Home Current Online Banking Issues

RESOLVED:Citi Cards Direct Connect is now broken

Answers

• Bob.Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27
    The Intuit list of financial institutions supported by Quicken shows both Direct and Express Web connect for Citi Credit Cards. But that was last updated 3/12/2019
  • gwj123gwj123 Member ✭✭
    > @Bob. said:
    > Thanks for that. Why would all my credit cards be set at Direct Connect of Web Connect works? What is the actual difference? Anyone know? I will search to see what I can find.

To clarify , I switched Citi to "express web connect", which still does auto download, the "web connect" you have to manually export from citi.
  • Bob.Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks. I still confuse those two.
  • leishirsuteleishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    Bob. said:

OK. Just chatted and found it. There are two obvious places - this is the second one. I show Quicken 2018 though I am using 2020. I show successful last night, so must be ok as far as Citi is concerned.
    Yes.  2018 shows for me as well and I'm using the current download from Quicken.
    Quicken Deluxe R29.22; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    edited June 27
    Related link:
    [removed self-referencing link]
    They should probably be merged.

• Bob.Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have exactly the same issues after a successful download at 7:00 PM PST yesterday. What has me the most confused here is that I never got a notice nor performed any change to my Quicken login and password for Citi. Same as my Web login and has always worked until this morning.

Following both threads, of course. And thanks for the explanations.
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adding my voice to the chorus. 2 different Citi Cards get OL-332-A on both R26.23 and R27.24, and cannot be reconnected to use Direct Connect.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Bill BBill B Member ✭✭
    When trying to one step update transactions from Citi Bank Credit Cards I get a OL-300, OL-330 message saying that my log in information is incorrect but I know it is not incorrect as I can sign in to my account via the web site.This is a return of the same problem we experienced a few months ago. It started right after the last update. Please advise.
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Boatnmaniac Thank you for getting this confirmation on what the problem is.
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited June 27
    @Boatnmaniac I second those thanks.

How in the world did you ever get to someone at Citi Cards who knew anything about Direct Connect? My attempts have resulted in responses ranging from "what's Quicken?" to a supervisor claiming that they don't support Direct Connect.

All my history, testing, and info from @Chris_QPW about fidir.txt seems to point to the login process not working, rather than needing separate Direct Connect credentials or Direct Connect being unsupported.

Although Quicken tech support seems reasonable, they really should be aware of things like this and where the problem lies.
  • BoatnmaniacBoatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27
    Jim said:
    @Boatnmaniac I second those thanks.

How in the world did you ever get to someone at Citi Cards who knew anything about Direct Connect? My attempts have resulted in responses ranging from "what's Quicken?" to a supervisor claiming that they don't support Direct Connect.

All my history, testing, and info from @Chris_QPW about fidir.txt seems to point to the login process not working, rather than needing separate Direct Connect credentials or Direct Connect being unsupported.

Although Quicken tech support seems reasonable, they really should be aware of things like this and where the problem lies.
    I learned a long time ago that FI Customer Support personnel, especially at the larger FI's, typically know squat about their technical services.  They seem to be mostly focused on the business side of things.  I'll try them first, especially when a Tech Support number is not listed, and if they don't know I then request to be connected with someone in their Tech Support or Tech Services team.  Sometimes it takes some persistence and patience because it's not uncommon to be passed around from one person to the next but usually I end up getting connected with someone who knows something about what's going on with Quicken...maybe not knowing all the details but at least enough to be able to give me a high level summary.  This time it took me about 20 minutes to get connected to the right person.
    In this case, the guy I talked with couldn't (or wouldn't) tell me much other than to say that DC is among the things that is being worked on.
    There are usually several different ways FIs can block access and each of them might produce a different error code in Quicken.  Sometimes they flat out block login attempts.  Other times they refuse to recognize login attempts which is what appears to be the case with this instance.
    When an FI connection URL changes it requires several things to be coordinated between the FI and Intuit/Quicken (mostly Intuit).  My observation is that usually the FI List getting updated tends to trail the FI getting their system updated.  My guess is this time that has been reversed.
    Regarding Quicken Support:  Yes, they probably should know more about what is going on but Quicken does not control the FI List, especially with regard to DC connections.  That falls into Intuit's and the FI's lap.  And I have to wonder how well either of them thinks about looping in Quicken on these types of things.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R29.22 on Windows 10)
  • Tom11Tom11 Member ✭✭✭
    Getting an Error 15500 on Quicken For Mac, up to date version.
  • Bill BBill B Member ✭✭
    > @Boatnmaniac said:
    > I just confirmed with Citicards tech support that Citi has blocked access for DC connections while they are performing system maintenance.  No ETA was provided for when this maintenance would be completed other than it might get completed today or it might be tomorrow. 
    > This is NOT a Quicken version or revision issue...it affects ALL versions and revisions (as is evidenced earlier in this thread).So, we just need to sit tight until Citi completes their maintenance.EWC and Web Connect are available for those who simply cannot wait for Citi to complete their maintenance.
  • Bill BBill B Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the info. Will wait and see what happens. You would think that Citi would post some sort of notice alerting customers of maintenance issues. Thank again
    Bill B said:
    Thanks for the info. Will wait and see what happens. You would think that Citi would post some sort of notice alerting customers of maintenance issues. Thank again
    I agree but unfortunately it does not appear that most FIs do provide notice...at least not the FIs I work with.  Getting a notice from them is few and far between.
    Bill B said:
    I agree but unfortunately it does not appear that most FIs do provide notice...at least not the FIs I work with.  Getting a notice from them is few and far between.
    I think it reflects something that most Quicken users don't want to admit.  Quicken users are a very small minority for these financial institutions and as such they wouldn't want to post notices on their websites that might confuse/worry their "regular customers".

