Investing Dashboard truncates security names, making them ambiguous

Options
Jim_Harman
Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
The Portfolio by Security and Value over Time panels of the new Investing Dashboard truncate the security names to 12 characters.

This means that if you hold securities like Vanguard Total Stock Market, Vanguard Total Bond Market, and Vanguard Total International Stock Market, the are all listed as "Vanguard Tot" so you can't tell which is which.

The box that appears when you hover over the security name should be expanded so that the full security name is shown.
QWin Premier subscription

Best Answer

Answers

• studpup
    studpup Windows Beta Beta
    Options
    That happens a lot, even at higher resolution, you still have limits on how much you can see. Sometimes the fields can be resized, the investing dashboard appears you can't. My solution was to Edit Security Details and add the ticker to the front of all my securities:
    "VTI-Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund ETF Shares"
    "VT-Vanguard Total World Stock Index Fund ETF Shares"
    Makes keying in new transactions much faster too. 

wags Glad to be here!

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks, @Studpup, I may be reduced to that. 

This does feel like going back to the days of 8-character file names, though.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • studpup
    studpup Windows Beta Beta
    Options
    Also, when I close account or no longer watch a security, I rename it to start with a tilde, so it wont appear when I'm typing and if I choose from the list, those accounts will be on the bottom. Often quicken mistakenly suggests hidden/closed accounts when keying in transactions.

Yes, all my files the first few letters are unique so I can type those and TAB to complete the command. Long live CMD.COM  :D

wags Glad to be here!