"Lastname Checking.quicken was deleted." and "The file "data" could not be opened."

Options
Once a day I get the first message that a checking account file was deleted. When I click "okay" the next message appears and keeps appearing. I can't do any work in Quicken until I force quit. I'm using the newest subscription version for mac. This happened in my old version so I thought upgrading would solve it, but no. It appears no files are deleted, yet I get this message somewhat randomly. How do I fix this?

Best Answers

• ladyz1015
    ladyz1015 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Turns out my data file was in the wrong place. I had it in my Documents folder which is now in iCloud. Quicken looks for it in the Library folder, so it thinks it has been deleted and can't find it. When I moved it to where it was supposed to be, it seems to be fine.

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @ladyz1015  Do you get this message immediately when you launch Quicken?

It might help for you to launch Quicken without opening your data file: Hold down Shift while launching the application, and when it asks if you want to open your normal data file, click Cancel. That will bring you to the Let's Get Started screen, where you can try some different scenarios. Click the gray Open Quicken File button and navigate to your current data file; when it opens, do you immediately get the same message? If so, make a copy of a recent backup file and repeat the process navigating to the copy of the backup. Do you get the same result? If so, do you have an older backup -- perhaps a month or many months old -- that you can try this on, to see if any of them work without the message?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • ladyz1015
    ladyz1015 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Turns out my data file was in the wrong place. I had it in my Documents folder which is now in iCloud. Quicken looks for it in the Library folder, so it thinks it has been deleted and can't find it. When I moved it to where it was supposed to be, it seems to be fine.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Glad to hear!  Take care.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

This discussion has been closed.