Budget does not include transactions from accounts created AFTER the budget was created (Q Mac)

2»

Answers

• sneave
    sneave Member
    same problem!
  • Chemist
    Chemist Member
    Same problem after creating new credit card account. Very frustrating as the budget tool is most important for me.
  • mStevens
    mStevens Member ✭✭
    Same problem with a new credit card account!
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Folks, there is no need to continue adding "me too" posts to this thread. It's been acknowledged as a bug by Quicken previously in this thread:
    This issue will be corrected in a future release, unfortunately, I am unable to provide an ETA at this time.

if you would like to be automatically notified as updates become available, please "bookmark" this post by clicking the yellow star icon in the upper right.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • drumsdb
    drumsdb Member ✭✭
    I actually disagree with jacobs. I am hoping that maybe seeing the high impact of this bug will get the Quicken team in gear to fix the bug. It's been almost 2 months without a patch.

However, in jacobs' defense, i do think it's important for people to read through the forums to see that the bug is reported and acknowledged.
  • jacobs
    @drumsdb  The developers don't read this forum (well, 99.8% of the time).  The site moderators can check Quicken's internal bug database to see if an issue is already logged, or enter one if it's new and confirmed. In this case, that's already happened.

I don't think a few, or a few dozen, people posting "it happened to me, too!" for an issue that's already known changes anything about how high a priority the developers deem it, the complexity involved in fixing it, whether this relates to other budget changes they say they are already working on, or how it fits into their plans for upcoming releases.

But I'm not the forum police, so if you want to post about something they have already acknowledged is scheduled to be fixed in a future release, have at it. ;) 
  • davew773
    davew773 Member
    Same issue here. Created a budget and added a credit card account afterwards. Transactions in this new account categorized with categories in my budget would not show up in the budget until I deleted the budget and recreated it. Also tried to duplicate the budget with no success. This is ridiculous. I've been a Quicken user for years and this is a seemingly simple, yet UNACCEPTABLE bug. Get it together, Quicken!
  • n8sabes
    n8sabes Member ✭✭
    @Quicken_Tyka,

Thank you for your latest reply, but it inspires little hope or trust in hearing “The issue will be corrected in a FUTURE release … Unable to provide an ETA." — What release? ANY target whatsoever (May, 2020 or December 2022)? Has it been passed over to Engineering? Has the Product Manager and/or Engineering Leads prioritized it?

As we are all living though one of the most financially stressful times in history, daily budgeting has become a necessity for many of us. If Quicken will not provide an ETA, can Leadership at least take the reins and demonstrate some resemblance of customer respect though *honest* empathetic transparent communication?

Here is an example of the type of communication I would value:

————————

Dear Quicken Users —

Thank you again for bringing this problem to our attention. This anomaly somehow sneaked though our QA Testing process and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience it is causing you.

We recognize many of you are even more dependent upon Quicken Budgeting at this time of CoVID-19 social distancing and/or even job loss. This problem has been reproduced, and Engineering has prioritized a fix for our next release, currently scheduled for _________. Because we too are all working from home, things are not moving as quickly as normal, but are confident we are on target.

Please Feel free to share any ideas or workarounds you may have to help other users in the interim. Thanks for your patience and I will keep you posted as information becomes available.

————————

I used Quicken Mobile for Budgeting and was my one essential tool. It has become a source of misinformation by underreporting actual outflow and therefore a source of confusion and frustration.

Thanks for listening, and thank you for your time moderating the forums. IF however you have any superpowers to influence the Quicken Team's transparency and caring for who pays their salaries, it would be greatly appreciated.
  • jacobs
    @n8sabes  I absolutely agree with you that Quicken's communications can often be better and more transparent. But… they're very, very rarely going to put a date (or even release number) out, because things can and do go wrong in the course of development and testing. If they say something is coming in the next release and list a date, the moment that release is late, people start to complain. You might say you'd understand, but people go ballistic over what they see as missed deadlines and commitments.

In some cases, when a bug like this gets reported, they can confirm it and commit to fixing it, as has happened with this one. But they may not initially know exactly how much work it will take to fix the problem until an engineer gets deep into the code. Sometimes, happily, fixes are pretty easy. Sometimes, things that seem easy turn out to require significant re-writing of code to fix without breaking other things.

