Paycheck showing '0' monthly average in Budget tool

Options
I have two paychecks set up in Quicken, and am trying to incorporate them into my Budget. I have both paychecks listed in the "Income" side of the Budget Tool, but when I click the monthly average icon on the right side, it is showing both paychecks with a '0' monthly average. This is obviously wrong, since this same monthly average window shows the actual deposits.

I'm not sure what the issue is here. I've tried deleting/re-creating the paychecks in Quicken, and that hasn't worked. Anyone else have this issue before?

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Quicken is only calculating the average for categories.  Paychecks and Loans are not categories.
  • KnnNike
    KnnNike Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Ok, but how can I handle these figures, then? Quicken gives me the option to include my paychecks when budgeting. And when I click the monthly average icon next to each budget, I see the correct "Net Pay" values for each month (via the green bars), even though Quicken reports the "Monthly Average" as 0.

If I open one of my paychecks, I see that the actual deposited pay is listed as "Net Pay". However, Quicken appears to categorize this different than "Net Salary", because if I add the "Net Salary" category to the Budget it always shows 0.

I'm really confused as to why Quicken would let you add your paycheck directly to the budget, but then not give you a way to figure out the average monthly paycheck amount.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    KnnNike said:
    Ok, but how can I handle these figures, then? Quicken gives me the option to include my paychecks when budgeting. And when I click the monthly average icon next to each budget, I see the correct "Net Pay" values for each month (via the green bars), even though Quicken reports the "Monthly Average" as 0.

If I open one of my paychecks, I see that the actual deposited pay is listed as "Net Pay". However, Quicken appears to categorize this different than "Net Salary", because if I add the "Net Salary" category to the Budget it always shows 0.

I'm really confused as to why Quicken would let you add your paycheck directly to the budget, but then not give you a way to figure out the average monthly paycheck amount.
    Consider it a bug.  If we want averages in the view, we need to budget the categories and transfers explicitly.  
  • KnnNike
    KnnNike Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm not sure how I can be more clear about this. I cannot budget my 'Net Salary' directly using the budget tool, because I don't use the 'Net Salary' category in Quicken...instead, I use the paycheck feature. As I'm sure you're aware, this paycheck tool calls the amount from your paycheck actually deposited in the bank as 'Net Pay', but there doesn't appear to be any way to calculate the monthly average for this amount in the budget.

The budget tool clearly sees this Net Pay value...if I click the Monthly Average icon to the right of each paycheck in Budget, the little green bars show the correct values. But the actual "Monthly Average" number right above these little green bars is always 0.

I don't think this is a feature; I believe it is a bug.
  • KnnNike
    KnnNike Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options

This is what I'm seeing for my paycheck. The little green bars are there. The red line is there. But 'Monthly Average' is 0. And unlike other categories, if I hover over one of the green bars or red line, no number appears.

This is clearly a bug, not a 'feature'.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you have associated a unique payee for your paychecks, you may obtain the average for a payee for the past year using the mini-report available in a non-investment register: right-click on the payee field of the transaction and select Launch Mini-Report for...  
  • KnnNike
    KnnNike Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Sherlock said:
    If you have associated a unique payee for your paychecks, you may obtain the average for a payee for the past year using the mini-report available in a non-investment register: right-click on the payee field of the transaction and select Launch Mini-Report for...  
    Ok, so that's a workaround. So it definitely sounds like there's a bug here.
This discussion has been closed.