Credit card transaction edit help

During a grocery store trip, check out lady rang up total wrong and had to charge our credit card..02 (2 cents) to get the transaction to clear. (I'm not going to go into detail with happened but I just want to get quicken fixed.) so quicken imported only one of two transactions that day, June 5th. Should have been 94.53 and. 02. (To total 94.55). The. 02 never came through to Quicken. The credit card statement was already paid off on June 12th. So now that credit card is . 02 off.

Should I enter a manual transaction on that same day, June 5th, or will that mess up all totals? Or should I enter a 2 cent manual transaction today June 20th? Thanks for any help.

(I'm always very learly of entering manual transactions for fear of screwing up totals.)

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I suggest you mimic what appears on the statement you obtained from the financial institution.  If the statement includes the .02, your register should include the .02 entry.  If the statement doesn't include the .02, your register shouldn't need to include the .02.  If you enter the .02, I suggest you use June 5th as the transactions date.

We tend to enter most of our transactions into our Quicken file before they're available to be downloaded and imported from the financial institution.  This enables us to know our balances in advance.  When the transactions are imported, they normally match the transactions we entered and we may correct any that we may been improperly entered.
  • JJNCN
    JJNCN Member ✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    > I suggest you mimic what appears on the statement you obtained from the financial institution.  If the statement includes the .02, your register should include the .02 entry.  If the statement doesn't include the .02, your register shouldn't need to include the .02.  If you enter the .02, I suggest you use June 5th as the transactions date.
    >
    > We tend to enter most of our transactions into our Quicken file before they're available to be downloaded and imported from the financial institution.  This enables us to know our balances in advance.  When the transactions are imported, they normally match the transactions we entered and we may correct any that we may been improperly entered.

Thank you! The statement does have two transactions on that day, 94.53 and .02 cents. But we paid off that bill on June 12th. Would adding it in manually on June 5th screw up the balance column and screw up the ending balance?

So...you manually add all your credit card transactions prior to importing them? When you import your transactions, the syncing part, you don't have duplicates?
    Forgive me, I'm a newbie.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    JJNCN said:
    > @Sherlock said:
    > I suggest you mimic what appears on the statement you obtained from the financial institution.  If the statement includes the .02, your register should include the .02 entry.  If the statement doesn't include the .02, your register shouldn't need to include the .02.  If you enter the .02, I suggest you use June 5th as the transactions date.
    >
    > We tend to enter most of our transactions into our Quicken file before they're available to be downloaded and imported from the financial institution.  This enables us to know our balances in advance.  When the transactions are imported, they normally match the transactions we entered and we may correct any that we may been improperly entered.

Thank you! The statement does have two transactions on that day, 94.53 and .02 cents. But we paid off that bill on June 12th. Would adding it in manually on June 5th screw up the balance column and screw up the ending balance?

So...you manually add all your credit card transactions prior to importing them? When you import your transactions, the syncing part, you don't have duplicates?
    Forgive me, I'm a newbie.
    If the statement has the .02, you paid the .02 when you paid the bill.  Adding the .02 cents should not screw up the balance column and screw up the ending balance unless you included the .02 cents somewhere else in the register.

Manually entering transactions sounds worse than it is.  Most of our transactions are entered using reminders or quick entry with memorized payees.   The amounts may vary and we may tweak the memos and splits but no more than we would if we had waited for the transactions to import.

No duplicates.  Quicken matches the imported transactions to transactions we enter that have not already been matched to imported transactions.  

If you haven't already, you may want to review the built-in documentation on the topic:   press F1

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @JJNCN The main thing is to "reconcile" with your financial institution.  As in bring what is shown in Quicken in agreement with what they have.  If that means entering the .02 transaction into Quicken that didn't get downloaded, then that is what you should do.

Note that if you are reconciling to the Online balance that is number that you have to match.  If you are reconciling to the statement, then that is the date/amount you need to match.

I would bet even if the transaction didn't download, the Online balance is still correct.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • JJNCN
    JJNCN Member ✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    > (Quote)
    > If the statement has the .02, you paid the .02 when you paid the bill.  Adding the .02 cents should not screw up the balance column and screw up the ending balance unless you included the .02 cents somewhere else in the register.
    >
    > Manually entering transactions sounds worse than it is.  Most of our transactions are entered using reminders or quick entry with memorized payees.   The amounts may vary and we may tweak the memos and splits but no more than we would if we had waited for the transactions to import.
    >
    > No duplicates.  Quicken matches the imported transactions to transactions we enter that have not already been matched to imported transactions.  
    >
    > If you haven't already, you may want to review the built-in documentation on the topic:   press F1
    >
    > (Image)

It worked! Thank you! Online and ending balances match. Thanks!
  • JJNCN
    JJNCN Member ✭✭
    @Chris_QPW Yes I usually make sure that the online and ending credit card balances are equal. And yes the online balance was correct. For this .02 cent problem, Quicken actually categorized a .02 cent savings register interest income transaction as a credit card transfer. So when I found the problem in the savings register, and re-categorized it, I was then off the .02 cents in the credit card register. So then I figured out what went wrong with the grocery store transaction and the missing credit card transaction. Hindsight is 20/20...I need to make sure all imported transactions (which I import a few times a week) are categorized properly and actually correct, and that I'm not missing any credit card and banking transactions. Basically I need to pay closer attention to detail. :)
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well its good to hear that the transaction did download and was just categorization problem.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.