Even once they've started that work, and can reasonably project how long it will take, and plan it it for the next release, things can and do go wrong. The programmer working on that project may get sick and work stalls for awhile. Another problem deemed more urgent results in the programmer working on the bug fix getting pulled off to help with the more urgent problem. Sometimes, the fix to one problem is tied to several changes being made at once in the code, and some other issue in the related group of changes requires them to pull the entire group of code changes from the next release to get completed. Sometimes, they make a change and run it through internal testing or customer beta testing, and it turns out that the problem hasn't been fixed right, or the fix has broken something else, and they need to go back to do more work, which may or may not make it into the next release. Sometimes the Quicken Mac team can finish a change, but it then requires a companion change in the mobile app, which is handled by a different development team, so the schedules can chang.

The point is: they can plan for a release and a date, but those things shift often. And publishing when some specific change is coming and then missing their date or release often makes customers more angry than if they haven't specified when the fix is coming.

That all said, I think it's likely we'll see a fix to this particular bug sooner (months), not later (years). ;)
  • n8sabes
    n8sabes Member ✭✭
    Hi @jacobs,

Thank you and indeed, I agree with much of your assessment on unknowns of the development cycle, broad range of platforms, languages, and team scale. However, it's a slippery slope to allow unknowns to provide non-timelines for product quality and delivery dates.

Like many users, I too would appreciate *any* insights into prioritization so I can make informed decisions. If fixing budgeting is a lower priority than a new fancy feature, great… I will create a manual budget spreadsheet right now. If it’s a TOP priority, I will wait.

In all practicality, Quicken / Intuit holds the Personal FinTech market captive and there is heightened responsibility here. I’ve come to learn over the last 20 years it is *never* middle management, the amazing hands-on people crafting lines of code, designs, UX, QA, nor marketing folks. Problems like this *always* start with the C-Level Leadership. In this case, it *seems* there is a massive disconnect or ill equipped people at the helm with a status quo mindset in perpetuity for decades now. This is the same old problem replayed, and user frustrations flare. It took Microsoft's board putting Satya Nadella in place after Gates. Elon after Ford to reinvigorate vehicle innovation. As Guy Kawasaki says, “Enchant” the customer.

What I wouldn’t do to have a crack at fixing the broader problem as I DESPERATELY WANT TO LOVE Quicken. I want to be excited about updates, not shutter with every release fearful I have to reconstruct my financial file or worse, reach out to Support for help.

Thanks again @jacobs for your reply as there is a lot of truth in your words. Enough on this spirited expression of a love / hate relationship with Quicken. Let's wait to see if/when we get the fix and to that end.

Immese thanks to everybody working on all of the Intuit product line. Despite frustrations, it’s still the best / only game in town.
  • dried007
    dried007 Member
    I have the same issue for a new credit card account that was just created. Hard to believe it took quicken so long to recreate this when so many have had the problem. Program not worth the price I pay. Will look at other options. I dont want to take the time to repenter my budget.
  • jacobs
    @n8sabes  I became involved here when the modern Quicken Mac was being prepared for release back in 2014, because like you, I wanted to see Quicken Mac succeed -- because I hope to keep using it for many more years. I've seen progress which is frustratingly slow at times -- but the forward progress is undeniable. And like you, I have often asked/wished here for the company management to be more open and transparent with its customers.

One thing: you refer to Intuit, but Quicken has been an independent company for the past four years since the company was sold off by Intuit. Quicken still contracts with Intuit to provide some of its connectivity services to financial institutions, but Quicken is its own company.
  • n8sabes
    n8sabes Member ✭✭
    @jacobs, Ahhhh yes, I do recall a spinoff now that you mention it. The leadership team appears to be Intuit grown for 30+ years top-down, thus the baked culture. The Board of Directors and PE Group (H.I.G. Capital?) must be good with the status quo. I wonder if any of the leadership team, Board, or PE folks truly use their own product. I'd love transparency on that! Despite it all, I agree with you and have to remind myself at times like this to remain grateful, even as the financial reporting output is wildly inaccurate. I feel so trapped, all to appease my CPA.

If I were on the board, I'd be asking for *honest* cohort data that makes you flinch (like every VC asks before an investment), including customer loyalty / love assessments, and feel a deep sense of concerned about ANYBODY asleep at the helm. Loyalties shift when you lease expect it. Quicken could be SO much more awesome and truly enchant the world with amazing products…. But that sometimes it takes fresh, hungry, and bold leadership.
  • n8sabes
    n8sabes Member ✭✭
    TEMPORARY WORKAROUND?

