REINSTALLING MAC 2020 AFTER CRASH

tom29
tom29 Member ✭✭
My mac mini crashed and is now operational again. My ipad app continues to update, but the resinstall of the OS version does not. I have a good timemachine backup but can't find a QDF file on it and when I drag and drop from time meachine to the mini it opens as a new install even using my passwords. Any suggestions?

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    You should be looking for a .quickendata file; the default location, if you hadn't moved it, would be on your Library (in Finder, hold down Option and select Library) folder, in Application Support, in Quicken, in Documents. Navigate to there, then open Time Machine in that folder, and select the most recent data file to restore.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • tom29
    tom29 Member ✭✭
    I can find current files that Quicken created on the mini using your series of searches (for which thank you...) the timemachine backups however don't have a quicken directory. (see attached) Actually they seem to be missing a lot of directories relative to the current one. I could not restore the OS from the time machine, it seems to have had 'issues' as well (several calls to apple on this). However the ipad app has updated since the mini crashed, though I can't find any quicken files on it. Odd. It would be aggravating to start over from scratch, but not the end of the world, I just use Quicken to do monthly budgeting and have only 3 accounts; bank, vanguard and K plan. .
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    The iPad app is irrelevant to the issue. It (and the Quicken Cloud where the syncing between your Mac and the iPad takes place) does not contain a full version of your Quicken data, and there is no way to restore Quicken data from the app.

The key to recovering Quicken will be finding your backup data file. The screenshot you attached is not from Time Machine; I can't tell, but it looks like it may be your current Application Support folder. While you have that folder open, launch Time Machine ("Enter Time Machine" from the Time Machine menu on your top menu bar).  Your desktop will fade away, and you'll see only the Application Support folder, with a bunch of other Application Support folders behind it. On the right side is a timeline, with "Now" in red at the bottom. Scroll up on the right side a little to navigate back in time to a just date prior to your crash. When you stop on this previous date, you'll still be viewing the Application Support folder, but it will be as it was on this past date. Is there a Quicken folder in the Application Support folder now? If so, that's what you need to click on, followed by Restore.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • tom29
    tom29 Member ✭✭
    Thanks! I'll give this a try in the morning and report back. I really appreciate your help!
This discussion has been closed.