I have multiple student loans in my Quicken.

I have multiple student loans through Navient (originaly Sallie Mae loans). I have paid off a loan recently. When I downloaded transactions from them today, I just happen to look into the paid off loan with the Payment Details box selected and it showed a typical checking type register. Now the loans that are still active, when the 'Payment Details' is selected it displays a Payoff Date and a circular graph representation of Principal/Interest. Now when I select 'View Payment Schedule', I see a pop-up box where I can select 'Show Running Balance' It will then show me more of a transaction display, but when that box is closed you do not have that detail.
Tagged:

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loans, which you've set up for download, don't have "registers".  That's the price you pay for being able to download into them.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Mark S. Gilliland
    Mark S. Gilliland Member ✭✭
    I have been using Quicken since at least Windows 3.
    I am sorry I guess I was not clear about what I was looking for. The first screen grab is what I would like. (image.png below)

The second is what I see on the loans that are still active. They were all setup at the same time. Well I tried to load the second screen grab, but when I tried to, the message file already uploaded appears. The image I was trying to load was only a graph type item and not a register type item. It is extremely weird that the active loans are displayed one way and the paid off loan appears in another format. All of the loans were updated the same way by downloading figures from the lender. The loan that was recently paid off, displayed the same graphical representation before it was paid off and only changed after. None of the loans ever showed a method for manual payment entry.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you downloading into ANY of these loans?
    There IS NO register for a loan that downloads ... only the graphics.
    And, you didn't attach the 2nd graphic.

• Mark S. Gilliland
    Mark S. Gilliland Member ✭✭
    I started with at least seven loans, that were all updated monthly by download from Navient, including the one that is paid off and shown in the previous download. I downloaded the other image below. I saw your comment above, why then does a paid off loan then appear with a register afterwards. I will say it again just so it is clear. I set up all of the loans to track them monthly, they were setup at the same time and in the same manner and fashion. It just seems absurd that the Quicken program decides to change the display format from when it is an active loan to a completely paid off loan. I took programming classes in the past, never did any real world programming, but that is the only thing that makes sense to me is they are treated differently.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    That graphic is ALL that you get with a downloadable loan.  You also, with downloading, lose ALL ability to otherwise manage the loan ... because there's no  register.
    Your paid off loan is no longer downloadable, thus doesn't fall under the restriction.

• Brian Biggs
    Brian Biggs Member ✭✭✭✭
    When you have a downloadable loan, should payments you make to that loan be transfers to the loan account, or should they just be some category? I have a couple of student loans I'm tracking for my kids, and it looks like a payment to the account lowers the balance more than what shows in their online account.

Also, if payments are made prior to the actual payback period, lowering the principal, will that be reflected in the downloaded data from the bank?

Quicken Deluxe, Version R49.29, Build 27.1.49.29
    Windows 10 Version 22H2 (OS Build 19045.2965)

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The BEST answer is to make it a manual loan. 

This discussion has been closed.