How do I duplicate an account

I'm using Mac OS 10.15.5 and quicken starter 2020 5.15.5. For reasons I'll skip at this time, I would like to either copy/paste transactions from one account to another or simply duplicate an account. If I drag and drop, the transactions from the originating account are gone. I've tried to use the edit function but the copy command does not 'highlight' thus use is prevented. Any help would be appreciated.

Mike88

Comments

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    You cannot duplicate accounts, so the behavior you are seeing regarding moving transactions is expected.

The only thing I can think of that would work is the follows:

1. Make a backup of your data file so you have something to resort to if needed.
    2. Create a new, blank destination account you wish to move copied transactions into. Don't set it up for online access at this time-set it up as Manual via the Options button.
    3. Go into the source account you wish to copy the transactions from
    4. Choose to show the Date Entered column
    5. Select all the transactions, and hit command D to duplicate them. You should see double of all transactions (except for any transfers-you will get a warning if you have any)
    6. Sort by the Date Entered Column, as all your duplicates will have a Date Entered as the date you did this (i.e. Today)
    7. Once grouped together, you can drag all those duplicated transactions to your new account.
    You can return the source account to a regular Date sort order, and hide the Date Entered column. This will create a duplicate of transactions except for any transfers.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Another possible workaround

1. Make a backup of your file for safe keeping
    2. Make a copy of your data file
    3. In the copy, delete all but the account you want to duplicate
    4. Export this one-account file as a Windows Transfer File
    5. Open your original data file
    6. Import the Windows Transfer File
    7. You should now have a duplicate of the account
    Disclaimer: I have not tried this myself.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
This discussion has been closed.