

At first, I thought the login screen would not display,but if I waited long enough (about 10 seconds), it eventually displayed.  I tend to not wait for the login screen to display, but type in my datafile password as soon as the password prompt popup displays. Often, the login screen doesn't even display if the password is entered promptly.

Deluxe R53.32., Windows 10 Pro

• Steve299@
    Steve299@ Member ✭✭
    I have two different data files. One very large and one quite small. The problem happens on both data files, on two different PCs. Tried all the "fixes" including reinstalling Windows 10 (for another reason). I'm beginning to think that the issues is a hidden "security feature" since, if you are not familiar with the problem, you will be put in an endless loop opening Quicken, seeing this phantom log in screen, following the on screen instructions and getting right back to the log in screen again telling you to download Quicken again. :smiley:

I'll put up with the annoyance until someone at Quicken fixes their software.
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited May 2020
    Longshot-  Has anyone tried restoring Windows firewall to its default state?  I'm one of the users not seeing this. Reviewing the posts, I see a lot of anti-virus talk but none related to firewall settings.

Longer shot-  restrictive router setting preventing a reply to some form of non-standard call to a Quicken server.

Adding-  FYI, Looked at logs to see what server contacts are made upon software launch for a working installation. Maybe compare to a non-working install; I should note I'm running a beta so,?-

Cloud Sync Log-
    <!-- ***** SEND to http://qcs-throttle-prod2.us-west-2.elasticbeanstalk.com/mayi/sync at 12:56:44 on 20200515 ***** -->
    Header:
    [Content-Type] : application/json

Content:

<!-- ***** RECV from http://qcs-throttle-prod2.us-west-2.elasticbeanstalk.com/mayi/sync at 12:56:44 on 20200515 ***** -->
    {"response":{"response":"yes","count":0,"interval":15,"message":""}}

Quicken Cloud Services Log-
    ################### Friday, May 15, 2020, 12:56:38 #####################
    INFO:QuickPay Idle Status changed from UNKNOWN to UNKNOWN.

---------------------------------------------------------------

################### Friday, May 15, 2020, 12:56:38 #####################
    INFO:QuickPay Idle Status changed from UNKNOWN to HANDLED.

################### Friday, May 15, 2020, 12:56:48 #####################
    INFO:QuickPay Idle Status changed from HANDLED to UNKNOWN.

################### Friday, May 15, 2020, 12:56:48 #####################
    INFO:QuickPay Idle Status changed from UNKNOWN to HANDLED.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for trying guys.  Just so you know I never intended for anyone to stop using their data file with all their information in it, it was just a troubleshooting idea to try to isolate the problem.  If it had been the data file then that might have given the developers more information on how to fix it.  Too bad it wasn't.

@Rich L You say that they had you reinstall Windows 10 was that a fresh install or was it an install where you kept all your programs and settings?
    Signature:
  • Don Bartenstein
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > Thanks for trying guys.  Just so you know I never intended for anyone to stop using their data file with all their information in it, it was just a troubleshooting idea to try to isolate the problem.  If it had been the data file then that might have given the developers more information on how to fix it.  Too bad it wasn't.
    > @Rich L You say that they had you reinstall Windows 10 was that a fresh install or was it an install where you kept all your programs and settings?

I tried creating a new, empty data file. With no password it goes right in and you don't see the Welcome screen. As soon as you add a password you get the screen. Something broken there where it wants to handshake with Quicken.com.
  • markus1957
    @Don Bartenstein - That behavior sure points to an installation or router/firewall issue rather than a data file problem.  Relatively small group of affected users too.

Wondering out loud if a QCleanUI with folder deletions prior to performing a Windows uninstall of Quicken to clear out old registry entries might be in order.  Unless of course someone who has a clean 100% fresh Windows re-install reports the problem still exists.

Then it would have to be the file.  In which case I would suggest a super-validate after removing the password, because it rebuilds the file header.  But a brand new file exhibiting the behavior almost rules out the file.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    To me the biggest problem for the user is that this all has to do with how Quicken does this authorization.  Clearly it caches information and such, and at times contacts Quicken servers.  But it is all hidden from the users of how it all works, so we have to hunt an peck at ideas of what it must be.  And in fact I believe that even the developers are in the same boat.  Not a clue of what is going on.  BTW @markus1957 your mentioning of the firewall is good idea because "anti-virus software" lots of times includes their own firewall with their own settings.  So it is at least something to look at.
    And the quickest way to test that theory is for someone with the problem to turn off their firewall.  To me we are clearly looking for something that is in fact not in Quicken.  It has to do with something special about these machines.
    Signature:
  • Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    One thing I know is that a super validate doesn't work, last time I tested I did a super validate with no errors and still had problem.  Why don't the developers look at the change log (if they have one) for the 25 update?  If that doesn't give a clue, look at differences of code when using data file password vs not.  Last resort put some debugging displays in a version and have someone step through this special version to see where things go wrong.

