Brokerage acount

I download my Vanguard brokerage account into Quicken. I selected the option to create a cash banking account for my Vanguard cash. Now, the new cash account in Quicken is ALL uncleared transactions, and the cash account balance is zero. Question - How to clear ??? and get a correct updated balance?

Best Answer

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Hi @Tom,

Not sure why you selected the option to create a cash banking account for Vanguard, since - as you likely know - Vanguard sweeps all cash transactions into its federal money market mutual fund.  However, you can reverse the option you selected - and remove the new cash account as well as all of its transactions (i.e. ALL the uncleared transactions) by doing the following:

1) Open the Vanguard Discount Brokerage account;
    2) Click on the gear icon in the upper right hand corner;
    3) Select "Edit account details";
    4) For the "Show cash in a checking account" option, click "No";

This should reverse everything and remove the cash account (which is not needed).

Get back to me if you have any questions.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Tom14
    Tom14 Member ✭✭
    Thanks SO much. Allow me to try again. I have two brokerage accounts. When I download PNC Brokerage into Quicken., the navigation pane depicts my PNC Money Market Account. Pure cash, which is what I want to track daily. When I download Vanguard, the Navigation Pane depicts my entire brokerage account ( 6 figures). I can click on it and dig through to find my cash, but I would prefer for the navigation pane to just show my Vanguard Money Market account. The reason for all this is the fact that I set up views to consolidate several cash accounts. That's why I thought selecting the cash option for Vanguard might give me what I want. However the Vanguard cash account in the navigation pane has a zero balance and every transaction from Day One is an uncleared transaction. Thanks for your time.
  • Tom14
    Tom14 Member ✭✭
    Again, thanks so much. Now, I know my limitations. LOL. Fortunately, I have a workaround. My Vanguard account consists of only three securities (but, 3 large ones). I only get one quarterly dividend per month from the three. So, I can set up a dummy cash account, enter my reminders, and replicate my one transaction monthly in the dummy account. Then I can include the dummy account in with other views when I want to consolidate some balances. Thanks for your very professional support.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Tom,
    Thank you for your kind words!

Take care & stay safe.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

This discussion has been closed.