I’d like to contribute something more constructive into this thread with a possible temporary workaround I’m trying.

1. Create a new entry named “Temporary Entry [to be removed]” in the buggy account and category that negates the real entry.
    2. Create a new entry in an existing working account with the same name for the amount and category.
    3. Create any necessary temporary balance adjustments using the same idea.

This is horribly painful and must be repeated for all transactions on the buggy account, so it’s practical only if there are a handful of transactions. I suppose this could be done at a category level too. At least it gets the budget reporting to be accurate, if that’s what you care about. And, when a fix comes, search and delete all Temporary Entries.

Maybe this will work, maybe not, until Quicken releases a fix. If anybody has *any* other workaround ideas, please post them for discussion.

BTW - I tried to edit the typos in my last post, but the Forum itself gives a "format not found” error. There is an entire thread on this Forum bug somehow related to user points. Somewhat amusing and made me shake my head, again.
  • micsky
    micsky Member
    Hi,

I avoided commenting on this as I saw problem was identified, but seeing the lack of transparency bothered me.

Me too, I'm another user effected by this bug since last month (April 2020) - got a new replacement credit card and it won't show up in my budget ...and I'm not willing to recreated the entire years budget again.

As a developer myself, communication and transparency with the customers is key to success. Personally, I think it's important that everyone with this bug does comment on this issue. If the company truly cares about their customers, they SHOULD be paying attention to these forums ...and I would find it hard to believe they wouldn't care!?

These forums are a GOLD MINED for direct client feedback and are extremely valuable to helping build products clients actually want! Project Managers should never assume to know what the client wants, they should listen to the voice of the consumer.

In any case, Quicken should open and be more transparent ...even if they make a mistake and have to push the deadline out ...communicate shows they care and keep the customers coming back. Otherwise, this will just be another one of those tech companies that went under!
  • dried007
    dried007 Member
    Work around. I have tricked the program by moving the transactions that are downloaded to the new account into the old account. At least the expenses are in the budget report now. When Quicken gets around to fixing this bug I will move the expenses back to the new account. Somewhat of a pain since you have to continue to do this as new transactions are posted to the new account. I do it about once a week to keep my budget report accurate.
  • e_marauders
    e_marauders Member ✭✭
    I've never posted on the Quicken Community forum before (just lurk for information when I need it), but this issue compelled me to create an account and voice my concern. I hope the Quicken product managers do see that this issue is a 'bug' that affects core functionality of the application and should be prioritized as a crash ticket.
  • e_marauders
    e_marauders Member ✭✭
    I'd like to update my previous post to confirm that this issue has been fully resolved in update 5.16.0. Great job to the Quicken Team and thanks for listening to our feedback!
  • n8sabes
    n8sabes Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    ** FIXED in Version 5.16.0 **

MacOS Version 5.16.0 (May) Release Notes state: "Fixed an issue that prevented newly added accounts from appearing in budgets."

Thanks to the Mac team for ensuring this made it into the May release.
  • drumsdb
    drumsdb Member ✭✭
    I was really happy this got fixed. Then today I figured out they broke mortgage accounts again!

** Facepalm**
  • micsky
    micsky Member
    Yep, super glad to see the fix in ...no longer manually keeping track of entries! Cheers.
  • e_marauders
    e_marauders Member ✭✭
    > @drumsdb said:
    > I was really happy this got fixed. Then today I figured out they broke mortgage accounts again!
    >
    > ** Facepalm**

What was broken with mortgage accounts?
  • drumsdb
    drumsdb Member ✭✭
    Transactions downloaded from a mortgage account (Loan), do not post to the Quicken register. This had been a problem for a long time that was fixed around the first of the year and had been working ever since. I can see the transactions in the "Bank Transactions" section of the loan, but they don't post to the register. I reported it and walked through it with support and they confirmed the bug and took the logs.
  • drumsdb
    drumsdb Member ✭✭
    > @drumsdb said:
    > Transactions downloaded from a mortgage account (Loan), do not post to the Quicken register. This had been a problem for a long time that was fixed around the first of the year and had been working ever since. I can see the transactions in the "Bank Transactions" section of the loan, but they don't post to the register. I reported it and walked through it with support and they confirmed the bug and took the logs.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7875931/mortgage-account-transactions-not-posting-to-register#latest
This discussion has been closed.