Canadian mortgage amortization (6 Legacy Votes)

How about adding Canadian mortgage amortization functionality to Quicken for Mac 2018! We had it for Quicken for Mac 2007. Now over 10 years ago! Really?
Tagged:
18 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Can you explain how a Canadian mortgage differs from a US mortgage?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    Mostly in term of duration I believe. 2, 3, and 5 year terms are common in Canada but payments are amortized over 25 years (mostly, but can be as long as 30 years). The result is the mortgage needs to be refinanced at the end of term at a then prevailing interest rate. Unlike a US mortgage that might match term and amortization proving more certainty of payments and principal balances from time to time.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I believe there is also a difference in the way interest is calculated, e.g. compounded vs not, or periods used for compounding.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    Not certain about in the US but in Canada mortgage interest is calculated semi-annually. So one must calculate an effective rate of interest that matches the payment frequency. This was all done (calculated automatically) in Quicken for Mac 2007. It would be great if this was programmed in to Quicken for Mac 2018. Please!
  • Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    Hello All,

This Idea seems to have fallen stagnant and due to the age of the request and lack of User Votes/Comments, it will be archived within the next 7 business days.

If you would like to see this Idea kept alive and considered for possible future implementation in Quicken, be sure to add your vote and a comment explaining how this Idea would be beneficial for you.

More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    This is absolutely needed. Because this is a request for a Canadian specific feature you should not expect a lot of votes to show up BUT this is about accurate calculation. It was available in QM2007 and earlier. It should be re-implemented. We Canadians need accurate mortgage calculations too, regardless of the number of votes. This affects ALL Canadian users that record mortgages in QMac.

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• TommyFM
    TommyFM Member ✭✭
    I can't believe this doesn't exist already. It's basic functionality. If you're going to market a Canadian financial product, it absolutely should reflect Canadian standards. To say that more "votes" are required before core functionality is even considered for introduction into a product is ridiculous.

This is a significant flaw in the product, not merely a suggestion for potential improvement.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll add my 2cents (US) ...
    I think it would be a helpful addition to our Canadian customers' Quicken versions, both Mac and Windows, if the Loan Wizard would correctly support the specifics of a Canadian mortgage.

Everyone, including the person who initiated this discussion …
    If you would like to see this enhancement made in a future version of Quicken please don't forget to vote on it. Locate the big blue box near the top of this webpage (or page 1 for long discussions) and click the "Up" triangle under the voting count.
    Wait a moment for the vote count to be registered and updated before you continue.
    The little triangle changes from grey to black when you have registered your vote.
    Adding extra comments helps, but does not automatically increment the vote count.

• Quicken is sold in Canada and I would expect that it's Canadian version contains the features matching the Canadian market. Selling the US version just rebranded is wrong. The mortgage issue is just one. To this date Canadian version doesn't support multi currency that is very common for Canadian users. Charging the full value and labeling basic functionalities as the "ideas" for enhancement is wrong.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meanwhile, be sure to add your vote above if you have not already.

• rbeaulne
    rbeaulne Member
    I purchase this software to do all of my banking. I just renewed my mortgage and noticed that Quicken doesn't calculate or even offer the option for accelerated payments.
    Canadians should be getting this software at a discounted prices as we cannot do the same as our US neighbors.
    How many other features are not accurate for Canadians?
    Please have this issue moved back up to get looked at and fixed.
  • Shawnsky
    Shawnsky Member
    A year later... hey, I am looking at least for a work around for the mortgage issue (just was able to secure one. Yea!) until it is fixed for Canadian mortgages.
  • There are plenty of us down here in the US who also have Canadian mortgages we’d like to track. Please reconsider making this available to us.
  • Kumar H
    Kumar H Member ✭✭
    Why is there still no solution for Canadian mortgages for Quicken for MAC?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kumar H said:
    Why is there still no solution for Canadian mortgages for Quicken for MAC?

We're other users ... and have no info that would allow us to answer "Why" type questions.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Kumar H I'm still not clear on what specific functionality is required for Canadian mortgages. However, I think manually managing a mortgage in Quicken is, while not ideal, not too difficult. Assuming you get an amortization schedule from your bank, or can generate on from a website for calculating Canadian montage amortization, print out the schedule. 

in Quicken, create a liability account for your loan, with the opening balance being the loan amount or current balance. In your checking account, enter a transaction for your monthly payment, with split lines for interest expense and a transfer to the liability account (the principal payment amount). Click on this transaction and create it as a scheduled monthly transaction. Each month, you'll click on the next scheduled (gray) transaction in your register and click "Paid". Each month, or every few months, double click on each loan payment transaction in your register and edit the split amount per the amortization schedule. Yes, this takes a few seconds per month rather than having Quicken calculate the correct value for you automatically — but in about 5 minutes per year, you're tracking your interest payments and outstanding loan balance in Quicken. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993