Security Type---

Options
Gary R
Gary R Member ✭✭✭
How would you classify an ETF? Would you put it under mutual funds or Stocks in the Security Type.

Best Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    ETFs are more like stocks than mutual funds, since the price varies during each day's trading session. I buy and sell them using limit orders, which you can't do with mutual funds.
    I created some new Security Types for Bond ETF and Stock ETF. Quicken doesn't care. The advantage to not using the Stock security type is that I can set or download the asset mixtures.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

Answers

• Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Appreciate your prompt reply. Actually, Quicken treated them under OTHER in the Security window. They were also showing up Other in the Asset allocation report.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    ETFs are more like stocks than mutual funds, since the price varies during each day's trading session. I buy and sell them using limit orders, which you can't do with mutual funds.
    I created some new Security Types for Bond ETF and Stock ETF. Quicken doesn't care. The advantage to not using the Stock security type is that I can set or download the asset mixtures.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    OMG
    I didn't realize that we can set up out own security types. I just added ETF's and works perfectly. It didn't even change any of the asset mix which is good.
    Thank you so much-----
  • Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Just wanted to say that you guys are awesome and provide a great resource. You just made my life so much easier with your replies. I can't thank you enough.
This discussion has been closed.