When I update from my bank I seem to be missing part of the begining of the MEMO field.

I seem to be missing some info in the Quicken transactions memo field.

When I look at a transaction on the bank's website I get:

POS PURCHASE/EFT TRANS WM SUPERCENTER #ent MAPLE GROVE MN 288200

When I do a text download I get:

POS PURCHASE/EFT TRANS WM SUPERCENTER #ent MAPLE GROVE MN 288200

They look the same. When I look at the OFX file download I get:

POS PURCHASE/EFT TRANS WM SUPERC<MEMO>ENTER #ent MAPLE GROVE MN 288200

It places the <memo> tag in the wrong place. The info displayed in ther transaction is only what's after <memo>. Anyone have a suggestion?

I'm using the Quicken subscription service and at version R26.23, build 27.1.26.23

Best Answer

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    What is the connection type?

If it is Direct Connect, it is definitely the financial institution's doing.  And only they can fix it.

If it is Express Web Connect the it is possible to be either the financial institution's doing or something that the Intuit servers are doing (Quicken Inc pays Intuit for the Express Web Connect service) and you would have to contact Quicken Inc support so that they can report the problem and have which ever party is responsible fix it.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • dsieber
    dsieber Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply so quickly. The connection is Direct Connect.
    When I do a manual download of the bank's QFX and text file formats the info is correct. When I do a Quicken update of the account and look at the OFX log file it's wrong and it's displayed the same (wrong) in the transaction screen. Is Quicken downloading in a format I can't see manually? Is quicken (Intuit?) converting the bank's QFX to internal OFX incorrectly? Should I contact Quicken next? Again thanks for the help.
  • dsieber
    dsieber Member ✭✭
    Thanks I’ll contact the bank.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I counted correctly the POS ... SUPERC string is 32 characters. I consider it likely that the OFX specs limit the payee string to 32 characters. I have not checked that. If so, it seems likely the FI is passing on what they can as payee and the rest as memo. 

Perhaps a renaming rule would be to your benefit. 
  • dsieber
    dsieber Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply. I can't find any hard field lengths ih the OFX spec. It seems all fields are variable length seperated by HTML type tags. The constant 32 character length is suspicious though. My bank referred it to their provider, FIS I think, along with some logs. Apparently they have someone that specializes in Quicken. If I hear anything interesting I'll post it.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    q_lurker said:
    If I counted correctly the POS ... SUPERC string is 32 characters. I consider it likely that the OFX specs limit the payee string to 32 characters. I have not checked that. If so, it seems likely the FI is passing on what they can as payee and the rest as memo. 

Perhaps a renaming rule would be to your benefit. 

Great catch.  That is what it is going to be.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    dsieber said:
    Thanks for the reply. I can't find any hard field lengths ih the OFX spec. It seems all fields are variable length seperated by HTML type tags. The constant 32 character length is suspicious though. My bank referred it to their provider, FIS I think, along with some logs. Apparently they have someone that specializes in Quicken. If I hear anything interesting I'll post it.

In the OFX spec:

A-32 standards for 32 ASCII characters.

Edit:
    Actually make the 32 Alpha characters.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.