Trying with a new data file was a good idea, all I did was a super validate. 
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just tried turning ALL of the Microsoft Defender items OFF.... Virus + Firewall -
    no change...

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    TEST.... just started Quicken - received the usual double screen images - let it sit...
    Looked at the \log\ folder - there is an entry about Opening the QDF file -
    ---> C:\Users\[Owner]\AppData\Roaming\Quicken\Log
    and this was in  .... QW.LOG -

Fri May 15 14:54:10 2020
    Process id : 3324 Thread id : 5556 : Time 14:54:13 :  DbC PreconditionViolation 'pDB != 0 && resourceType < GetNumResourceTypes() && pResource != 0 && !IsResourceVariableSize(resourceType) && pRsrcSpec != 0' in QDBGetResource (qdb.c @ line # 1746.)
    Process id : 3324 Thread id : 9056 : Time 14:54:14 :  DbC PreconditionViolation 'pDB != 0 && resourceType < GetNumResourceTypes() && pResource != 0 && !IsResourceVariableSize(resourceType) && pRsrcSpec != 0' in QDBPutResource (qdb.c @ line # 1819.)

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• markus1957
    That is a pretty common entry in QW.log.

With respect to a clean Quicken install.  Neither Windows nor QCleanUI remove all files and folders associated with the Quicken installation.  The Quicken folder and a file remains in Programs(x86);also in User Roaming folder the Quicken sub-folder remains.
  • Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    Mine is a lot different than ps56k.

As I restored my old image I am on Quicken 24.14, and in QW.log I have nothing but:
    Fri May 15 16:38:27 2020
    Have a whole bunch of those for each time I used Quicken (with different date and time), same when waiting on file password to be entered and doesn't change after I enter file password. 

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I'm just another user with a password not having the issue.

I concur.  There is Quicken state preserved within the hidden \ProgramData\Quicken and users AppData\Roaming\Quicken folders that may need to be (re)moved after QcleanUI. 

Otherwise, my WAG (which I don''t see in this thread) is to reset the Quicken ID associated with the data file or, perhaps all the Internet Options TLS settings are not checked or SSL is checked.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I have similar issue as others - not always but annoyingly frequent. QWin 2020 Deluxe R26.21, Win 10 Pro v1909 18363.836
    I cannot comment on prior subscription versions since I recently upgraded from v2017 to v2020 subscription R26.21. Disabling Firewall, AV, AM, White-listing, etc. and "CLEAN Uninstall using the instructions plus cleaning Win registry" made no difference, nor did another router as someone suggested.

Also Installed on an older PC (for testing purposes only) that NEVER EVER had any Intuit or Quicken product on it, then created a brand new blank datafile and still experienced the issue:
    - Very infrequent without datafile password
    - Frequent with datafile password

My WAGs:
    - It appears that the authentication server is timing out, especially when waiting for the datafile password to be entered
    - There is something wrong with my QID as @Sherlock suggested, but if so it does not explain why for some users it started after a patch update
    - 9 out of 10 times I open the file to search for something, not update. So perhaps a future enhancement is to not authenticate the datafile upon opening, but rather upon invoking update/download and with some timer/counter - say every 7 days for example - which will reduce the load on their servers yet still catch expired licenses.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• William Ahlstrom
    William Ahlstrom Member ✭✭✭
    Windows OS Version: 1909; OS Build 18363.836
    Quicken Product and Release Version: Year 2020; Version R26.23; Build 27.1.26.23
    What anti-virus and/or anti-malware software do you use? Norton 360
    If the anti-virus/anti-malware software is temporarily paused or stopped, does the Quicken ID sign-in screen still appear in the background? Yes
    If the computer is booted into Safe Mode w/Networking, does the Quicken ID sign-in screen still appear in the background? Yes
    If you haven't already, please "whitelist" the following files/folders in the anti-virus/anti-malware software: White listing Quicken folders had no effect on sign-in background. Problem still there.

Problem started with updates after 27.1.24.14.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's another slight variation.... and test -
    Disconnect from the Internet - and start Quicken ..... it wants to contact the mothership.
    But, just enter Data File Password, and it goes directly to the Quicken file - no issues

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.