How to resolve accounts being renamed to "N/A"?

A number of my accounts with 3 different major institutions have been renamed to "N/A". When this happened the first time a couple of weeks ago, I deleted the accounts with one institution and added new accounts in their place. That solved the problem temporarily. Now I have at least 10 accounts with 3 different institutions that show "N/A". How do I solve this issue permanently for the long-term?

Should I delete all of the accounts with the institutions and add them again (on one occasion it solved the problem temporarily)?
or
Should I restore to a previous quicken version ( I have the data files stored on google drive if that helps)
or
????

I am running R26.23 and 27.1.26.23 along with Windows 10 Pro.

Thanks in advance for your input/advice.

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Clarification please.  Is that account's NAME "N/A" ... or does the account have a VALUE of "N/A"?
    And, what type of accounts are these?
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • atwnsw
    atwnsw Member ✭✭
    Sorry for any confusion.

The accounts are being renamed "N/A".

One of the accounts is a checking account with a bank.
    Eight of the accounts are with 2 institutions (Vanguard and another major). Some are under my name and some under my wife's but all have been renamed to N/A.
  • atwnsw
    atwnsw Member ✭✭
    I forgot to add that I have been using quicken for 10+ years and never had this issue appear.
  • NotACPA
    OK, thanks for that info.
    It would appear that you've got a seriously, perhaps irreparably, damaged Q data file.
    SO, try this sequence.
    • Create a copy of your Q data file (FILE, File Operations, Copy). Then, using the copy
    • FILE, File Operations, Validate and Repair ... being SURE to check "Validate File" before you click OK
    There are other things to try if that doesn't fix the issue.
    BTW, the "N/A" as a Value happens in investment (ONLY) accounts when the downloaded units of any position doesn't match your records in Q.
  • atwnsw
    atwnsw Member ✭✭
    So, I copied the file and then validated & repaired the new file. There is a huge notepad txt file that was generated with the results. This was the first time that I had ever done it in 20 years so needless to say there were a lot of items (not sure what is normal size).

I then updated the quicken file to see if the account names would automatically populate from "N/A" to their old names but that didn't happen.

Next step/suggestions?

Thanks again.
  • NotACPA
    Using the same copied file,  this time hold down the CTRL key from the time you click "Validate and Repair" until you see the term "SuperValidating".
  • atwnsw
    atwnsw Member ✭✭
    I held the CTRL key down for the entire type that I selected "Validate and Repair" twice but never saw the term "SuperValidating". Hmmmm
  • atwnsw
    atwnsw Member ✭✭
    [Thu May 28 10:37:53 2020]

File: "C:\Users\antho\Google Drive\Quicken Temp\5_28 After Validation 5725 Bal\HouseholdCpy"

QDF:
    Validating your data.
    Fixed damaged category. Please check your category list by going to Tools>Category List.
    Fixed damaged category. Please check your category list by going to Tools>Category List.
    Quicken repaired N/A account. No action required.

QEL:
    No read errors.

QEL:
    All internal consistency checks passed.

[Thu May 28 10:38:56 2020]
    Quicken has found 1 stock split(s) for account "Ameritrade", security "Pareteum Corp", on 2/27/2017 that might be missing.
    No out-of-range security references found.

Validation has completed.
  • miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    As a general rule, when there is significant corruption that you have, you are better off restoring backups until you find one that has no damage before the corruption took place. 

Validate and super validate may get it usable but they may be deleting items you need when trying to do repairs, 

• atwnsw
    atwnsw Member ✭✭
    I restored to 5/18 when this first started and then validated/repaired. I did an update and my accounts still show so that is good news. Given the amoutn of time required, I haven't downloaded/accepted all the transactions for now.

What else should I do to make sure that there isn't any corruption?

Here is the messaging:

[Thu May 28 12:17:42 2020]

File: "C:\Users\antho\Google Drive\Quicken Temp\Household 5_18Cpy"

QDF:
    Validating your data.
    No errors.

QEL:
    No read errors.

QEL:
    All internal consistency checks passed.

[Thu May 28 12:19:27 2020]
    Quicken has found 1 stock split(s) for account "Ameritrade", security "Pareteum Corp", on 2/27/2017 that might be missing.
    No out-of-range security references found.

Validation has completed.
This discussion has been closed.