Quicken 2007 and BOA (Q Mac)

debbieg
debbieg Member ✭✭
I’ve successfully used mac2007 with boa for years. As of today. I am getting the 0l29 error when I try and download my accounts from BOA. I did get a few emails lately about Q2017 will stop working with. BOA downloads in April - but didn’t Expect it to impact my 2007. Any suggestions for remedy. I’ve tried orher programs over the years but really like q2007. And it’s always worked fine.

Answers

• JL
    JL Member ✭✭
    I am using Quicken 2007 for Mac without any problems until yesterday. Beginning yesterday I have been unable to download or connect to any of my financial institutions. I keep getting an OL-209 error message. Would appreciate any solution anyone might have.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Quicken 2007 has been discontinued for a long time, and all downloads to Quicken 2007 should have stopped a while ago, too. If you want to continue to use Quicken 2007, you should accept that you will have to enter all your transactions manually. (Some people do. Most people upgrade.) 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • debbieg
    debbieg Member ✭✭
    Thanks. I get that. But my downloads have worked perfectly.. until today. Tried q2017 but didn’t like it
  • jacobs
    Well, I'd say to be thankful that you were somehow getting downloads to Quicken 2007 this long. :) It shouldn't have been working in theory. I don't think there's any recourse for this failing now; if it was a glitch with BOA, perhaps it will come back; if it was going through Quicken, or if BOA intentionally made a change, it likely won't come back.
  • chilango
    chilango Member
    I have the same problem starting Tuesday May 19th 2020
    The bank suggested upgrading but I like the Quicken 2007
    Something was changed. why? I tried different accounts and different computers, didn't change the problem.
    "Unable to read a response. The response may not have been returned or there may have been inadequate disk space or a disk error when saving the reopen to a temporary file. [OL-209]"
  • K. Smith
    K. Smith Member ✭✭
    Same issue here. Looking at the ofxlog.txt files from last week to current, appears there is no response from "https://ofx-prod-brand.intuit.com/qm1600/fib.dll". There is another current thread reflecting a time out/no response issue with the same address. Also, the update dates in the current outgoing requests are shown as 19900101 ?
  • dwarren95
    dwarren95 Member ✭✭
    same OL-209 error trying to send payments in Quicken 2007 for Mac. Is this related to the mandatory upgrade due to loss of Billpay service? I understood the conversion was postponed due to COVID19 from 5/31/20 to 8/31/20.
  • K. Smith
    K. Smith Member ✭✭
    As shown in the ofxlog.txt files, anytime Q2007 is asked to due a direct connect to a FI, it first will connect to "ofx-prod-brand.intuit.com" server, verify info and download/upload data. Rinse & repeat for the the next FI data. As the OL-209 error code states, "Unable to read a response. The response may not have been returned or there may have been inadequate disk space or a disk error when saving the reopen to a temporary file". Its telling us there is no response from that server. Did the server blow up, payment not made or the plug pulled, who knows. What I am pretty sure is with out being able to connect with that server, there will be No direct uploads/downloads to the FI.

A concerning point is it's listed as an Intuit server, Not Quickens.
  • vdeal
    vdeal Member ✭✭
    It's May 22nd and this is still not fixed. I get the error when trying to pay bills using Quicken BillPay.
  • keenanmd
    keenanmd Member ✭✭
    Same issue in Quicken 2007 for Mac...
  • user60999
    user60999 Member ✭✭
    I'm also getting the OL-209 error in Quicken 2007 when I try to download from Citizens Bank (it started a week or two ago). Any suggestions welcome.

Why, you ask, am I still running Quicken 2007 ??? Because I tried Q2016 and later Q2017 but couldn't get them to work with Citizens Bank. I spent hours on the phone with both Quicken support and Citizens Bank Support (who told me at the time that many other Citizens customers have the same problem).

So if someone can confirm that the latest Quicken works with Citizens, I'll happily upgrade.
  • debra gorden
    debra gorden Member ✭✭
    Hi! I went ahead and purchased Q2020. Was pleased with the import from 2007 and it seems to serve my needs. I do minimal activity, mostly bill pay and monitoring. The connection is much simpler to the bank as well. Good luck!
  • vdeal
    vdeal Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Mine is Quicken 2007 for Mac also. This needs to be fixed. (Removed-Inaccurate)
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    See this article.  It think it makes it pretty clear that the functionality isn't coming back.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    BTW just be clear I'm just another Quicken user.

