What could have caused my data file to jump from less than 200 MB to over 6GB? (Q Mac)

Options
My Quicken 2015 for Mac data file contains approximately 12 years of data entry for various financial accounts. There are no attachments or images included in my data file as verified by looking at the package contents. How I came to realize the data file was so large was when a recent backup file was copied to a back-up hard drive and it took several minutes. It was then that I realized the data (and back-up) file was in excess of 6 GB. Is this normal?

Best Answer

Answers

• Unknown
    Options
    What I did that greatly reduced the data file size was to make a copy of the data file, open the package contents, then delete all past data files except the primary file named "Data". I opened the file in Quicken to verify all data was intact. Everything seems to be present and the file size is now less than 20 MB. I saved the previous file just in case I encounter issues later.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    I recall that there was an issue with Quicken retaining old versions back in Quicken 2015 after each update for security, but I wouldn't have thought you'd have gone through enough updates for your file to get that big. If it's any consolation, they changed this somewhere along the way, so if you ever upgrade, you won't see this recurring. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Options
    Jacobs, thank you for the feed-back. I’ll be honest...although I do like the features and ease of use with Quicken, I don’t use the online features(financial institution downloads, etc.). And since I paid for the software, it irritates me that several times a year I have to endure Quicken’s unwanted pop-up advertisements to purchase an upgrade. I can’t turn them off and I’ve asked Quicken how to make them stop only to be told they are automatic and part of the software. I’m looking to replace the software with something else...
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @jkhenderson  I also don't use the online features. For me, the improvements in the software make it worth the annual price. I found Quicken 2015 not really usable for my needs, but Quicken 2020 has improved in many, many areas. If you find something that meets all your needs for less expense, then go for it. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.