I have not chosen to extend membership. Can I continue to use he software I PURCHASED?

So, what right does Quicken have to place promos on all of my check register pages? I paid for the software I use and I did NOT give them permission to surreptitiously place promotional material on my financial pages with no way to remove it. I find this an outrage and an intrusion into my work and what I have paid for. I do not use their online systems--just the bank register accounting and thus membership with its fee does nothing for me.

Answers

• Lyle Wetherholt
    Lyle Wetherholt Member ✭✭
    Their push for membership renewal has been offensive. It suggests they are in financial trouble if they don't get everyone to renew. Their hubris is not consistent with good management practices!
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Actually, YOU gave them that permission ... when you agreed to the "End User License Agreement" when you installed you Q product.
    I know that you agreed to it, because otherwise Q would not have installed.
    And, FYI, you did NOT but Quicken.  You couldn't have afforded to buy "Quicken", because buying the entire company is the only way to "buy Quicken".
    What you bought was a license to run Quicken subject to the aforementioned EULA.
    Whether you can continue to use Q, in it's current state, depends upon which Q you purchased.  Starter Edition becomes Read-Only when the subscription expires.  The higher level product loose ALL download ability and Q Support but they'll still run ... except you'll have a "nag message" (perhaps you're already seeing that).

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, what right does Quicken have to place promos on all of my check register pages?
    What you PURCHASED was basically a license to USE the software. 
    What version are you running -.... Help --> About Quicken
    In most cases, you had the total usage of the software for 3 years,
    after which time, any and all online and downloading would be terminated. 
    Now, that 3 year period has been reduced to 1 year. 
    Along with the expiration of the agreed upon usage license, you now see the renewal banner...

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Lyle Wetherholt
    I don't believe your comment is correct. I purchased the CD a few years ago, before Quicken changed hands and before there was "membership." But, that aside I don't understand how they can invade my computer with their promo.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You haven't said what version/year you are running.  If you bought it before Intuit sold Quicken you probably upgraded to a newer version once by now.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I don't believe your comment is correct"
    Who are you addressing with this statement?
    AND, there has been a "subscription period" for Q for more than 10 years ... they just didn't call it a subscription and the period was 3+ years from when the product was released.  SO, if you bought QW2017 in late 2016 (first release) you had until 4/30/20 to use it.  IF you bought in late 2017, you still had until 4/30/20 AND if you bought in late 2018, you STILL had until 4/30/20.
    And once again, you agreed to your so-called "invasion" when you agreed to the EULA.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Lyle Wetherholt
    Version R25.21, however I have been using Quicken since 2001 and have never used any of their downloading functions. Thus usage of their servers for me is moot. Can't tell you how many versions I have used over the last 18 years and upgraded only when there were significant changes to fromat, etc. It strikes me that they must have little confidence in their company to be so aggressive about renewal.
This discussion has been closed.