Also I'm also going to state the Quicken Mac 2007 users have had the luxury that no other users have every had because of the history of Quicken.

For 20 years or more it has always been the policy from Intuit and now Quicken Inc to "sell Quicken" and provide the user with downloading of transactions as a limited time service.  That time frame was about 3.5 years from the release before and now it the time frame of the subscription.  It costs a lot of money to maintain everything needed to download transactions from servers to support for the financial institution.  Quicken Inc pays Intuit for this service.

Because of the rewrite of Quicken Mac starting in 2007 and the failure of Quicken Essentials in 2010 to grab market share Intuit and now Quicken Inc have graciously done what they could to allow for Quicken 2007 to keep working.  But it clearly not in their best interest to spend time and money at this point just of have "faithful customers" that aren't providing them any income, and haven't provided them any income since 2007.  This certainly hasn't been the case for the Quicken Windows US and Quicken Windows Canadian users.

What business do you know that can provide free services and not get any income for over 13 years?

What's more this isn't fair the the people that are paying for the current Quicken Mac (and the Quicken Windows US and Quicken Windows Canadian) because any work that Quicken Inc pays for to get your downloading of transactions to work (if it is even possible at this point because of the security problems) would be paid by these users that have upgraded to the new Quicken.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jacobs
    Quicken had widely emailed Quicken 2007 users and made announcements on this site last fall that any remaining connectivity services for Quicken 2007 were going to be turned off in October, around the time Apple released macOS Catalina. I actually thought that had happened, but it's apparent from the comments here and in other threads that at least come connectivity services continued to function until this past week. Apparently, Intuit -- who ran the servers -- finally pulled the plug. My understanding from folks at Quicken is that Intuit had wanted to do this a long time earlier, and the Quicken folks convinced them to let it to continue to function until late 2019, which then for some reason extended as far as May 2020. 

In any case, anyone using Quicken 2007 should have known for the past few years that we were working on borrowed time. Quicken ended support for it a few years ago, it can't run on the latest macOS, and now connectivity services from Intuit are defunct. You can still continue to run Quicken 2007 if you're willing to enter your data manually and not upgrade your macOS. But download capabilities for Quicken 2007 are definitely not going to come back.

Your choice at this point is (a) keep using Quicken 2007 and enter your data manually, (b) upgrade to the current Quicken Mac, or (c) move to some other software if you feel something else would better fit your needs.
  • jon857
    jon857 Member ✭✭✭
    I two have crashed into the OL-209 error. Funny thing is that with Schwab, Direct Downloads, no data transfers but with Capital One Web Connect I get the error and the data. Maybe just lucky & from the thread it looks like we are going to have to resort to manual entry. Yes there have been announcements over the years but is it too much for Quicken to post the link was actually turned off instead of making users scramble to see what went wrong & how to resolve?

I run QM2007 in parallel with QM 2017. QM2017 is not bad for a beta product but not equivalent to QM2007. Oh yes QM2017 is marketed as a production edition but we all know the reality. Quite a shame as I have bought Quicken products for 20+years. There's always hope for equivalence with the WIN versions but the question is in what decade & why should MAC users have to pay the same as WIN users for a half a loaf? So now to continue downloaded transaction entry I will need to subscribe to another beta edition & put up with all of the deficiencies that don't exist in the last great version QM2007.
  • debbieg
    debbieg Member ✭✭
    Qm2020 is pretty good. I just replaced 2007. Had no choice. But I am a light user
  • jacobs
    jon857 said:
    So now to continue downloaded transaction entry I will need to subscribe to another beta edition & put up with all of the deficiencies that don't exist in the last great version QM2007.
    Glad to see you're keeping an open mind about what's been improved over the past three years since you last looked at Quicken Mac. ;)

