Home Before you Buy

Once you purchase Quicken and find you don't like it, can you revert to your 'old' version.

MaryAnnMaryAnn Member
I have purchased to newest version of Quicken and prefer my older version of Quicken. I only use Quicken for keeping track of our monthly household bills - no downloads, no investments to track, just household bills. Is it possible to revert to my older version and how is this done?

Answers

• thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @"MaryAnn" ,

Which year is your Previous version of Quicken? Do you do Manual Backups of Quicken off of the computer?

See this:  https://www.quicken.com/support/Terms-and-Conditions-For-Exchanging-Returning-or-Refunding-Quicken-Products

And:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7844658/installing-reinstalling-windows-quicken-subscription-editions

Stop before you reinstall and use the Installer from your old version.
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R27.42 & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.5
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 20175.1000

Information: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7871028/quicken-bill-pay-discontinues-on-5-31-20-introducing-quicken-bill-manager

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

• ZoolookZoolook Member ✭✭✭
    If you had a backup of your older version file before upgrading, you should be able to revert back using that file.

I don't have access to it, but I understand the latest patch of the 2017 Quicken will nag you to upgrade on launch but should still function (just without downloads).

I can still see Quicken 2017 on my Accounts page available to download (right at the bottom).
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Quicken 2016 and 2017 can both read the Quicken Subscription data file.
    So to revert back to one of these is nothing more than uninstalling Quicken Subscription and installing one of these.

But if your old version of Quicken is older than Quicken 2016 it can't read the Quicken Subscription data file and you would have to restore to a data file that was created before you changed to Quicken Subscription and re-download/enter any transactions that were put in past that point.
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
  • MaryAnnMaryAnn Member
    My Quicken version is older than 2016 but I don't know the version number. Do I have to delete the newest version of Quicken before I do anything else?

As for back-up I have a disc back-up from last year. And since there a a mishap with my old computer I had Micro Center copy whatever they could and these files are on the new computer in a folder MC Backup with files titled QDF-Backup File. Do I have everything I need to restore my old data?

If I do, where can I find instructions for deleting the new Quicken software and restoring my old data? And which file should I use?

Thank you for the information you sent me, it gave me hope that the old version can be restored.

Mary Ann
  • Taylor SmithTaylor Smith Member ✭✭
    I came across this thread which is somewhat timely.

I have long installed my older 2016 version of Quicken Canada.

However, my issue is I need to access my data. My data was not saved in .csv format. I do have a file saved as a QIF which seems small at over 1 MB in size. My data stems back to the year 2000.

How can I retrieve this data? Can Quicken support help me or provide me a download of the older version so I can convert to either Excel or CSV?
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your Quicken data file should have a .QDF extension of a backup file would be .QDF-Backup.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    MaryAnn  Sounds like you don't have the old program anymore?  CD or ?  If you think it was older than 2013 you can download 2013 for free and open your backup data file.  

Use this link to get Q2013, use the section ..... If you are converting from Quicken 2004 through 2009

• thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    MaryAnn said:
    My Quicken version is older than 2016 but I don't know the version number. Do I have to delete the newest version of Quicken before I do anything else?

As for back-up I have a disc back-up from last year. And since there a a mishap with my old computer I had Micro Center copy whatever they could and these files are on the new computer in a folder MC Backup with files titled QDF-Backup File. Do I have everything I need to restore my old data?

If I do, where can I find instructions for deleting the new Quicken software and restoring my old data? And which file should I use?

Thank you for the information you sent me, it gave me hope that the old version can be restored.

Mary Ann

Open Quicken. Click File > Click Backup and Restore > Restore from Backup File >
    Dot Restore from your backup
    Click Browse.
    Next Browse to the folder where the Backups are stored. Select one and click Open. Click Restore Backup.
    Dot Create a Copy and don't overwrite.
    Once you find the correct file, use File Explorer and delete the other restored files.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R27.42 & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.5
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 20175.1000

Information: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7871028/quicken-bill-pay-discontinues-on-5-31-20-introducing-quicken-bill-manager

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

• smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why does EVERYONE ASSUME this is a Quicken WINDOWS question? Ok, by now it is clear the OP has Windows, though it was NEVER stated.

For anyone else reading these answers, NONE of these apply to the MAC version!
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen
    ? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian Q user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    smayer97 said:
    Why does EVERYONE ASSUME this is a Quicken WINDOWS question? Ok, by now it is clear the OP has Windows, though it was NEVER stated.

In her reply of June 6, @MaryAnn states "QDF-backup" ... which makes this a QWin thread.
    SO, there is NO assumption about the operating system from that point forward.

Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    smayer97 said:

(I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    NotACPA said:
    smayer97 said:

In her reply of June 6, @MaryAnn states "QDF-backup" ... which makes this a QWin thread.
    SO, there is NO assumption about the operating system from that point forward.

That was AFTER several replies that were Windows based, so YES, assumption.

@Chris_QPW I'm glad you checked. Did anyone else BEFORE answering?
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen
    ? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian Q user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

This discussion has been closed.