I do see notices from time to time, but of course it is always about if the website or parts of the website are going to be down.
    edited June 27
    UPDATE:  I was just able to set up my CitiCards in a test file.  It took an unusually long time to do so for a DC connection (just over 3 minutes to complete) but it worked!
    Correction: What got set up was EWC, not DC.  I tried to update with DC in my main file and still get the OL-332-A error code.  Sorry for the false signal.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    Quicken users may be a minority, but Citi Cards has a special place in my heart for having some of the worst tech support, testing of updates, and resolution of outstanding issues that I've ever seen.  I have worked in tech for 20 years for a major FI and Citi Cards' technical update and resolution process is a model for failure.  Customer service is also awful.  Maybe too big to fail.

For example:
    1. the Citi Cards VAN app doesn't work on Windows 10
    2. the payment page was nonfunctional for probably a full month a while back (this should matter, right?)
    3. the payment page has not worked for many months when you select "pay last statement balance" (you need to enter the amount as "custom")
    4. alerts for account balances sometimes never appear or are most of a day late
    UPDATE:  I was just able to set up my CitiCards in a test file.  It took an unusually long time to do so for a DC connection (just over 3 minutes to complete) but it worked!
    Correction: What got set up was EWC, not DC.  I tried to update with DC in my main file and still get the OL-332-A error code.  Sorry for the false signal.
    That is something that people will have know for the future.
    In the past if you setup with "Citi Cards" you got Direct Connect by default.  Whatever they changed as changed this and Express Web Connect is now the default.  So people will now have to be told to take the extra step to go into the Advanced Settings to make sure they get Direct Connect.

After this is over (the stop blocking the log in) I will recheck and see if that is what changed the behavior, but I doubt it, I believe it is that they changed the information on how to do the connection and such now Express Web Connect is the default.
    Chris_QPW said:
    That is something that people will have know for the future.
    In the past if you setup with "Citi Cards" you got Direct Connect by default.  Whatever they changed as changed this and Express Web Connect is now the default.  So people will now have to be told to take the extra step to go into the Advanced Settings to make sure they get Direct Connect.

After this is over (the stop blocking the log in) I will recheck and see if that is what changed the behavior, but I doubt it, I believe it is that they changed the information on how to do the connection and such now Express Web Connect is the default.
    I'd assumed that my test file account set up simply defaulted to EWC since DC was not available.  In my test file it does say that there is an improved connection method available and that could only be DC. 
    But you could be right.  Most of my credit cards are EWC and I'm guessing that's because it's lower cost for them.  Banks are under some financial pressures right now so maybe Citi decided this was an area where they could cut out some cost.  That would be disappointing since DC is a much better connection method than EWC.  Well, we shouldn't have to wait too long to find out.
    UPDATE:  OK, this time it's for real.  I just successfully updated my Citi cards with DC in my main account (not the test file).  My connection is via the Citi Cards link, not via Citibank.  Looks like Citi completed their system maintenance. (That's better than last weekend when Chase was down for maintenance from Friday evening until Sunday evening.)
  • Bob.Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Not for me :( Got the "have you changed your password", then tried again and still OL-332-A.
    Still not working for me.
    Bob. said:
    Not for me :( Got the "have you changed your password", then tried again and still OL-332-A.
    Did you try updating via OSU or Update Now?  I used Update Now.
    Sometimes, once that OL-332-A error code comes up, going into the PW Vault and reentering the account PW actually does work.
    Also, have you closed and reopened Quicken.  I've done that several times today so if there was something funky going on with memory that would have cleared it.
  • Bob.Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Tried both. Will try again.
  • Bob.Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    No good at all. Entered password again. Update. Nada.

How did you get it to work for you?
  • Bob.Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Should I try to reset the account?

• UnknownUnknown Member
    I tried adding accounts to a new data file from two Citi logins - one with and one without the Quicken app authorized.  This was done with:
    Add Account->Credit Card->Citi Cards->Advanced Setup->Direct Connect

Both resulted in the same failure:
      popup: You need login information from Citi Cards
      CONNLOG.TXT: We've had a problem processing your request.  Please try again later.

It appears that Direct Connect is not quite ready for prime time :-)
    At least this is different than yesterday and perhaps indicative of their system updates not being finished.
    edited June 27
    Hmmm....maybe I just got lucky the last time.  I just tried Update Now, again, and got the OL-332-A error code.  When I worked for Dell sometimes after doing system maintenance they would flip the switch on and some little issue would be identified causing them to flip the switch off, again.  I'm done on this for tonight.  Hopefully by tomorrow morning we'll be able to put this all behind us.
This discussion has been closed.