For many users Quicken Mac is a suitable replacement for Quicken 2007. There are some things that are different, but not necessarily worse. And there are some things Quicken Mac can't do. It depends what features you use in Quicken whether you will be derailed by using it or find ways to make it work for you.
  • Michael Smith
    Michael Smith Member ✭✭
    I'm having the same issue. I use both Quicken 2007 and the current version. I do this because the current version does not support investment tracking/performance very well. For everyday tracking the current version works great. Guess I'll be manually entering transactions into Quicken 2007 until the current version improves its investment capabilities.
  • user60999
    user60999 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    (Removed-Off-Topic/Rant)
  • hulagirl44
    hulagirl44 Member
    So I too received this error message. Through my bank, I got the error but still got the data. Though Chase, it did not work. However, I disabled the online connection in Quicken, downloaded the file from Chase, clicked the downloaded file, linked to the correct account in Quicken and was able to import the data. Hope this helps some of you out.
  • GilDawson
    GilDawson Member ✭✭
    Can you please tell me which version of Quicken I should buy to continue to use Quicken Bill Pay? For years until last week I used Quicken 2007and it worked fine. To which version should I change in order to keep my Quicken Bill Pay interface?

--Gil
  • jacobs
    @GilDawson  The first thing to know is that the old Quicken Bill Pay -- the service offered through Metavante -- is going away, no matter what version of Quicken you run. It was originally scheduled to end on May 31, but was extended to August 31 due to the coronavirus mess.

Quicken has debuted its new bill payment service, which they confusingly call Quicken Bill Manager, because it consists of two services: Quick Pay, for electronic payments, and Check Pay, for bills that must be paid by sending a check.

Quicken Bill Manager is available to users of Quicken Premier. For Mac users, this is the primary difference between Quicken Deluxe and Quicken Premier, which at full retail price is a $25 annual difference. 
  • chilango
    chilango Member
    It is obvious that the banks have changed something so Q 2007 won't connect. I wouldn't mind paying annual money to keep it going. Quicken should upgrade Q 2007 to Quicken 2007A with a annual fee.
  • jacobs
    @chilango Quicken has made it abundantly clear that Quicken 2007 will not be coming back. They have invested the last 7 years in building a new generation Quicken Mac, and while it has its ups and downs, Quicken Mac is the present and future.

Quicken 2007 uses a very old code base, can't run on the current macOS, has stability and security concerns, and they are not going to go back to update code to work with new bill payment systems in the old program. For those who still use Quicken 2007, if it works for you doing purely manual data entry, you can keep using it; if you want bill payment and other online services, you're going to need to replace it with the newer Quicken Mac. 
  • chilango
    chilango Member
    It is the format that I like. You get used to a good system and you want to keep going. I use it for business and personal.
  • jacobs
    @chilango  I understand that! ;)  I think many… most… of us who moved from Quicken 2007 had reservations and problems initially. Some of it was just being used to doing things one way, and adapting to getting things done with a different interface or steps. Some of it was shortcomings in modern Quicken Mac which have been addressed as they continue developing the program year after year. And some of it are things that Quicken Mac still can't do, or can't do as easily, as Quicken 2007.

For each of us, because we use Quicken differently, there are different thresholds of what works well and what causes grief. But no matter what, there is no more life Quicken is going to breathe int to eh 2007 product. So you evaluate whether doing things with Quicken 2007, manually entering data, is better for you than making the leap to modern Quicken Mac and adapting to what it does differently and what it doesn't do. 
  • John Eidsvoog
    John Eidsvoog Member
    I am so stuck on using Quicken 2007 for Mac that I wrote an app to continue updating my credit card accounts. It takes CSV downloads (which all of my banks still offer), matches them up with categories I've previously used for payees, and saves a QIF file that can be imported into Quicken 2007.

I'm wondering how many users of Quicken 2007 there are left. There are maybe a dozen or so here. But are there hundreds, thousands? I'm not trying to make a lot of money here, but I'd sell it for about $5 to make it worth my while to write up some docs and debug it. It's not elegant and not as handy as what we're used to but it gets the job done with only a little more work.
  • danbearden
    danbearden Member
    AS a vintage (!!) Q2007 user, I HAVE bought multiple versions of Quicken over the years and have a current subscription to Q2020. However, it still stinks! Has anyone working there EVER used Q2007 or even looked at it? Do they even know what a 'checkbook' looks like or a paper ledger? :s If all Quicken.com is doing with their server is to do a little handshake, why can't that continue to persist? As I understand it, the institutions handle the hard work of providing the data that is uploaded. Surely that could continue to do that if the intermediate was there??
This discussion has been closed.