unknown error in opening data file

Options
I just ran the newest Win 10 update, I cannot open my Quicken and get a "unknown error in opening data file" Thanks in advance

Best Answer

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thank you Gentlemen for all your help. It turned out that with the update to the new windows 10 this week it pulled up my Quicken 2017 account NOT the Quicken Premier I have been using so it would not recognize the file differences. Working MUCH better now! Thanks again!

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Unknown
    Options
    I'm not very computer literate! Controlled folder access was turned off and I turned it on and tried Quicken again and got the same message. I did have trouble with the One Drive also but I think I fixed that. If removing One Drive will fix Quicken I'm fine with that. I don't use Google back up or Drop box
  • Unknown
    Options
    I also get a "One Drive cannot connect to windows" Message
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Options
    Have you tried restarting your computer? Controlled Folder Access should be disabled or Quicken allowed. What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file?
  • Unknown
    Options
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Quicken, Controlled Folder Access was off so I left it off. Yes I have restarted computer twice
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options
    The One Drive Cannot Connect to Windows is likely your problem.  If OneDrive is active, by default the Quicken data file would be under the control of OneDrive.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Options
    Jack said:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Quicken, Controlled Folder Access was off so I left it off. Yes I have restarted computer twice
    That's the path to the Quicken program shortcut. What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file?
  • Unknown
    Options
    C:\Users\HP\OneDrive\Documents\Quicken\Quicken
  • Unknown
    Options
    I still get "Unknown error in opening data file"
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Options
    You need to move the Quicken data file out of OneDrive. Try C:\Users\HP\Documents\Quicken
  • Unknown
    Options
    I tried that and I just uninstalled one drive, it seems to be more trouble than it's worth. I'm still getting the "unknown error in opening data file
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options
    Have you tried double-clicking the Quicken data file in Windows Explorer?  If you get the same error, restore a backup file.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thank you Gentlemen for all your help. It turned out that with the update to the new windows 10 this week it pulled up my Quicken 2017 account NOT the Quicken Premier I have been using so it would not recognize the file differences. Working MUCH better now! Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.